Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭pgj2015

from what I have seen, most sell to strangers. you could sell to someone you are friendly with and then you might fall out, that could be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Oh god. How do you sleep at night knowing the loss you are causing to your own company. You must be guilt ridden. And then the battle you are leading for Sky. A knighthood is on the cards.

grow up.

im going to report a few I know of for the craic. good day. x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

At this stage Sky TV has got so expensive and out of the reach of many that it's become a hobby for people in trying to buck them. Sky has become a luxury for a lot of people and has extortionate prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well it's not going to change anytime soon.

The 2024 to 2029 deal was struck last week.

The EPL made a number of crucial changes this time around.

They upped the number of games from 200 to 270 per year.

But they also reduced the number of packages available to 5 and they extended the length from 3 to 4 years.

And it ended up with Sky buying 4 and TNT (BT Sport) buying 1.

The headline is that the broadcasters paid more than ever before, but with more games and the longer term the broadcasters end up paying less per game.

The EPL structured the auction in such a way that only the established broadcasters could really win, and no package would be hard to sell, plus the extended duration gives them a bit of breathing room to consider the future about perhaps going it alone, the Saturday 3pm etc.

There was no small package like the one Amazon won last time.

Overall now 70% of EPL games will be on TV, back in 2013 there were only 36% of games.

So for the fan they are getting far more games than they ever got and have one supplier less to pay.

And all Sunday games will be broadcast.

i don't think illegal streaming was as much of a problem for the broadcasters as some would like to think.

The broadcasters didn't tell the EPL that they would be drastically reducing their bids because of the spectre of illegal streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

I have both Sky, and the other means.

But having an arguement to say that "I left Sky for IPTV because IPTV was so much cheaper than Sky".

Am, the latter involves geeks stealing streams in warehouses on servers in Africa and the middle east. The former are buying the rights, producing, broadcasting, marketing etc etc and employing thousands of people and paying tax on same.

I really don't think you can compare one to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Never quite understood why Sky/TNT were stopped from showing every game live that your team plays in the PL.

Truth is there’s lots of subscribers to a server because they can’t do that via 28e legally.

On top of this we here in Ireland are treated like we’re apart of the UK and the same amount of games are legally allowed here as the UK bar the 1-3pm of a Saturday.

They’ve set themselves up for this with their draconian laws. Look at Germany ffs, all games Live on TV yet crowds flock to the Bundesliga.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

You can get into a Bundesliga match for 20 quid too, haven’t been to a PL match in years but I’m sure for the likes of Liverpool, Man United etc it’s up around 100 quid. We’re really ripped off in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I have my IPTV but decided to splash out and got the 4k sky stream delivered today. My God it is absolutely horrendous! Pure scutter and my IPTV app is far more professional and easy to use. Sky want €70 a month for this. Luckily I have 14 days to return it with no charge

Ah no keep it. Think about the lads cleaning the jacks in anfield. They'll lose their jobs. LOL.

Never quite understood why Sky/TNT were stopped from showing every game live that your team plays in the PL.

Well it's simple really.

The media rights in the EPL are collective, everyone gets a cut of them.

If you showed every game live then the big teams would obviously get bigger viewing figures and thus would demand a bigger portion of the media rights pie, crying foul that the smaller teams are stopping them for reaching their potential revenues.

Just like the original EPL 22 did in 1992 when they broke away from the other 70.

And it's things like that that are the drivers behind European Super league talk, the bigger clubs wanting to ditch the smaller ones for a bigger pay day

But with the new deal that is coming in next year 70% of games will be shown, that leaves only 110 out of 380 games not shown live, and you can bet the majority of them will be the games involving the smaller clubs, the games relatively few people would be interested in watching anyway.

So the fans of the big teams will get to see a huge percentage of their teams games from 2024 onwards.

What happens in the deal after that will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Very well written and some great points.

My issue is that the 2:45 - 5:15 (pm) watershed which I imagine was introduced well before the PL’s inception in ‘92 was brought in and kept this long wrongly, as the likes of Germany for example don’t have a blackout which doesn’t effect crowds within the stadium on match day.

UK say it would effect the smaller clubs and other leagues underneath.

Does it though? Nope imho - IPTV servers have proven that and the introduction over the next rights given to Sky & TNT with the full Sunday games Live on Sky is not enough to stop IPTV keeping people subbing to them for those Saturday 3pms and it being much cheaper of course.

It ain’t all about the full channel list of mostly useless drivel and xxx. For the football fan he/she have both due to those restrictions applied to the UK and less so Ireland.

It’ll be the last time 3pms are blocked on these shores in full imo.

