Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You can legitimately say they have a right to eliminate Hamas, but not to murder unlimited innocent civilians in the process.

If there is one lad suspected of having an AK47 in the middle of a crowded refugee camp, you can say they can go in and get him if they want, but they can't nuke the entire camp from orbit killing everyone within a 500m radius because they think he might be Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It has nothing to do with hostages or Hamas. Pumping in seawater will destroy the few aquifers that Gaza has. Just another step in the great big game of ethnic cleansing and genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Conflating Israel and "the Jews" as you have done is anti-Semitism. There are no ifs or buts about this.

Israel itself does it, because it is a propaganda technique to lay the ground for the ludicrous situation we are in now that basically any criticism of Israel is automatically deemed anti-Semitic by supporters of Israel. At this stage supporters of Israel and propagandists for Israel are essentially indivisible.

It is Israel's propaganda technique that is anti-Semitic because they promote the lie that Jews = Israel.

Israel doesn't care that they promote this anti-Semitic fallacy because a lot of stupid people buy their bullshlt and it serves as a silencer of criticism.

Israel through Benjamin Netanyahu also promotes lies about the Holocaust. Netanyahu has seriously tried to claim that the Holocaust itself was a Palestinian idea, not a German one. Israel's firm propaganda line now is that Hamas are worse than the Nazis. This is basically Holocaust denial because it denies the unique evil that the Holocaust was.

Anti-Semitism is unquestionably a problem anywhere it exists. But Israel has relentlessly pushed for a fake and mendacious definition of what anti-Semitism is because such a fake definition benefits it massively in silencing opposition to its genocidal policies.

In reality:

Criticising the state of Israel is not anti-Semitic.

Saying that the creation of Israel was a mistake is not anti-Semitism in and of itself.

Proposing one state is not anti-Semitic.

Calling for "intifada" is not anti-Semitic in and of itself.

The "from the river to the sea" chant is not anti-Semitic in and of itself.

Comparing Israel's modus operandi to that of the Nazis is not anti-Semitic, if merited. Such comparisons are absolutely merited now.

To say otherwise is to propose a regime of crushing political correctness, to genuinely clamp down on free speech, to demand a chilling cancel culture. The "anti-woke" lunatics who mendaciously claim to be against political correctness, pro-free speech and anti-cancel culture, in reality they hold the exact opposite of each position they claim to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

The fact that a plurality of the worlds Jews now live in either Israel or the Disputed Territories, clearly and flatly contradicts most of that rubbish. It is mathematically nonsense. Calling for the destruction of Israel with chants like "From the River to Sea" would directly imperil about 7.5 million Jews.

Supporting the right of these people to exist in safety is not anti-Semitic. Anti-Semitism is what we've seen on US college campuses and among the Left mirroring the call of Iran and Hamas for the 7.5 million Jews to be driven From the River into the Sea.

It has nothing to do with "maths". Conflating Jews with Israel is one of the most pervasive anti-Semitic tropes around and you are repeating it.

Israel genociding another people has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with hotheaded revenge without strategy, and total disrespect for the right of another people to exist. Genocidal ideology.

Did you read the article by Peter Beinart I posted about what is happening on US college campuses? It is supporters of Palestinian rights who are being silenced and threatened in a chilling culture of clamping down on free speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Israel is roughly the same as the caliphate that ISIS was trying to set up there a while back. It's a religious state arbitrarily set up that continually settles land around it that is not theirs and it is killing non-believers in the process. Its leader proudly displayed a map of Israel with its borders expanded and Palestine completely wiped out. European and Americans Jews move to Israel and settle this land in the same way Muslims from around the world moved to the caliphate.

Post edited by sock.rocker* on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

First of all, mathematically speaking, your position on Israel and the Jews is not sound given that a plurality of the worlds Jews live in Israel.

Yeah, we've seen the videos of them, from London, Brooklyn, Florida, Budapest, Austria, Texas, Australia and so on, all saying that 'this is our land'. Not those people who can trace back 6 plus generations of their families living in the area. It's ours, OURS!

Maths and facts have everything to do with it. 7.4 million Jews - a plurality the total, depending on your count - live in Israel or the Disputed Territories. That's a fact. As to your piece, reviewed it briefly. Nothing there IIRC mentioned what would happen to the 7.4 million Jews if the anti-"Zionists" got their way.

