Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We were told this for months by some of the regular diehards on here. It seems that some of them have spent so long under British rule that they have become more British than the British themselves and thought that getting the highest percentage automatically led to a majority of seats. Worse, they didn't understand the PR-STV system and thought SF were shafted by it and that those elected on the fifth count were or less importance. It was bonkers stuff.

The real clever play after the next election will be for FF to do a C&S with SF. SF won't have enough TDs with a brain for form a Cabinet so there will be some inevitable huge f-ups in the first few months, allowing for a new election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

where is this genius of thought coming from? From what I have ever seen you post or comment on, you dont really have much of an idea about SF, never mind who votes for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

A lot of talk and noise comes from Mary Lou and Sinn Fein. Nothing behind it is the problem.

I'm sure she did call them "twiddle dum and twiddle dee" because that about the level of political debate you get from Sinn Fein. It plays to a certain voter, the same people who think Pearse Doherty is a great TD with his faux outrage act for the last 5 years on every topic.

Sinn Fein problems start when people start to review their policies. The "tax the rich" works on the people who like name calling but once you get past that you see the entire policies they have invented are a stack of card.

In the last election a lot of people never analyzed their policies, this time that won't happen and it will be their manifesto which will get the most attention. Based on recent document thats when it will start to fall apart, like only SInn Fein would release an alternative budget with mistakes in it. That's not even considering the 28% error they made on the "tax the rich" nonsense they came up with

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They are 7 0r 8 points ahead of where they where in 2020.

Policies would seem to be holding up and attracting voters.

*I doubt those that place Doherty top of the candidate list in Donegal would agree with your assessment of him as a TD either. Didn't he poll enough to bring two in along with him. 'Certain' voters indeed.

• Advertisement

Now, this is interesting.

RBB says don't attend, Taoiseach is double-booked so won't attend, so will SF anger their rich backers in the US and stay away? Big dilemma.

If these 'rich backers' are backing SF without being aware of their very open and transparent views on these matters then it their own problems.

Is there a precedent for this...what 'rich backers' voiced their anger before when SF spoke out on American aggression and imperialism or on Israel?

Most people will never read policies from one election to another. Hence why you have Sinn Fein slip flopping round for years now on every topic and people still unaware. Carbon Tax is excellent example when most of the minions have no idea that Sinn Fein don't want to get rid of carbon tax.

It's like immigration which a lot of Sinn Fein "supporters" thought they went along with the "IrElAnd iS fUlL" mentality till it came out recently.

In regards to Pearse, you would need to ask the people of Donegal why they voted him in. IMO the whole faux outrage act is extremely boring at this stage, especially when it clear the guy is totally out of his depth in opposition let alone putting him in government. Remember 28% error. If it was any other party he would be moved along quickly but sure slim pickings after him.

Wasn't Pearse going around telling everyone in Donegal they should get a brand new house build etc for Mica, the old magic money tree in action for Sinn Fein.

Most people will never read policies from one election to another. 

If most people don't read policies, why would anyone's policies be important then? I actually want a political party that can change their policy if it becomes clear it is wrong or no longer suitable.

In regards to Pearse, you would need to ask the people of Donegal why they voted him in. IMO the whole faux outrage act is extremely boring at this stage, especially when it clear the guy is totally out of his depth in opposition let alone putting him in government. Remember 28% error. If it was any other party he would be moved along quickly but sure slim pickings after him.

This is where your opinion is at variance with those who elect him with a massive majority. I'll stick with the opinion of 21,044 Donegal people over some random person who doesn't like SF in general TBH.

Already explained and no interest in thousands of posts about the topic. It's tiresome.

In terms of Pearse I couldn't care less what you think, remember people voted in Violet Anne in the last election. I think that tells it's own story.

"over some random person who doesn't like SF in general TBH."

As usual you are reduced to childish comments about the poster and not the topic in hand. Deja vue on every topic when the SF propaganda isn't working.

