Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mk7r

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

White waiting for BMW to respond to my booking request for the latest EGR replacement recall, got another recall letter to replace the driver side airbag on my 2014 530d. Wonder if other 5-series owners have received same?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BMW520DMsport

I have 3 Error Codes up

Any help on how to solve this problem ?

BMW 520D MSport , Recall due on EGR

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nizzybm

Hi I am having the EGR error codes too. But mine are P2002. It’s due DDE recall soon. Did you find out your issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Got a letter this morning from BMW saying they’re recalling my car (181 520D) for an EGR cooler check. That’s the second one in 2 years.

In a horrible twist of fate my car is in an Indy garage right now to fix the errors they outlined in the letter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I got that letter this morning also...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

@Seth Brundle May have misunderstood but I thought that the recall was to replace the EGR cooler (and airbag) but the letter states that BMW is planning to replace the EGR again in future and is offering free EGR cooler checks before this is done? Seems good that the 15 year warranty is also for any subsequent damage a faulty EGR can cause.

Looks like my EGR wasn't previously replaced but I simply got a software update.

15 year warranty is welcome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can look up your VIN here and it will tell you if there is a recall:

https://www.bmw.ie/en/topics/owners/bmw-recall.html

Same as you. Nice that there’s a warranty on the EGR failing and taking the engine with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭yammagamma

Hi

I left in my 2015 F11 for the EGR DDE software upgrade other day and collected car that evening and after driving 30km about in 2 small journeys after collecting car drivetrain warning message started to flash up on display,and then disappeared a minute or so later, i rang bmw garage next morning and was advised to ignore it as it disappeared,but come in and we willl scan it but there be a charge if not EGR related.. it came back up 5 more times that day so i had a friend scan the car for fault codes that evening and DDE 284E00 Oxygen sensor after Catalytic converter,nernst voltage,signal: open circuit and EGS CF1531 NO message, receiver EGS pt-can2 transmitter DME/DDE.

so i went back into bmw garage and told them the faults and they said they would scan it but if not related to the EGR DDE software upgrade it will cost me 95 euro for scan

so they scanned it and said its faulty Oxygen sensor that would be 417 euro.

they refused to say its anything to do with upgrade work and i had to pay the 95 euro for scan and left with car.

what are the chances the Oxygen sensor goes bad within 30km of collecting car after DDE software upgrade ????

both faults show within 8km of each other and are new faults after upgrade.

or has the DDE software upgrade different parameters for the oxygen sensor ? and so needs a new 1 and so should be changed as part of recall ?

i havent checked wiring/connectors yet of oxygen sensor as fault shows as open circuit and thought i let bmw garage do it

but now 30km driving after EGR software upgrade and faulty Oxygen sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

I had my egr cooler on my f30 320d replaced november 2022. Hadnt noticed any difference in the car until recently. The car sometimes judders/hesitates for a split second whilst accelerating between 1500/2000 rpm.

Just last week i got a warning also for low coolant. I checked and sure enough it was below the min. Ive had to top up a few times since. There are no visible leaks so it must be internal. Im thinking its the cooler. The question is though is the egr cooler fitted under the recall covered by any warranty? And is it possible for it to fail in less than 12 months?

Did you actually get the EGR replaced or was it just the software update that mine got last year (see the letter I received in this post)?

If yours was replaced, did the invite letter mention warranty as per the letter I received a few weeks ago (see further up this page)?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

The cooler was replaced this time, it had been in for the recall previously and was just checked but this time the car got a new cooler.

I dont recall seeing any mention of any warranty with the part that is mentioned in your letter. Ive called the dealer who done the work and they've told me to take it in. But will I possibly be charged a fee for diagnostics if it doesnt turn out to be the cooler at fault?

Have you access to a code reader to see what faults (if any) are currently stored on the car?

Just a heads up on the recall, got the low coolant warning and drivetrain error show up on my car. Rang Joe Duffy and they told me i need to ring BMW Assistance, rang them and they arranged to get my car picked up and brought to my nearest dealer. Seems that once you get that IDrive alert its pretty bad.

Guy from BMW garage rang me, said its gonna be a few days. Are they under any obligation to give me a courtesy car?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be expecting a replacement car if it's going to be a few days and your without a car through no fault of your own. BMW were supplying some rental cars for earlier EGR recalls so it's not like the dealer is providing their own courtesy car where they can tell you they don't have one available. You might have to arrange it through BMW Assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ebyr

Did you get a replacement car? Mine had to be recovered by BMW Assist yesterday morning after warning on dash and told by BMW can no longer drive the car, followed by being told by BMW that they will not be providing me with a courtesy car, are not obliged to provide one, and car could be in for a month! I've just had to fork out for a hire for next 11 days. I contacted Consumer Protection who say 'recalls' are not covered by Consumer Protection Law. Can anyone here help if you've experienced similar and found a way to get replacement car or costs back?

TBH i was going to ring the day i posted this but BMW called me and told me it was fixed, so i couldnt tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I got a message through the dashboard on my 2016 F10 to say "EGR cooler showing signs of leaking - action 0011350700" and to contact a dealer immediately.

Got on to BMW and they will take it in first week of FEB for a FOC replacement.

I have had it back to them twice under recall (last one in July) where they said that everything was okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Did anyone else get similar message through the car's messaging?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭madonna123

Got this message today

Recently bought 2014 X5 25d se

I’ve spent €4,000 on repairs and it’s still sh*ting itself. His codes show it’s probably all EGR related but he’s Indy so not BMW warranty covered.

Issues include…

Losing power , Drivetrain warning ⚠️, bad smell of fumes , engine light coming on , using alot of diesel , using alot of coolant, white smoke from exhaust

Yesterday lost power, engine - drivetrain warnings up and this morning a message from BMW on screen saying EGR is failing , get it to garage.

No replacement car available, paying for hire car now €230 a week (which is probably cheap )

no idea when it will be fixed

second BMW , problems with both , despite keeping all service and repairs up to date always.

I’m actually starting to think of Bimmer life is worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Whocare

But isn't problem you taking it to independent garage as if was egr probably replaced under recall if was in bmw workshop

BMW couldn’t take it until March 2024

All local authorised dealers booked up with recalls.

Told today 10 cars came in to local dealer since Friday (today Wednesday) on recovery trucks from breaking down due to EGR , 2 of them caught fire.

BMW didn’t really give me any options, park up my €40k X5 for 5 months until recall work could be done , or drive it until it goes on fire

Did you call BMW assistance or the dealer directly? I was told by Joe Duffy was booked solid for 6 weeks when i tried to book mine. Got the alert on my dash and I rang BMW assistance and they got the car towed to Colm Quinn in Drogheda who looked at it the next day.

I called BMW Ireland direct. They sent recovery and brought to nearest dealer.

when I initially was informed the recall work was needed , October 2023 I called every BMW dealer in ROI, earliest available date was March 2024 which I booked.

Indy garage said all engine damage was due to faulty EGR but because it’s a BMW direct fault , if he did it , I wouldn’t be covered under warranty.

my options are were , park up and not drive my €40k X5 for months or wait for BMW appointment.

Or drive and run the risk of engine damage . It stopped running Tuesday and got a message saying EGR leak.

• Advertisement
Advertisement