Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, but if they've left state accommodation and have to pay for their own, all of a sudden the €220 a week is far less attractive - you'd find it very tricky trying to rent a flat on that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

So nothing really changes after the 3 months are up? They are still entitled to ARP accommodation, and back to full social welfare. The only change is that the state won’t provide them with accommodation, but the state will still be paying for their accommodation, only difference is they’ll have to source it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Probably the only way they could get the Greens to agree to it.

Typical half arsed way of doing things but no surprise really with this Government who just don't have the will to tackle the numbers arriving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Deirdre Garvey (sec gen of the Irish red cross) was on the radio earlier grifting - She has been grifting her brains out and has been indulged by the media all year. When she was on with Pat Kenny a good few months back she started faffing about, evading/avoiding Pat's question when he asked - 'But why Ireland, we're on the edge of Europe...why here?' - A few weeks after RU invaded UKR I donated to the IRC, and following that interview with PK, I decided I'd never donate again to the IRC or any other of these grifters. Garvey, on the off-chance you're reading this, great job - way to go alienating the Irish public

Then to roll back to a few nights ago, there was a 'follow the money conversation' - @ShamNNspace played a blinder highlighting the connection between the chair of UNICEF Ire and Tetrarch (owners of hotels that are making a fortune hosting IPAs (Citywest)

There seems to be an approx 50% profit margin for the suppliers of IPA accommodation which would mean that Tetrarch's (Citywest hotel) margin of that reported €34m would be around the €17m mark profit

Here's a great idea Mr Connolly - Take that 17m profit from Tetrarch and flip it over to Unicef to help the children - That way, Unicef would not need to solicit donations from the public with their heartbreaking adverts (which no doubt are paid for from donated funds and are at 'top rate airtime', thus enriching RTE and other media outlets)

You're absolutely welcome for that idea, I'm always glad to help 

For those that may have missed the conversation, it kicks off on page 119 - kudos to @Geuze for breaking down the financials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 AnaB

Interesting to know what going to happen or not for those in private accommodation paid by government 800 monthly? So it's 800 recognition payment + 880 JA + Free medical card, at least per 1 person.

Could Irish taxpayer rely on the exact amount per month if found themselves jobless ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

It almost feels like purposeful discrimination against our own tax paying citizens.

If it wasn’t so tragically immoral it’d be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Excellent piece.

Also noticeable how far the tendrils of these guys stretch right across our society.

Paul Connolly was also on board of Independent News and Media, Esat Telecom and Digicel.

What is the connection there?

So no questions asked by main media organisation and nice little connection into the main party in government for last 10 years.

They always say follow the money.

And some well connected folks are doing damn well out of our asylum industry, all courtesy of the taxpayers.

I always regret that we didn't totally implode around the time of the troika so that we could go back to year 0.

Instead all that happened was the taxpayers of then, now and the future got lumped with the bill and the connected ones got to keep their snouts in or near enough to the trough.

But sooner or later The First Republic and all the fookers milking it are going to crumble.

BTW everytime I come on this site I am greeted to picture of some girl asking for donations to Unicef.

Who payed for that ad?

Unicef like most of the UN is a fooking money pit for connected ones and an ego project for some.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Are we ruining the long-term future of other countries.

When this war ends in Ukraine, the country will need to be rebuilt.

Are people living here getting triple the average salary in benefits going to go back to Ukraine.

Are the men fighting going to join their families here or stay in Ukraine.

I would imagine they will come here with PTSD into a country with a pretty much non existent mental health service.

When people say we need skilled construction workers, are we not making things worse in countries who need these workers.

When people say we need healthcare staff, are we not making things worse in countries who need those workers.

Do the people who advocate for bringing in these workers care that in doing so that we are making things worse in other countries.

Would it not make more sense to give aid to these countries to develop than to take their resources and make their countries worse?

Ah but what you have forgotten to tell the folks is that old Tifco who coincidentally have same directions and business listing address with companies office as Travelodge Ireland and Pumpkinspice was once owned by us the taxpayers.

Yep they were taken into NAMA as came under Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC) after the economic crash by way of debts due to Anglo Irish Bank.

Then NAMA sold them in 2014 to guess who.

Why yes Goldman Sachs.

Now you were wrong about them being owned by Goldman Sachs as they sold them onto a US private equity firm Apollo Global Management that is quoted on New York Stock Exchange.