• Advertisement

Well you don't like SF, that is clear and you want us to think your dislike of Doherty is rational.

I'll remind you that every single TD was 'elected' by people, 'certain' or otherwise.

You haven't explained why 'policies' are important if 'most people don't read them'.

When writers for the Ditch are having a go at SF, you know there are ructions in the left wing of the party.

Grab the popcorn for the next few years.

What are SF's policies?

Since you dont think Manfesitos are worth anything, how do we know what they are going to do.

My reaching a view on the suitability of a candidate or party is my own business. Thread isn’t about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I see John Lee in the Pale and Male has an article about a bit of rumptions going on in SF. Even got a few quotes from a front bencher. Turns out even they felt the motion last week was a fiasco. Seems the lads up North are still able to dictate policy in the “Free State”.

Big Tent politics might prove challenging for SF.

You speak like there was never an internal spat or row in any other party ever.

I suppose we’ll gave to put up with the imminent implosion scoops from now to the election.

All parties have spats and that wasn’t what I was suggesting as well you know.

Usually watertight from SF when it comes to party decisions, structures, who the power brokers are etc.

A senior member of the party giving a quote off the record to a hack from the Daily Mail expressing dissatisfaction with the leadership and the decision to call a vote of confidence in the MoJ must be a first. In fairness they’ve probably moved on from doing a Denis Donaldson on whoever it was if they were to find out.

Bullying claims, a few terrible opinion polls, struggling to keep the online army under control on Twitter, Mary Lou looking bored and uninterested. You wouldn’t have to be a party member to know something isn’t right at the moment.

Who gave the quote?

*I can guess the answer to this one. We have years of Sindo/Mail ‘sources say’ stories after all. Yawn.

You do know what off the record means? Not everyone is out to get the Shinners. They are now playing county hurling and are subject to the same criticism and scrutiny as other political parties. This is normal and the howls of unfairness and the abuse from the hardcore lads on Twitter is falling on deaf ears.

Yeh I do and I know how The Daily Mail use the ‘off the record’ quote too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The demographics will look after themselves when it comes to the State pension; Eoin can build houses for 250k a pop, Cullinane has a very detailed plan to solve the entire health service in 2 terms in office, and Réada Cronin will finally provide us with proof that 911 was an inside job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yup, pretty much that is the basis of their policies. You can add "Tax the rich" and "Community Policing" to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

It's ironic that Sinn Féin essentially ended the civil war politics between Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael, only for it to restart because Fine Gael and Sinn Féin hate each other... because of civil war politics!

True that.

I don't think any of them 'hate' each other all that much. What we are seeing with the rise of SF is the hate of losing power. First we had C&S > tacit merger > next step, full merger? or they accept the political dynamic has shifted and change is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

Yeah they don't really hate each other, it's just the hardliners really.

Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael could merge, with possibly conservatives splits. On the other hand, Fianna Fáil could pivot to being more conservative and rural (not under Martin), which would set them apart from Fine Gael again. Either Fianna Fáil gets squeezed into a merger, or Fine Gael gets squeezed into being a minor party.

I think a lot of people have a fantasy of Sinn Féin getting into government, screwing everything up, losing most of their support, and then politics resets. But I think Sinn Féin is more likely to end up like the establishment parties, and one of the current parties will get pushed out. At the moment it is really hard to judge though, especially with the election likely over a year out.

Im not talking about you specificily, im talking about in general.

As the most ardent SF supporter on this site, its surprising you wont answer this.

"Vote for SF, just cause.." wont cut the musturd

SF has gone back to the tried and trusted issue of roaring about housing.

But the DM article by John Lee raises important points.

If we get an SF minister, will they have to go to the boys in West Belfast to get permission about this or that?

How ill Irish people feel that essentially non-EU foreigners are dictating policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

No one born on the island of Ireland is a foreigner.

Advertisement