Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2022 Assistant Principal Competition - Open and Interdepartmental

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Melloh

I'd say most depts are hiring. Usually depts owe vacancies to PAS as they do so much internal promotion.

They're flying through this panel on the interD side anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Galhess

Anyone know how long after presentation and interview the results are issued? I just completed stage 3 today wondering will I hear before christmas 🎄

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tmea

I had my interview on 07.11.23 and heard back in 23.11.23. I think I remember reading they get back to people in the batch a week after the end of the batch and usually in a Thursday or something like that so hopefully you’ll hear by 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Swilly22

I'm up in the next few days and am wondering the same thing. I would love to know before Christmas. How did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭res1

Was 2 weeks for me. Fingers crossed for yous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Galhess

I found it to be a good experience. There's alot to get through with the report prep before hand, the presentation and then the competencies in the interview. Have to say the board were very nice which helped massively with nerves. Hopefully we hear before christmas just so we know the position going into the new year. Best of luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Whoa, so the AP competition is for all the state agencies as well? I guess that makes sense, just never thought of it. I Googled and there are a lot of them! So, you could work for The Heritage Council or the Water Safety? I had always just thought of the different Departments.

Took just under 1 month between interview and placement on inter. Very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭countyireland12345

Yes that’s correct. Maybe not all, IDA, etc. definitely do their own. I personally think they should recruit themselves, they do anyway, so I don’t know why they dip into these panels too. Their vacancies are very specific. I had to turn an AP offer down recently as it was with an agency and would have brought me in the wrong direction career-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 amilovarb33

Wow that’s incredible. Any word on how open is moving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭countyireland12345

Do the agencies draw from the Interdepartmental panel too? If not, InterD panel sounds like a better place to be!

Apologies I have no idea. However every person that is on both panels and that is happy to go ahead and gets placed on the inter removes a person from open so wherever you are in the queue on open should be shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Milliethemoo

Hey, I’ve been with the same dept in the civil service for the past 5 years and previously I was in the private sector - will they look for reference from my private sector job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Kirbi

It's only civil service organisations - both the government departments and all other CS Orgs. They can all pull from both lists (open and interdepartmental).

I think there's almost 30 organisations in the civil service, but a lot are smaller bodies that aren't likely to be pulling in huge numbers.

The biggest (non-department) ones are Revenue and the Courts Service - they're actually bigger than most departments (I think only DSP and Agriculture might be bigger).

Garda Civilians are a fairly large cohort as well, but are due to move to public service and how they pull from some CS competitions seems to have changed in the lead-up.

I cant explain how relieved I am now that Stage 3 is over. It was tough, a hell of a lot of prep work but the board were very nice and I definitely worried too much. Best of luck to all those now awaiting results. We should set up a support group!

@Swilly22 Does the support group involve alcohol?? 😭😂

Well done. Hopefully you will have good news for Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BRG298

Is there somewhere I could see what departments and public bodies are based in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kangoblammer

Can I ask a question for future competitions as I was not successful this time around.

I am in the Civil Service for the past 2 years and prior to this held mgt positions in the private sector.

Do the interviewers expect me to draw my competency examples from my time in the civil service or is it perfectly acceptable to use examples from my private sector work experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Gargoyle711

Hi Tmea, you and I are close in the process, don't know about you but I'm driven mad with suspense as to when we might here - have you had any updates since?

I was an external candidate for this competition from another public sector organisation, so had to use evidence from there this time round. I would say the principle of using your private sector examples is fine, but as time goes on it might be worth being mindful of how current the evidence is. My current organisation would expect interview evidence no older than 2-3 years max.

Post edited by amilovarb33 on

Its perfectly acceptable to give examples from private sector. Also worth remembering not everyone in civil service/private sector manage actual staff. Demonstrating mgt experience can be about a far wider thing and it could be simply demonstrating how you manage your own work/customers alongside other stuff. I have mentioned Brian McIvor on here before in case u did not see that. Worth checking him out he's online/Youtube. Also has a free book called Be Interview-Wise tailored specifically for competency based interviews and well worth looking at. Some great pointers I felt. Best of luck...keep trying you will get there ...

To all the admins etc on this site Boards.ie also well done to you all excellent resource for all of us navigating these processes and all the other stuff on Boards. Thanks so much and Happy Christmas to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭757TFFIU

Have a look at the Civil Service Mobility Map - there's a link to it off this page: https://nsso.gov.ie/en/services/civil-service-mobility/

It seems to be acting up at the moment, but when it's back up and running you should be able to see the various Government Departments that have offices in Co. Cork and where their offices are located. It shows all parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tmea

I haven’t heard anything yet. I’m thinking early Feb based on nothing more than a hunch. I’ll let you know if I hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 littleb

Can I ask what range of OOM are they calling forward for interview at the moment. I passed both interd and open but am way down to OOM. Just trying to gauge if I will be called at all, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gargoyle711

Ok, thanks. I was optimistically thinking January, based on hope more than anything! We’ll see, 🤞

I was 570 OOM InterD & was called to Stage 3 in early Nov. Calling to Stage 3 probably more to do with your new score at Stage 2 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 DonutLike

It depends on your location choice also. I’m 296 on interdepartmental but no vacancies in my county of choice as of yet.

Advertisement