Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Stream has arrived in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I've used my Netflix Turkish account on Sky Q without an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Just realised there is no itv, looks like I'll be packing it back up and returning it ☹️

First impressions are terrible to be honest. Have it connected via ethernet and it's now telling me I have no wifi connection and has just gone blank and is unresponsive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You have to realise with Stream you are essentially buying a cable tv package, it’s a closed system and you can’t manually tune anything. It has more in common with VM or Vodafone than it does with Sky satellite in that regard.

No Irish pay TV provider has ITV1 & 2, VM has 3&4 alright, but with blackouts for some sport. Satellite is your only option if ITV is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Press and hold the reset button on the bottom of the box to reset it.

• Advertisement

Tried it again tonight to see if there was any improvement, clicked on a movie and got this! It's a ball of shite 😁

It's sky broadband and connected via ethernet but the box keeps telling me I've no wifi connection

Haven't tried it with a wired connection here, but it works well over wifi for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

Contract finishingnnext month. Is this available to existing customers? Would like to try for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭KildareP

This was an issue I had originally, albeit trying to redeem Discovery+. The Stream box shipped with an ancient version of firmware (QS009).

The below seems a bit finicky but it does work to get the firmware to update (QS023) and working pretty smoothly since.

To run a software update:

Switch the Sky Glass or Sky Stream puck to standby.

Switch it off at the mains and unplug it.

Plug it back in and switch it back on at the mains.

Leave the Sky Glass or Sky Stream puck powered on for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, switch the Sky Glass or Sky Stream puck to standby again.

Switch it off at the plug and switch it back on again. There’s no need to unplug it this time.

Press the Home button on the Sky remote.

After a few seconds, the Sky logo will show on screen as the TV or Sky Stream puck starts back up. The software version will now be updated to the latest version.

Post edited by KildareP on

I see that Sky have updated their help texts to say; "If you have linked the wrong Netflix account to your Streaming TV (Sky Glass or Sky Stream) account, you'll need to contact Netflix directly to update it."

This suggests that I'm not the only one with this problem. It doesn't seem to make ANY sense to be referring the problem onto Netflix - How could Netflix be expected to control the account on a Sky box? Really looks like they're pushing this off onto someone else....

And now the phone number for Sky seems to be completely unavailable - tried calling it from two different networks, and getting 'number unavailable' on both. WTF like...

If you'd still rather get in touch, contact us on 03337591556. Please be aware we receive a lot of calls every day, so call wait times will vary during busy periods and opening times will vary by department.

Yeah that number is a joke, this is the one I used 0818719819

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭fman

I think the 0333.. number is their UK number. They still haven't perfected targeting for Ireland.

The 0333 number worked for me a couple of weeks ago, calling them from Ireland.

Thanks for sharing the other number.

Post edited by icdg on

Mod: just to note, Mods have no jurisdiction over user names, if someone thinks a user name is inappropriate that needs to be taken up with the Admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Playlist has disappeared

tried turning on and off at the mains

nothing happening

any other solutions?

That playlist setup is a bit of a mess. Unnecessary complication of something that should be so simple to sort out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

Have added 3 programmes to the playlist over the last couple of days.

1 BBC, 1 TG4 and 1 Virgin.

None of them are there.

Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Anyone else having issues with Sky Stream at the moment? Internet is working fine but box keeps dropping out (ethernet connection)

I cancelled mine after 5 days, have sky q being installed next week. We had the puck connected via ethernet but the box kept saying it had no wifi connection

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PSOC_2020

They have a marketing company that dont give up ringing you until they have you roped in. My biggest issue with them is that they promised me that I could record all home stations, including BBC etc. I asked if they have ITV and he said yes, UTV... In the end, pure dishonest. Fact is they try and connect your playlist to all the TV players. The only one that somewhat works is RTEPlayer (although News doesn't link for some reason). Sky News works. You can add a BBC program but then when you try and play, nothing happens because you cant link to BBC IPlayer in Ireland. If you pause Live TV, the pause only lasts about 5 mins before it restarts again. Only real benefit I got is Netflix which I never had before. This works well but only on one device.

My experience is different. I tested the live pause yesterday, and it lasted longer than five minutes, on C4. What channel did you find the five minute limitation on.

I've also added C4 and Sky shows to my playlist, and both work flawlessly. The only one I had difficulty with was one particular BBC show. I was able to add it to the playlist, but I couldn't play it back on demand, or use the 'watch from start' facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Seems people are not loving this device, especially if you depend on the ability to record reliably. That would not bother me too much as I rarely record, but some friends & family do, and it absolutely would not work well for them.

It's a shame they don't allow BYOD (bring your own device). I use Apple TV devices around the home, and from what I understand the Sky Stream device is somewhat sluggish and underpowered in comparison.

Most pay tv providers will not allow that. I am a fan of the Apple TV too, but I have seen enough comments on eir TV on these forums to know that love isn’t universally shared - a lot of hate for the Apple Remote in particular (which I personally love) which is why eir now ship their Apple TV’s with a more traditional remote.

But an Apple TV based solution would not solve the recording issue, as it doesn’t have a HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

I keep adding match of the day to my play list but it's never there when I go in . Yet match of the day 2 episode is always there each week . wtf . Still having to use dodgy box to watch back sat nite motd

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭fman

Match of the day is a strange one. I checked and it is downloadable from catch-up on Sky Q so that shouldn't be any weird rights issue.

One of those oddities that sky takes an age to resolve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭radius345

Match of the Day not being available on catch up is really annoying as it was available up until about two weeks ago.

It was great to be able to watch it at a time that suited if you missed the live broadcast.

Hopefully this is an issue that can be resolved soon.

On the whole, we are in our second month of using Sky Stream and can honestly say we are finding it to be a really good service overall. We had a FTA box and it was fine but you really do notice how much better the entire UI and experience is with Sky.

Advertisement