Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

As far as I know that 10euro per day food cost was never instated, feel free to provide a link to confirm what you stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

The Government knows to well they have really screwed up here. Country full of people here for the benefits and wait till you hear RTE interviewing all the same people who are making money on the back of them crying about how unfair it is. Even the biggest culprit in all of this O Gorman is now saying that the country was seeing a massive increase in refugees coming here for the benefits.

We told you so comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Everything comes down to money in Ireland. . . . FF/FG are only realising now the cash ain't there to continue sustaining those who don't want to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

Ukrainians are being charged for meals in some accommodation centres as there was a story in the Sunday Independent a few months ago saying they were objecting to paying €10 a day for their meals in Breaffy hotel in Mayo because international asylum seekers didn't have to pay.

The benefit changes announced yesterday didn't go far enough. Benefits should have been cut for those already here as well who are getting state accommodation and those in employment should have to pay towards cost. It took the government over a year and a half to act on something that was obvious to many for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

What surprises me most is how our TDs could be so out of touch with public sentiment, their voters. I know from talking to work colleagues, friends and family that there have been grave misgivings about a lot of what has gone on over the last year. Are TDs that insulated from what goes on in their communities, do they not have friends or family, who maybe are struggling with the cost living, asking how Irish taxpayers are funding the unsustainable nonsense that is now happening? Genuine question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone caught destroying their own passports should be charged and jailed

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Prisons are full and why should the tax payer foot the bill again. Simple check as to what documents were used to board transport to Ireland. Held until enough for a flight back to country of origin. Far cheaper and more affective. Ireland must be the biggest security threat to the whole of the west. No documentation or anything to gain entry to this country. A total joke of a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

Contact your local TD and ask them. I know I did there seems to be a consensus of omertà regarding this topic which can only mean it’s centrally mandated - mention any other topic and they are straight back. I contacted the minister for social welfare also to ask a simple question are we legally bound to pay social welfare to EU nationals who stay here greater than 12 weeks after three attempts I back a lot of complexity which didn’t clarify anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The penny is finally dropping that Politicians can use the immigrant card to bang the populist drum for pre election support to great effect. England have made a dog’s dinner out of immigration, dividing the country and causing hate & blame when they could fix it if they wish.

I was living in the U.K. 2016 when the preventable Brexit disaster happened. The same applied there - politicians could’ve easily done something to prevent immigration becoming an issue instead they chose to use it to serve their own interests. Immigration is a gift that keeps on giving and sod any fall out as local communities and local governments can sort it out with limited resources. Which brings us back to the problem here of local communities struggling to manage with housing & accommodation.

This is a political choice with a government failing to listen to people’s concerns and failing to address the housing problem.

Sadly, I see Ireland going down the same path as the U.K. where immigration is seen as the whole problem & root cause of unrest when it’s all down to political choice and main stream media failing to make politicians accountable for disastrous policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He literally invited them here in multiple languages , remember that?

Correct, now he's scrambling around trying to somehow bring some kind of regulation to it. To late and the decision on cuts etc is not going to make a difference.

The government are laughable. Well not really laughable when they have destroyed the country.

Jesus christ Someone on RTE calling these Draconian changes. We're soon going to see Draconian changes, but it will be in the destruction of our culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Lots of things thrown into that post that are not true at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

They get three months free usage

What’s your take on the rest of the “package” being offered? Is it something that’s sustainable in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Actually i'm wrong, Ukrainians can STILL get a free sim and phone.

"You can get a free SIM card with 3 months of free usage from any local post office. Bring your temporary permission letter. This is the letter that says you are living in Ireland under the Temporary Protection Directive."

Also free letters and parcels (to send to Ukraine, it used to be just carte blanche)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

An post offer a free SIM card and one month free. I don’t know what other networks offer. An post also waiver transfer fees for sending money to Ukraine 😂 and you can post letters (up to 100g) and postcards to Ukraine for free too.

https://www.anpost.com/Community/Support-for-Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

As.far as you know. Comical. It's reported everywhere as being in place so you provide a link stating it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone know what FG Senator Garrett Ahearn' thoughts are on this recent development to restrict new arrival benefits? is it mean-spirited? Should be reversed? Has his opinion shifted since July 2022?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I can't believe they are leaving the ones here on the gold plated benefits package that is better than anybody else gets. Tax payers that end up unemployed/pensioners etc get absolutely shafted compared to Ukranians and we are supposed to care that they are concerned that more new ones can't come to fleece us for what seems like an indefinite amount of time?