Well, they tried various forms of a two-state solution (including accepting the original partition plan of 1947), then respecting revised borders until 1967 and most recently had abandoned the Gaza Strip in 2005, and none of it has worked ... so far.

Wrong again. The majority of Israeli Jews are either Mizrahi or Sephardi Jews who fled there. Full blood Ashkenazi Jews (a.k.a. the white ones) only comprise 30% of Israel's Jewish population. In all, 80% of Israeli Jews were born in Israel.

Israel - Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭StarryPlough01

THE GUARDIAN

Israeli military kills six in Jenin, Palestinian officials say – as it happened

UN general assembly votes to demand Gaza ceasefire

The UN general assembly overwhelmingly voted to demand an immediate humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza.​

The resolution for an immediate humanitarian ceasefire passed with 153 members voting in favor, 10 voting against, and 23 abstaining.​

The countries that voted against included:​

* The United States​

* Austria​

* Israel​

* Paraguay​

The United Kingdom voted to abstain.​

“The United Nations general assembly overwhelmingly voted to demand an immediate humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza. The ceasefire resolution passed with 153 members voting in favour, 10 voting against and 23 abstaining. The US, Israel and eight other countries – including Austria, Guatemala and Liberia – voted against the resolution.

"The US looked increasingly isolated on the world stage after the UN ceasefire vote, which highlighted the stiffening consensus around the world for the need to stop Israel’s relentless assault on Gaza. In contrast, the previous UN resolution calling for a “humanitarian truce” on 27 October attracted 120 votes in favour and 14 against, with 45 abstentions.​

"Joe Biden said Israel was starting to “lose support” from the international community due to its indiscriminate bombing in Gaza. The US president added that Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu needed to change his hardline government.​

"Israeli tank shelling on Tuesday was focused on the centre of Khan Younis, southern Gaza’s main city, residents said. Israeli airstrikes there killed 11 Palestinians, including two children, health officials said. Further south in Rafah, bordering Egypt, strikes killed 22 people including children, officials said.​

Starry:

Australia, New Zealand, Canada and India. …. (as news breaks on which countries abstained) VOTED IN FAVOUR OF RESOLUTION.

BUT... UN should send in blue helmets now. That’s the only way this vote will mean anything at all.

‘Australia shifts position to vote in favour of UN resolution calling for Gaza ceasefire’

‘Australia joins 152 nations to vote for resolution that expresses grave concern over ‘catastrophic humanitarian situation in the Gaza’

Daniel Hurst and Katharine Murphy

Wed 13 Dec 2023

Australia shifts position to vote in favour of UN resolution calling for Gaza ceasefire

"Australia has voted in favour of a humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza and an immediate and unconditional release of all hostages in an emergency session of the United Nations general assembly.​

"In a shift in position, Australia joined 152 other nations in voting in favour of the resolution on Wednesday morning. Canada and New Zealand also voted in favour.​

....​

• Advertisement

More detailed info from AP

UN General Assembly votes overwhelmingly to demand a humanitarian cease-fire in Gaza

By EDITH M. LEDERER

UN General Assembly votes overwhelmingly to demand a humanitarian cease-fire in Gaza

“UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.N. General Assembly voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday to demand a humanitarian cease-fire in Gaza in a strong demonstration of global support for ending the Israel-Hamas war. The vote also showed the growing isolation of the United States and Israel.​

"The vote in the 193-member world body was 153 in favor, 10 against and 23 abstentions, and ambassadors and other diplomats burst into applause as the final numbers were displayed. The United States and Israel were joined in opposing the resolution by eight countries — Austria, Czechia, Guatemala, Liberia, Micronesia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay.​

…​

“Tuesday’s vote showed major shifts in voting. More than 25 countries that abstained on Oct. 27 supported Tuesday’s cease-fire demand, including Albania, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, Greece, Iceland, India, Iraq, Japan, Latvia, Monaco, North Macedonia, Philippines, Poland, South Korea, Moldova, San Marino, Serbia, Sweden, Tunisia, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Zambia.​

"Croatia and Fiji went from voting no on Oct. 27 to voting yes on Tuesday, while Hungary, the Marshall Islands and Tonga went from voting no to abstaining.​

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

I'm not aware of any posters here supporting genocide. I'm not even aware of any posters who are supporting the Israeli Government and the IDF's actions in Gaza. I'm not going to reply directly to the details of a post full of hyperbole and false premises. If you can only see this as a binary discussion, and from your post that seems to be the case, then there's little point in engaging with you further. Shrill pearl-clutching is not a sound basis for a discussion.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not accusing you of being at him level but there are echoes of that moronic anti-Semite Boyd Barrett in your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I agree if Bibi and his Far right coalition along with Hamas are gone after this war there might be a chance for a political settlement. As things stands Bibi does not want the PA to take over in Gaza after the war,the Americans if the political will is there can force the issue , but will they is the question. All Bibi really cares about is staying in power this is the real reason he is intent on continuing the war, he hopes by crushing Hamas he can rehabilitate his image as Mr Security and remain in power. I don't think it will work, but it won't stop him from trying.

