Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,783 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

They blew up a school (looks to be a controlled demolition) in northern Gaza because the IDF was ambushed in a school in southern Gaza?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe wrong school for my post.

Northern Gaza will be an empty buffer zone, so not really applicable either way, the school will only lie there for years empty anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Your posted video has the school located in "Beit Hanoun in northern Gaza."

Your source states that the ambush was in "Khan Younis city in the southern Gaza Strip"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It's ok, the poster has found another reason to justify blowing up a school.

How many more entry points? And who is securing them and opening hem up - is it the IDF/Israel?

As far as I'm aware, Egypt has not had any problem letting aid through - the issue is on the Gaza side with aid not being allowed in. And also as far as I'm aware, the UN has been consistently requesting aid to be let through.

I think it is more a case of Israel stepping up and pulling its finger out and letting the aid through. It would be the humanitarian thing to do to minimise further losses of the civilian population due to hunger/sickness.

Out of interest, is this the school I think might have been reported on RTE (this week) as a school that was part funded by Irish tax payers?

No reason was needed but that it was decided upon.

• Advertisement

Maybe check your sources before posting.

Norther Gaza is a rubble pile - not a buffer zone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The meaningless and legally non-binding UNGA debate and vote is underway.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the pumping of seawater in to the tunnel system has begun.

Expected to take weeks to completely flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Don't worry everyone, the Islamist and Leftist position is not about killing the Jews ...

Oh wait:

Genocide is Free Speech According to Idiots - YouTube

US universities are not known for being hotbeds of far right, white supremacist racism. Or indeed any kind of free thought or discourse. Yet some of the top American 3rd level institutions seem to be "safe spaces" for the calling of genocide against Jews, and the targeted harassment of Jewish students on their campuses.

Or how about Australia, where this "mostly peaceful protest" called for gassing the Jews? I don't see any MAGA hats in that video.

You want to know why more and more Jews are fleeing to Israel and being militaristic AF once they get there? I don't - If I were Jewish I'd be packing my bags to go somewhere that isn't controlled by Islamists or far-Leftists.

To me, this is a binary situation that indicates absolute moral clarity. You're either on the side of the Jews, or on the side of those that want to kill them. I don't really see any middle ground as a practical matter.

Would it be correct to assume then that any/all hostages are no longer in those tunnels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Blumenthal and anybody to do with Grayzone are not remotely trustworthy. The Grayzone is a front for pro-Russia and pro-Assad propaganda. They're "pro-Palestine" merely because Israel is allied with the US, not out of any genuine concern for Palestinian lives.

The whole Grayzone thing is a massive grift. Anybody who is pro-Russia and pro-Assad but claims to support Palestinians is also a grifter. And there are plenty of other grifters claiming to be "pro-Palestine" like Jackson Hinkle, Lucas Gage, Anastasia Maria Loupis.

Pretty much everything Israel and its "Team Israel" online supporters say at this stage amounts to grifting.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

First of all, you've engaged in anti-Semitism there by conflating Israel with "the Jews". Israel does not equal "the Jews".

Calling to "gas the Jews" would obviously be a call for genocide. But how many people involved in pro-Palestine protest worldwide have this view? It's an absolutely tiny amount as far as I can see and none of them have any power, whereas the call for genocide and the practice of genocide is indivisible from what Israel now is. It is state policy and it's the policy of pretty much everybody internationally who supports Israel.

I agree this is a binary situation. One is either in favour of the genocide of Palestinians or one is not. You have decided that you are in favour of it.

What is happening in US universities at the moment is a disgrace. I'd strongly recommend the below article by the ever excellent Peter Beinart.

Main points:

Harvard and other major US universities are being effectively blackmailed by wealthy pro-Israel donors and US politicians.

Harvard and other major US universities have set up anti-Semitism taskforces made up of people with little or no expertise in relevant fields, who are overwhelmingly pro-Israel, while ignoring eminent people in the discipline of Jewish studies and other relevant academic disciplines such as study of the Israel-Palestine conflict itself.

The IHRA definition of anti-Semitism is bullshlt because it classes anti-Zionism as automatic anti-Semitism, which it is not. The Jersualem Declaration on Anti-Semitism which is much more informed by actual genuine academic inquiry does not conflate being anti-Israel with being anti-Semitic.

This clamping down on criticism of Israel has had a chilling effect on free speech in US universities (cheerled by the laughably hypocritical self styled right-wing pro-“free speech” brigade) and is a two fingers to actual academic inquiry and is in reality a pro-Israel political project which threatens to undermine the discipline of Jewish studies itself.

Meanwhile Israel and the Israel lobby ignores genuine anti-Semitism as long as it is perpetrated by people who are sympathetic to Israel. Elon Musk is the latest and highest profile example.

