Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭John arse

Fluck sake- Get Lottie on!!!😤

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I think PK is a good presenter ... but I think the material the last 2 shows was woeful ... it was Tubridy at his worst type stuff ... Luv Islanders, Dancing With The Stars, fake 'stars' like Joanne McNally ... if RTE cannot see that this is what is so wrong in this show and the station in general they haven't learned a thing from what has been going on the past 6 months ...

People like Joanne McNally and Doireann Garrihy ... both who are high profile presenters of drivel ... seriously annoy people and people either with no job or working hard are seriously annoyed by these and the money they make, the breaks they get, etc. for doing FA and for no special ability ...

As said before the Late Late Show does not have to be political or heavy to be good ... PrimeTime is doing that ... as said discussions on classic books like Handmaid's Tale, 1984, Clockwork Orange and impact on society today, 1950s/1960s rock 'n' roll, the impact of Irish music on US music, JFK's Irish visit, classic film directors like Hitchcock, Kubrick, Spielberg, etc. and their best films, the history behind Halloween/Christmas/Bridget's Day/Patrick's Day/etc. and countless more could be discussed as topics .... so much more could be done like this and it does not have to be a choice between discussing wars or interviewing dimwits ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Just off the top of my head,I’m thinking about all those people who were able to move from Dublin to down the country because of WFH. Would be interesting to hear how they’re getting on.

Also volunteers working in dog shelters which are all bursting at the seams with unwanted dogs. How hard is it for them?

There are loads of people with interesting stories he could have on. These C listers are not interesting and the show will die if it continues down this vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

Just off the top of my head,I’m thinking about all those people who were able to move from Dublin to down the country because of WFH. Would be interesting to hear how they’re getting on.

Anecdotally you hear of some being requested to go back to office a few days a week, I think only 250K workers were working full time from home at census last April. You can see from traffic now that alot more people are on the road now than even 6 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Nationwide is what you're describing.

As for the other guy, JFKs visit & 50/60 rock, Jesus Christ

Yes, that struck me. Nationwide is often interesting. I generally find ordinary people far more interesting than these nobodies who are niether funny nor intelligent and have nothing to say worth hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think last week they were trying a comedy night. Most were a comedian of some form or other, expect for SO'Sullivan who was there really to promote Ireland's Fittest Family.

Is next week the last show before the New Year?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 72,597 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Jicama and Oca

Whoops posted in the wrong thread!

It’s been a long day. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I don't know, but I would think there will be a show on Dec.22.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nope, RTE1 on December 22nd will have...

• Pat Shortt's Entertainment from D'Telly Christmas Special (repeat)
    • Eastenders
    • Neven's Christmas at Muckross Traditional Farms (repeat)
    • News
    • Bad Boys for Life (Will Smith movie)
    • Dancing in the Moonlight - The RTÉ Concert Orchestra Plays the Music of Thin Lizzy (repeat)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Thank you, nothing to get too excited about in that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Desperate stuff isnt it? And robbing us of a watch thread that night.

Didnt they cancel the staff xmas party?

Otherwise Id have said it was going to be on that night...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Christmas special this week, probably one of his agreed pre-records. No show on 22nd.

RTE advertising repeats, and Virgin Media advertising the repeats of The Restaurant that they've shown for about 3 or 4 consecutive years.

How do these folks think that traditional television will survive when they're not even trying? It's gonna be streaming and streaming going forward.

What are they going to stream? Classic episodes of The Resturant?

TLLS on friday night had 297k adult viewers, and was beaten to the top spot by Nationwide with 322k !

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 86,441 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Patrick Kielty to host Late Late Show New Year's Eve special with special guests and familiar faces (are they not nearly always familiar faces)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Advertisement

Netflix, Amazon Prime, Paramount +, Disney +. There won't be anyone tuning in to live television in a great while, and there's already very few who do watch tv. It would probably be none if high speed internet were available all over the country.

At the moment, speaking just for me, the only stuff I tune in to on TV is the news and the weather. Because of the weather, my internet can be volatile in the evenings, so I still tune into the news and weather on Tv. Either that or record it if I'm not going to be home.

Trying to get the news or weather or the RTE player is a nightmare.

My point is that RTÉ's and VMTV's streaming services are no better than their broadcasting services, you are right people are moving from broadcast TV to those brands due to content, RTÉ and VMTV have very little outside of News, Sport and Weather on any platform.

Why do you think Irish people had a high take up of Cable and watch via overspill, it wasn't just because TnaG and TV3 didn't exist, it was because content across these services is not something all that desirable.

Irish broadcasters have a real up hill battle, but they have no idea where to start. (TG4 has to punch above it weight due to Language).

Even if you look at their YouTube channels , RTÉ's most popular Video remains Horse Outside from 13 years ago with 22m view with a promo for KIN getting 879k 9 months as this years most watch item from their YouTube Channel. (I am not saying that RTÉ should be massively focused on YouTube but if these are the stats for you tube).

In the last 6days they have published just 14 videos, of which only Fair City reaches above 1k (along with a promo for a documentary), though soaps do well on the RTÉ player (as I said over in another thread Soap is Dead, TV is Dead! Long live TV Soap), you'd think they would have promos for their other bought in Soaps.

Even their News You Tube channel isn't getting many hits. Virgin Media isn't doing much better.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭supereurope

After a busy and tiring day, I felt like watching something nice and gentle, so Mary Berry on BBC1 it was. And then he popped up. Ugh.

As I said in a previous post, his success is very much tied to Love Island, so once that fades away, so will he.

And that's saying something, cos I don't find Jack Whitehall funny at all.

Sterling also had a show called 'Celebability'.. it has an imdb score of 3/10, and honestly, it's generous at that.

I saw about 5 minutes of one episode, late at night. And it made Keith Lemon look like Professor Brian Cox in comparison.

Not just a waste of time and money, but it actively made me feel stupid just looking at it. I'll never get those brain cells back.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭supereurope

Oh yes, Whitehall is awful as well, though he is slightly more bearable now he's embraced the fact he's rich and posh. In his earlier days, he tried to hide it and was all "cor blimey guv'nor, I'm just back from cleaning chimleys", not very convincingly.

Got photographed doing doing on the back of his blackberry phone too.

He's been trying to market himself as an actor, as of late. Not very successfully.

The movies where he's the lead generally garner 'rotten' ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

This Late Late Show needs to be a little better tonight after 2 abysmal weeks of pure Tubridy-esque shyght .... Not at all surprised to see this:

Thousands of RTE Late Late Show viewers switch off amid complaints over line-up - Limerick Live (limerickleader.ie)

Last week's show was the WORST one yet from Patrick Kielty's era ... defo the most Tubridy-centric and Tubridy fav guest Joanne McNally defo the worst guest so far ... if this show does not end this airhead smut rubbish it will not succeed .... people are sick to the teeth of ones like McNally and of Luv Island and of the RTE canteen ... and of so called 'celebs' and 'stars' in general ... it is time for something better surely ?? ..

Changing the host does not mean a thing if the content remains extremely poor ... last week's show was The Late Late Show at its very worst ... it might as well have had Tubridy on as host as all these guests were pure and utter Tubridiquean fodder ...

Let’s do this!

• Gaybo used to have a few “ordinary” (unknown) people with interesting stories/debating to be made, sometimes amusing as they might be countering some proposed argument by another guest.

• Advertisement

• Love the adjective Tubridiquean

Advertisement