Just my 2 cents opinion.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

With the new deal the EPL have basically reduced the 3pm kick off to 110 games, or 30% of the games in a season.

It averages out at 3 per "game week".

They have got around their own blackout problem by making the time slot almost irrelevant.

The 3pm kick off was devised at a time when industrial workers got paid and got a half day on a Saturday.

It's relevance in a 21st century global world has long since disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The problem is we are actually treated differently to the UK by sky.

In the UK, you can buy individual sports packages, over here it's all or nothing.

It's the same with sky owned now TV. In the UK they have the red button option, over here, we don't.

Is now TV still only 720p over here? I know it was when I was using it. Poor interface and the picture quality wasn't great.

The major problem the broadcasters have, and are unwilling to deviate from, is selling packages that people just aren't interested in. They need to rethink and reinvent how people consume sports and start selling them at affordable prices and ensure that the packages are customisable. Someone should absolutely be able to buy all the Liverpool games, or Man Utd games for example without have to purchase the US Masters or Darts along with it.

That's what customers want. Sky have shown they cannot eliminate IPTV. They need to think outside the box.

I don't think SKY will though and I think they are only playing lip service to tackling IPTV. It's not costing them anything really. Probably cost them more to introduce tech to deal with it.

Screw Sky.

• Advertisement

That's what customers want. Sky have shown they cannot eliminate IPTV. They need to think outside the box.

I don't think SKY will though and I think they are only playing lip service to tackling IPTV.

Well maybe illegal IPTV is not as popular and some people think or like to think.

There was no rights auction meltdown that some, including myself, thought may happen if the broadcasters decided that they were losing to much to illegal streaming and came in with low ball offers to the EPL.

Now admittedly the EPL did restructure the rights packages so as to some degree mitigate against illegal IPTV, the extra 70 games and every Sunday game being broadcast being the standout part of that.

But at the end of the day the broadcasters paid a record total fee for rights (even though the per game rate was reduced)

I've been using Now TV for about 4 years, getting a sub every few months depending on what games or events I might wish to watch combined with what discounts as available on the Bargain Alerts board here.

As for it being 720p, I personally don't really mind, I can tell it's always better than old SD TV and that's plenty for me.

That's one thing we agree on. IPTV isn't the issue for Sky, TNT and the Premier League that some including Sky would say. Even their 180k estimate is pittance really.

I wouldn't look down my nose on people with low incomes using IPTV as a means to watch live football or live sport. They should be catered for too and they really are not currently. Football has been going down the path of becoming a wealth only sport for a while now and I think that's only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

Maybe the majority of IPTV users are low income. Plenty I know are not.

They just wont fork out ridiculous amounts for all inclusive packages (like you say above) when all they want is 1 or 2 matches per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The one thing I miss on overseas streams is the pain, hurt and anger in the voice’s of both Gary Neville and Martin Tyler as Liverpool dish out yet another massive hammering to Manchester United.

Doesn't matter. Users of IPTV have zero chance being caught or ending up before the courts. The legalities don't come into it when they are unenforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭techdiver

This is a huge one for me. I have zero interest in soccer and only buy the sports packages for access to Rugby, Golf and NFL. Now based on my interests I have the worst of both worlds as TNT have the European rugby rights and sky have the golf and nfl rights. This means for me to watch just 3 sports (2 of them quite seasonal) I have to purchase both full packages and lets be honest 90% of the subscription is going towards the premier league. If I could just buy a golf, rugby and nfl pass I would but Sky won't do that, so they deserve everything the get in my opinion.

When DAZN took over NFL Gamepass this year they were charging something like €150 for a yearly sub. No discount for just RedZone, or just highlights or anything.

Now that got you loads of stuff all the way up to next August, but for someone like myself the NFL season is only just over 5 months long and I only care about the games or RedZone, so €150 for that was way too much for me to be paying.

If golf or rugby were offering similar streaming packages they would possibly be in the same price bracket, seeing as both are considered sports that have affluent fans.

On the other hand you could just pop over the the Bargain Alerts form here and get a code to get Sky Sport and TNT for E15 and E11.99 respectively for 3 months on Now TV, that's E27 a month for all your NFL, golf and rugby.

And when your three months are up there will probably be another equal or better discount out there.

People need to realize that you don't have to pay Sky or TNT full whack per month and commit to a long subscription anymore, there are "legal" alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

I think a big tipping point here for the older generation last year was the GAA GO fiasco. I know a number of men aged 70+ that got IPTV after that, that never would have bothered with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭AyeGer

…….

Advertisement