Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Few things are more pointless than the Commonwealth.

Plus, I struggle to believe that Ireland rejoining the Commonwealth would be the key decision to unlocking progress to a successful united Ireland.

But, if we're playing hypotheticals, if rejoining the Commonwealth were the key decision that would unlock progress to a successful united Ireland, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

A bit of pointlessness as the price of a successful united Ireland? That's a no-brainer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, whether a referendum was required or not is not the point. I was pointing out my opinion that if such a referendum was held, it would fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Governments implement lots of things that would likely fail in referendums. Tax hikes for one...

It's difficult to know absent the scenario anyway. As Peregrinus says, if I was asked tomorrow I'd say no. If it was a key part of a UI deal, then sure whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Except the Queen was not a political party and potential ally.

The poster described the DUP as this:

The DUP in Ulster to me look like the worst of the ERG distilled down and with a light seasoning of Irishness.

If you are feteing them and applauding them at your party congress, well you clearly don't have issue with them being the 'worst of the ERG'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would have no interest in joining the group of countries that England pillaged, in a formal link to England. Never saw the point of the Commonwealth, but if it was a trading point in getting Goven't working in NI, I would have no problem. Maybe it would be like when Dev struggled with his inner conscious and decided that taking the Oath meant nothing.

The route the Commonwealth intends to take would have to be very clear. B. Johnson talked about it as a trading alliance to compete with the EU which would make membership for us untenable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Boris Johnson said a lot of things and many of them bore little relationship with reality.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Well he certainly did and so did many of the last few PM's.

Perficious Albion alert when having any dealings with them going forward and we would need the intentions for the Commonwealth to be very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh I'm no fan of Ireland even considering joining the Commonwealth - the talk of it being a useful trade block to justify both its existence and Brexit is bunkum. We all know what it really is and why it exists.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

I know what it is, and I also know what a meddlesome UK, intent on a divide and conquer strategy could do with an entity like the CW. It doesn't have to be a useful trade bloc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The question is what we need to do to recognise and embrace the British nationality sharing this island.

After all, the Constitution requires us "to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland, in all the diversity of their identities and traditions". The British have shared this island with us for centuries and a recognition of that is important.

'shared'

Highly debatable to this very day.

The British when they ruled here certainly didn't share and rather shared our resources among themselves, as they did with every colony they had.

Those who identify as British to this day have extreme and notable difficulty 'sharing' on an equal footing.

Those many many British people not born here and who have come to live here have no issues sharing with us and vice versa.

They live quite happily under our existing constitution.

I absolutely believe that concessions will have to be made, but they will be made not on the basis of appeasement or on a false narrative that we are returning some equality and fairness.

It will be a gesture that will have little precedent in the history of our relationship with British/Unionist rule.

What on Earth do you think they could do? It is the epitome of an irrelevant organisation. It is meaningless and powerless.

I don't trust the UK either, the last 7 years has put paid to any notion of that for some time. But suggesting they could use the CW as some divide and conquer strategy (to accomplish what exactly!? Divide who?) is a bit paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭blackwhite

At the time BJ was suggesting the CW become a rival trade bloc there was divided opinion on whether it could work or not. It would be the trying that would cause our membership of the EU harm in my opinion.

Not something we want to leave ourselves open to.

What divided opinion? I didn't see a single reputable figure who thought it was remotely plausible.

Nonetheless, we simply wouldn't join an alternative trade block, nor would we legally be able to anyway. I don't for a second think we'll ever join, but the CW has no legal framework like the EU to make its member states do anything whatsoever.

Indeed what?

FG were not cosying up uncritically to the DUP?

I don’t think that photo counters that claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

They invited the leader of a party who represents a large minority in NI and were respectful and open to his opinions.

Not everything boils down to a tiresome narrative about usuns vs themuns.

I hope you aren’t representative of wider SF thought.

Poster described them him/herself:

The DUP in Ulster to me look like the worst of the ERG distilled down and with a light seasoning of Irishness

Would any Irish party be applauding the speech of the ‘worst of the ERG’?

I know the DUP/UUP would gravitate towards FG in a UI scenario and that doesn’t concern me and I personally don’t care who FG invite to speak to them, just curious to see if the poster did.

• Advertisement

There was plenty of comment and without getting into tiresome comment on who is credible it is something we would need to be careful about.

Pre 2016 I didn’t know all the ways The UK could mess with our membership of the EU and that should be warning enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Thousands queuing for Christmas food hampers and a shoplifting pandemic leading the news today.

This government is spent.

If you are feteing them and applauding them at your party congress, well you clearly don't have issue with them being the 'worst of the ERG'

Much like, if you are feteing Gemma O'Doherty and appluading her at your party's summer think in, well you clearly don't have an issue with her being.......... everything that Gemma O'Doherty is

It's trying to highlight the fallacy of your claim that listening to someone respectfully is in some way to be interpreted as an endorsement of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Quite clearly, if you are feteing Gemma O'Doherty and applauding her at your party's summer think in, your party is clearly engaged in a lurch towards the right.

It was 2014 that she appeared.

And equally well, her appearing doesn't necessarily mean that party share her views or that they "don't have a problem" with her views. It just means they were willing to give her an listen. No different to FG being willing to listen to Donaldson.

Francie seems to have a problem with parties listening to differing voices (unless of course it's SF listening to to the voices of various loony factions, then it's all rosy)

Pointing at themuns when faced with a question is not really a great look.

The poster said this:

The DUP in Ulster to me look like the worst of the ERG distilled down and with a light seasoning of Irishness

If that is the case then do they have an issue with 'the worst of the ERG' being feted and applauded by Fine Gael.

'But SF' is not the answer to that.

No, it isn't something we would need to be careful about.

The CW is devoid of any legal framework to be what Johnson was aiming for. It is about as relevant as claims that the OECD is going to become a trading bloc. Being a member of the CW would be utterly meaningless in any legal framework and would not in any way, shape or form put entitlements on us. It can not be turned into a trading bloc or drag us into any international or national obligations. It is just fear mongering (and incorrect!) to suggest otherwise. It is just literally not what the Commonwealth is.

The UK rather notably has not messed with our membership of the EU. It is as strong as ever, if not stronger and the full weight of the EU has been brought to bear on the UK to ensure that remains the case.

The CW is the above if it stays that way. But like other entities it can also change direction and purpose.

And the British definitely did mess with our membership and attempted to push us to their aid and support, not to mention the shennanigans over NI and the border. That we were able to resist that is not the point.

It is nuisance we don't need.

Listening and giving a polite clap afterwards is very different to being "feted and applauded" - but I know that you'd never let that stop you.

Everyone knows just how different a spin you'd put on your own party when the roles are reversed

• Advertisement

I didn't mention any other party. I specifically mentioned one party...but all you have is 'something something SF'.

If somebody believes a party are 'the worst of the ERG', how do they feel about FG 'politely clapping them' and inviting them to their party conference as speakers?

'But lookat SF' is not the answer to that.

Advertisement