What an idiot country we are. Ongoing problems for years that apparently couldn't be solved. But we literally have unlimited money for gold plated benefits packages for new arrivals. It's showing a complete disdain for the population that live here and pay taxes to fund this.

Post edited by batman_oh on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I know O'Gorman sent out the invite in multiple languages but I am sure he wasn't doing it off his own back and it was discussed and agreed and cabinet that this would be done. I think if O'Gorman did it off his own back TD's in FG and FF would have turned on him considering the absolute mess it has made. I think certain politicians have been using this crisis as way to enhance their reputations when eyeing up other plum roles either in the EU or UN and as we have seen from the way they have tried to shut down any debate on this by labelling anyone with an opposing view either a racist or far right merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If you look over on the state benefits forum you'll see the hoops , mean tests and interrogations Irish people who have contributed for years face, compared to Ukranians handed everything on a plate, no questions asked. There isn't a hope in hell the 90 days only accommodation regulation will be enforced at any stage, can you imagine the outcry from NGOs if Ukranians were forced out.

A sim card isn't a phone

It's stated repeatedly in this thread they get free phones. They don't. It isn't true.

Terry Pratchet

That's like a chicken or egg scenario. What good is a SIM card without a phone? What good is a phone without a SIM card?

Both useless without the other.

I'm sure a Ukrainian can get a phone handed to them by an NGO if need be.

There is no free phones. At this stage its deliberate disinformation claiming there is.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Bang on, like usual they didn’t fix the cause of the problem, it will only open up another can of worms and problems.

Kick the can down the road as usual.

I just hope after 90 days they won’t be jumping the que for any local authority housing….

Ok, the government isn't giving Ukrainians free phones (devices) but they do give them free phone SIMS.

I'm pretty sure every Ukrainian already has a phone, so it's redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've no direct knowledge of this, but this is the current advice from Citizens Information (and they seem to keep updating advice, as they have info for Christmas / New Year 2023/24 there also):

"If you stay in accommodation where food is provided, you must pay a contribution of €10 per day for adults, and €5 per day for each child. You do not have to pay for your first 2 weeks. If you refuse to pay, you could be asked to leave.

If you refuse one offer of accommodation, you will not get any more offers."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Absolutely... For years we've been told that there's no easy fixes to our long-standing issues, or these things take time, need to be properly considered etc.

Yet here we are 20 months later with 100k+ refugees (and the rest) being met with full welfare and bonuses the Irish don't get, full entitlements to work, waivers on normal criteria around driving and insurance, medical cards, priority housing (including modular housing that we were told wasn't acceptable under planning previously) etc etc - and now they want to go home for Christmas to the warzone they fled in fear of the lives.... hmmmmmm!!

It's bad enough that all of this has been given at our expense without question, but worse again that these people are being given things that those who are paying for it all don't get, or are being pushed down the list as a result.

It's State-sponsorted and taxpayer-funded discrimination against the natives and legitimate citizens of this country by a Government that has no mandate from the electorate to be doing so. We haven't even really talked about the long term effects here of the inevitable family reunifications that'll be demanded, the consequences to the demographics of the country, the effects it'll have on the political and social arena when these people are given citizenship and start voting in their own representatives and so on.

None of these things would be an issue IF they had happened over a far longer timeframe, with properly enforced (and existing in the first place!) checks and balances and qualifying criteria, and the infrastructure to properly integrate these people - but instead we've allowed a free-for-all for most of the last 2 years and this is the result... a country that can't provide supports for not only these newcomers but its own citizens, and where any dissent or questions are shouted down, ignored or (soon - if McEntee gets her way) silenced under threat of prosecution.

As I said the other day, I fear this country has passed the point of no return. We are a impotent EU satellite state with a bunch of TDs completely beholden to the interests of the Commission and NGOs rather than the interests, security and stability of this country and its people. I can only assume the end goal is to completely dilute the notions of nationality, sovereignty and independence in favour of this grand multicultural dream (which hasn't suceeded anywhere else its been attempted). As self-obsessed as they are, our TDs aren't so blind that they can't see the effects and the growing discontent this is all causing so I can only presume they're "following orders" and/or have been promised golden parachutes for playing their roles.

The rest of us though.... well, those with the means will relocate. Everyone else will just have to live with the fallout of this debacle for decades to come.

Advertisement