Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent

Options
  • 13-12-2023 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi guys, my landlord has just told me that he is giving management of our house to an estate agent from now on. He isn't selling, just letting then manage things for him. We've been here almost 5 years now and have always had a great relationship with our landlord, he's let us change furniture, have dogs, put up floating shelves etc. He basically lets us do whatever we want so long as he gets the rent, and has always been fantastic to get things fixed.

We are all understandbly freaking out a bit now because of the reputation agents have, and can't seem to find much info on what exactly is going to change for us here. We were told that they have a rent review and new lease for us, with an approx €50 rent increase, which seems to break rent pressure zone rules. Can anybody elaborate a bit more on what we can expect to change? We are all feeling very lost at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,331 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's a calculator on the RTB website - you can plug in when the rent was set/last raised to know how much it can be raised by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Nothing should really change.

They are just a middleman your landlord is paying for.

If you have a problem...leaky toilet say...you ring EA they have a maintenance team ...they will contact your landlord, get the ok from them then send one of the maintenance team to fix the leak ... landlord will be charged.

It's a handy way to work if you're a landlord without a trade skillset or know trades people that can be called upon at short notice.

It would be unusual to do it after having a tenant for so long, but they might be heading away, may have been diagnosed with health issues etc and know they can't or don't want to be managing call outs themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dantheman95lbp

Just saw that and worked it out I think, seems the €50 increase is definitely too much but I'm probably missing a detail somewhere as well.

My bigger worry is our leeway to do things with the house now. The landlord always had arbitrary rules in the rent agreement that he didn't mind us breaking at all. For example, the agreement said we weren't allowed to put up new shelving or have a pet, but I asked him about it a year or two in and he just said he doesn't care about us modifying the house or us having a pet, so long as we are happy with things, and that he barely even acknowledges the rules in place. I'm guessing this freedom will now be quashed somewhat if he decides to use the same agreement? Will the agency enforce the rules a lot more stringently?

Not that we abuse the house or anything, everything is very well kept, it's out home after all, but we are worried a bit about having to get rid of the dog and other things

It's still the landlord's house. They'll do an inspection take pictures, if they find anything that breaks a rule, they'll report it back to landlord.....up to landlord to say Ah it's fine ...or not.....the estate agent can't really do much without the landlord's approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It is certainly rare to hear of LLs who allow pets and gives tenants such latitude when renting, so you might want to consider whether it is worth objecting to a €50 increase. Though it may break RPZ rules, and people will no doubt tell you to steadfastly oppose anything which contravenes the legislation, sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture and ask yourself what would happen if the LL decides renting isn’t worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

ah, the usual "don't defend your rights" brigade

sure, no need to object now

wait a few years, and then ask for a refund and report the breach of RPZ rules to RTB! much safer

just make sure you keep it all documented

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

why a new lease? the LL is not changing...

it would be best to get your current verbal agreements in writing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JVince

My guess is the LL has several properties and wants to cut his workload.

Nothing should change, just a different point of contact.

Property management agency will have the correct allowable rent increase too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sometimes people don’t see the rather large wood behind the first row of trees.

Most would appreciate how lucky they are to have a LL who accepts pets and gives them scope to make the house more comfortable. You can complain to the RTB, then wonder why the LL is pissed off and why they have to look for the minuscule number of LLs that will allow a dog.

But yes, argue over €50, you’ll feel better about standing up for your rights whilst house hunting, makes a lot of sense.

We 100% think he just wants to cut down his workload, he's an older gentleman and has 3 or 4 properties dotted around the place. All his properties had some kind of RTB inspection a few months back and they gave him a laundry list of jobs that we both have agreed are mostly unnecessary since we've been living here happily,but the RTB won't budge and it has had him quiet stressed, hence why we think he's bringing in the agent.

We don't mind paying the extra €50 too much as our rent is already very reasonable, we are just concerned that it might be a bad omen regarding the agency and doesn't exactly bode well for our dealings with them if they are already abusing power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

The good old RTB who actually bring no value to rental market at all.

Should be no issue the addition of the agent in the mix.

Living the life

Well the estate agent will have the team available to bring the property up to code fairly quickly.

A rent increase will come from the landlord....they will advise the landlord that he can charge X amount, does he want to increase it...up to him to say yes.... however I think you need to be given 3 month's notice and shown 3 similar properties in the area with the higher rent.

The landlord now has the expense (granted his choice) of paying the EA their % and getting building up to code (which it should have been anyway,but codes keep changing so...)....so not a massive surprise if he can increase the rent he will....needs to cover his overheads.

The lease will probably be a sta ndard one the EA uses for all, but the landlord can say "Dan has a dog, I'll allow that," I'd just be making sure that your dates reflect the length of time you've already been in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

A perfect example of the RTB sticking their nose in and upsetting a perfectly good tenant / landlord relationship.

Consider yourself lucky your landlord didn’t decide they’d had enough of the RTB and county council and decide to sell.

Gotta say, my mind is put a bit more at ease now, we just want to keep going the way we have all along and don't want to upset the apple cart so to speak. I'm assuming anything we violate in the EA lease, like the dog or furniture or something, will just mean the agent informs the landlord who we hope will still be as easy-going as he's always been and let things slide? They can't do anything themselves I'm guessing?

Honestly the whole RTB thing has been a nightmare for all of us, such a pain to deal with. We seriously thought he would sell up for a while because of it, so this might end up being a blessing in disguise too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I would pick my battles, not because it's fair but you have a dog and you have to be practical. I'd tell the EA you are OK with the rent increase but would prefer to remain under your existing tenancy. You could say part 4 tenancy or wrights bit they could be to strong a term for no. Pay the 50 and hope they leave you alone you are under no obligation to sign a lease

Advertisement