Post edited by nacho libre on

You are not aware of any poster supporting the IDF actions in Gaza. Do you have certain posters on ignore or not read through the discussion from where you left off, I ask because there are posters who fully endorse what the IDF are doing and have described them as using a kid gloves approach to Gaza. A view clearly at odds with how even their closest allies sees the war being conducted in Gaza.

It has nothing to do with it. You are continually repeating the anti-Semitic trope that Jews = Israel. This is an anti-Semitic trope. You're proving my point that Israel and supporters of Israel are very happy to engage in genuine anti-Semitism if they feel that anti-Semitic propaganda narratives can benefit Israel. This is a morally bankrupt, principle-free position to hold.

• Advertisement

I can't stress enough that the Grayzone and anybody affiliated with it are a propaganda front for Russia and Russia's geopolitical interests and a cancerous tumour on the arse of public discourse. Max Blumenthal literally travelled to Moscow in December 2015 to be Putin's dinner guest and started the Grayzone a month later. He immediately went from being anti-Assad to being pro-Assad and fully in line with all Putin's positions, where he has remained ever since. Why? Because there's $$$$$$ in doing this.

I don't have a view of the US as being a heroic actor in the world at all. Outside of their contribution in Europe in the two World Wars and afterwards which we should all be thankful for, their contribution in the world has been overwhelmingly disastrous, borne of arrogant ignorance and often evil. Their position in regard to this conflict is morally outrageous, I do not think it would be over the top to describe it as evil and I say that as somebody who fervently wanted Biden to win the 2020 election and still hopes he wins the 2024 election given that the alternative is somebody who has referred to themselves as a dictator and threatens to plunge both America itself and the world into total chaos.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The notion that Israel is not a settler-colonial state is as ludicrous as the notion that the US or Australia or Argentina are not settler-colonial states.

The absurd farce that is right wing "discourse" can be summed up by the fact that the far right in Europe absurdly fantasise about being genocided by peaceful migrants to their countries yet fervently support a settler-colonial state which was created by violence and is now committing genocide against the native population.

I have seen posters support the need for the IDF to be in Gaza but I haven't seen posters support all of their actions. That's not saying there haven't been, I may have missed them. There are certain posters that I tend to ignore, though I haven't any on my ignore list.

It's interesting that Biden has said that Netanyahu needs to change the composition of his coalition, in other words ditch the crazies. Though in my opinion he's one of the crazies.

"You're proving my point that Israel and supporters of Israel are very happy to engage in genuine anti-Semitism if they feel that anti-Semitic propaganda narratives can benefit Israel."

Surely you mean some supporters of Israel and some Israelis?

He wants to stay in power and therefore, crucially, out of prison.

Yes, that's what I meant. He was even prepared to upend the constitution in order to avoid going to prison. This is why I can't see him listening to Biden about removing his fellow crazies, he is beholden to them . I could possibly see a move being made against Bibi by others if America twists the arm of the Israeli Government, but Biden doesn't have the bottle to do so, especially given he trying to court the swing vote for the next election

Israel itself, right to the top, to Netanyahu, engages in anti-Semitic narratives it thinks will benefit them. These narratives are widely spread by Israel's online support.

It is a concerted strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Are they expecting dead Palestinians to rise up in some sort of Hamas zombie apocalypse?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There have been anti-semitic slurs and tropes bandied about against Israel and Jews in general over the thread.

That is "Genuine anti-semitism" - to your words.

Care to find the posts where you challenged these?

But the one that you use to make a stand against is conflating the interest of Jews and Israel as a state?

So without those posts...

"Principle free position"? That is your phrasing - and seems a perfect description of your post.

Your claims have no credibility.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Havent paid attention in a few weeks

Whats the latest ?

Advertisement