• Advertisement

UNGA: 153 member states voted in favour, 10 against and there were 23 abstentions.

So, assuming Israel continues destruction of civilian infrastructure in Gaza (last I read 60% of living accommodation was destroyed/damaged beyond use) gone), where will whatever is left of the Palestinian population live or go?

And if that is the case, is Israel not simply perpetuating what has been going on since the 1940s - i.e. they will remain surrounded by people and nations that bear a very strong grudge against them? And therefore they are destined to be forever afraid of whatever might happen next? It all seems so pointless. I see no "win" here for Israel.

Talks on a two-State solution would surely be in everyone's interest?

Who knows.

If it takes weeks they'll all have time to be taken out, same as the jihadis will be able to walk out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's not in interest of the Israeli right. The last thing they want is a political settlement.

This is why they propped up Hamas over the last few years.

My problem there, with the statement from AUS etc is that they demand that Israel respect international law, and prevent civilian deaths, but also agree that Israel has a right to eliminate the threat that Hamas poses from Gaza(wrong wording, I can't remember).

It's easy to say that from the chair in the UN, but how can that square be circled (apologies for the idiom)?

Yes - the irony of propping up a terrorist organisation.

But if the right becomes overwhelmed by local and international pressure (elections perhaps?) and Netanyahu (and others) gets the comeuppance reported on since the start of this conflict/war, surely the only game in town is a two state solution? Or continue with the deja vu.

I see Biden said today that Israel does not get to say "no" to a two-state solution.

The reason I'm on this track - whilst looking for reference to the Irish funded school blown up earlier this week, I thought I'd found a source. Until I looked at the date of the report. You'd be hard pressed to figure out the report was from July 2014 and not in the last couple of months.

'The world stands disgraced' - Israeli shelling of school kills at least 15 | Benjamin Netanyahu | The Guardian

So, how the heck does this end? The wiping out/forced repatriation of all Palestinians or a two-state solution? Or something else?

Unless I'm reading you wrong, I don't see see a conflict between respecting humanitarian law and a right to defend oneself against terrorists.

What Israel is doing though is pretty much carpet bombing Gaza to destroy those terrorists and thereby taking out a very large number of civilians and other non combatants. I think that's what has public opinion turning against Israel - not the principle that they can do it but their methods of doing it.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread supporting Hamas. I think many here are simply against the civilian slaughter by the Israelis of innocent civilians.

You're either against imperialism or you're not, it doesn't or cannot depend on who's perpetrating it. The Grayzone are pro-imperialism when it's perpetrated by Russia. So they are not anti-imperialism, they are pro-imperialism.

Glenn Greenwald is another king sized gobshlte who is a thinly veiled booster for Trump, Putin and the "anti-woke" agenda who interviews the likes of Ben Scallan from the far right Gript in this country.

Bellingcat are a reliable source. They are not "deep state", because "deep state" as it is used as a term of abuse doesn't exist in reality. Sources which have hitched their wagon to the mast of Israel obviously do exist to a greater or lesser degree. But there are also "Team Palestine" sources which are deeply untrustworthy.

It is obvious which sources have hitched their wagon to the "Team Israel" mast and which are (at least) objective.

I'd recommend Oz Katerji and Bruno Macaes as good objective international accounts to follow on Twitter. Channel 4 News is as good as you'll get for objective coverage in the western media. Israel's Haaretz is excellent too because they are not "Team Israel" and are extremely objective in their coverage while being close to the heart of the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Zionist crowd are apoplectic with rage at Jewish people who say they oppose the bombing of Gaza, calling them "traitors" and "not real Jews" and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

First of all, mathematically speaking, your position on Israel and the Jews is not sound given that a plurality of the worlds Jews live in Israel.

Jews - Wikipedia

So I reject your accusation of anti-Semitism out-of-hand. IMO There is no solution to the Middle East problem unless it includes safety for the 7 to 7.5 million Jews who live in Israel. Secondly, all the stuff I highlighted isn't targeting Israelis, like the mob in Cooper Union or the protest in Australia where the delightful people waving the Palestine flags outside the Sydney Opera House. They were all very clearly targeting Jews. "Israel" was just the scapegoat, if it was even relevant at all.

Secondly, you cannot blame Elon Musk or the "far right" or whatever for anti-Semitism since the above actions had nothing to do with the Right.

Thirdly, the fact that those who do want to actually gas the Jews supposedly don't have the power to do so right now, isn't really reassuring. There was a time when a certain moustachioed painter was just rabble rouser in the beer halls in Germany.

As to what I favour, I'm not in support of any particular action by Israel or another, per-se. But I am broadly in support of their right to exist and to do whatever is necessary to annihilate groups like Hamas, PIJ etc. Because these groups have made it clear that this is a fight to the death.

Advertisement