No doubt at a handsome profit.

Ah but it's not all bad two Irishmen are at the helm of this little venture one Enda o'Meara and Brian Campion.

So just in case certain high ranking posters here claims that this is personal information.

All of this is public knowledge and these two gents are not shy about publicly acknowledging their connection to these enterprises.

Old Enda even boasts that he opened the Clontarf Castle Hotel in 1997 even though I believe it has been around a lot longer than that and was owned by the Tifco Group a lot longer as well.

And back in 2021 according to accounts for the hotel group it now involves holding companies and funds based in Dublin, Luxembourg, and the Cayman Islands, with an entity in Delaware in the US being the ultimate owner.

The filed accounts show substantial financial dealings involving more than €100 million between entities in Dublin and Luxembourg, one of which is owned in turn by funds in the Cayman Islands.

BTW this is from Irish Times of 2021.

You know back when they still actually had some that did a bit of journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

On booking.com, 8627 hotel rooms, apartments, villas, etc.. available in Ukraine for a random week in December.

I can't get over that we the tax payer are going to pay €2.5B in 2024 to house "Ukrainians".

Where does the government think this money comes from? We have the largest national debt in the EU, why are we doing this?????

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Our dear leaders are doing this to Virtue Signal how agreeable and accommodating we are. Who are they virtue signaling to? My guess is the EU, NGO's and the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

Wait until you learn how they plan to send hundreds of millions and billions to nonEU bascketcase countries because of climate change guilt or something

At least Ukranians are protecting our asses from absolute evil for the money we spend on them (since we spend next to nothing on defence, see parallel thread about Russian sub) I am not sure why sending billions more in aid to basketcase countries in Africa and Asia who sneer at us because climate change guilt is gonna help us

Remember how some of us used to reference old Mr Goldman Sachs, Fine Gael attorney general and EU commissioner, UN Special Representative for International Migration from 2006 to 2017, the one and only Peter Sutherland, and his little freudian slip "the European Union, in my view, should be doing its best to undermine 'any' sense of our homogeneity and difference from others".

Well welcome to the EU's testing ground.

It was probably harder to really push it in some other countries as already diverse and hell some of them had stronger common sense parties i.e. right wingers. They did try it elsewhere, but the population got a lot more uppidty.

But little old very homogeneous Ireland with no dissenting political voices, a pliant controlled media, a sheepish population that had already bent over to get royally ridden to pay off the gambling debts of the connected ones was ideal for this experiment.

Hell maybe it was in the small print for our bailout?

Yeah yeah it is all in the realms of conspiracy.

But ask yourself why is this madness happening.

Who benefits?

It certainly aint the indigenous Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well, welcome to the real world then. We have adult children back living at home, Irish citizens (& voters) but can't afford rentals in Dublin etc. And part of the reason the accommodation we could easily find at their age is dried up, is the large influx of people into our state. Whether on work permits, refugees or 'asylum' seekers.

Who exactly does this state have a duty of care to?? It's own citizens should surely come first.

I'll probably be labelled a far right campaigner for daring to suggest that, but the ducks are going to come home to roost next election.

The problem is we have no one to vote for bar some independents.

We are crying out for a new conservative nationalist leaning political party in this country and not ones dominated by clowns who only care who you have sex with.

Of course to some clowns here and in the media that would be labelled as having a nazi party.

I suspect the vote will go to anyone but the present incumbents. SF would want to wake up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

when you think about there isn’t much difference between FG and PBP, sure RBB and co mouth on about about ‘the workers’ and other right on ‘causes’ but really there’s very little difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I have no issue with people coming to this country who will add value and intend to work and pay their taxes - those who will accept our way of life and integrate. Hell, I would far prefer them to some of the scrotes that were born here.

I don't have an issue with accepting refugees as long as we do it in a measured manner that aligns with the infrastructure and our capabilities. Where I have a major issue is with immigrants turning up without a passport or any form of identity. I also have an issue with refugees coming here via another country as if we are some kind of hot destination.

We were not an imperialist empire that invaded and annexed other countries so we don't have that self-inflicted cross to bear. I personally think we should do our part because as a nation, we have emigrated all over the world so it's a bit hypocritical to complain about immigrants coming here. However, we shouldn't make it attractive and offer more than most other places. It shouldn't be open season and we should have very strict control measures. If you turn up in Australia, USA, and so forth with no passport or ID... bye-bye. If you have a criminal record... bye-bye. If you don't have the means to support yourself and are not a refugee... bye-bye. If you are a refugee you need to prove it, not just turn up and claim that you are.

All of the above is implementable... whether the government does it or not is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

The UN is a money pit for the connected, and all tax free on top - didn't Eoghan Murphy (former Housing Minister) only ever work for them in Switzerland and then headed off to another NGO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Former stockbroker Joan Garahy and former director of Kerry Group and Head of their remuneration committee is on the board of Unicef Ireland? Tear it down please - add a sprinkling of gaa and rugby legends to look cool with the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Correct.

We restict how many doctors we train ourselves, and so the CAO points are really high.

Then we import doctors from developing countries.

Is it fair that we pull / poach doctors from developing countries?

We send them cash foreign aid, then we take their doctors?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

I concur. While I don't think it's one particular sinister faction driving this, rather it's a sort of loosely aligned cartel of powerful interests. If you ven diagram it out, there is a clear overlap where supplanting national interests with supra-national ones, is the primary driver.

The EU sees individual national interests as a threat to the bloc.

Large multinational companies don't want the burden of navigating separate and distinct national bureaucracies, regulations and tax.

The new WHO treaty is the same.

The Green Agenda is the same.

NATO and the MIC is the same, tie everyone into their bureaucracy so we can all jump to the US's hegemonic interests without protest.

Now there's a "Censorship Industrial Complex" that's really just finding it's feet and Ireland will play a major role as we are gatekeepers for data protection and social media for the EU.

Ye it does look to be like countries stripping poor nations of diamonds etc but now with people.

Like legalised human trafficking where big corporations get to drive down wages to increase profits and the plebs go to work to pay for it through taxes and watch access to critical services get worse week on week.

The NGOS get to cream in the money aswell by keeping the charade going, with no doubt using social media to spread lies and misinformation, do people think with them making so much money that they don't employ a few useless idiots to spend their day posting on social media, obviously I don't mean on boards as I wouldn't want to be accusing anyone here of such a thing.

You would think if we actually wanted to help these countries then we would invest financially in them and help improve education around contraception etc instead of poaching healthcare staff.

I mean that would seem like a more sensible way to improve the lives of the countries than bringing people here to throw into tents and leave them to fend for themselves and move onto the next batch of imports.

That can't be right as iv seen posts on here saying nowhere in Ukraine is safe so we can't provide aid to relocate them in Ukraine and they need to stay here.

Maybe the far right have bought out booking.com to spread this lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I honestly don't think so. Unless they can get cash in hand jobs.

They can get free accommodation under ARP and get a job. Why bother staying on the low social welfare rate when you are getting free accommodation.

Agree largely but it should be noted whilst we didn't control an imperialist empire we did participate in one - plenty Irish got jobs in the British colonies in admin roles. We also set about converting the heathens in Nigeria and making them good Catholics with names like Assumpta & Kevin etc.

But that was then and this is now. We should do our bit but not an inch more. And to hell with those making careers and getting wealth on the back of recent surge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Current population of Ukraine is estimated at 37 million. I don't think 8k hotel rooms is that significant - to the best of my knowledge, at least some hotels and guest houses usually remain open even in wartime (Dublin alone by contrast has over 20,000 available rooms).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

The argument that really boils my piss is that we’d have no health system or big IT companies running without immigrants , that our country would somehow shut down .

Nobody , absolutely nobody , even the tiny tiny minority of actual far right campaigners in this country are complaining about the brilliant doctors , nurses etc that are doing amazing work here and adding hugely to the country .

The next absolute liar in the media that throws out that type of line to try to conflate the 2 issues should be called out straight away and told to shut up with that bullshit.

The problem is the wasters , economic migrants , criminals who rip up their passports and the nation hoppers who are here to bleed us dry .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Indians did far more of that than Irish did. When the British got tired of doing the actual colonising themselves they sent huge numbers of Indian settlers to places like Fiji and Trinidad and Tobago to act as the occupying administrative class in those countries.

Indians were even ethnically cleansed from Fiji and Uganda by post-colonial regimes in the 20th century.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement