Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Israel classes this as good rape.

NEW: Josh Paul, State Department official, who resigned over weapons to Israel, says a charity told US govt that a 13-year old Palestinian boy was raped in an Israeli prison.

State Dept led an inquiry and brought the matter to Israel's attention. Israeli officials closed the charity’s office the next day and declared it "a terrorist entity."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

How would one know where they are from when Israel has banned DNA ancestry tracing/testing?

Could it be that their claims may not be as iron clad as they want the world to think?

"What Israel is doing is comparable to what the Nazis did to the Jewish ghettoes in Europe."

Really.....?

Number of Jews living in Poland in 1939: 3.3 million. Number that were alive in 1945: 380,000.

Masha Gessen who lost relatives in the Holocaust has compared it. I've linked to her writing on this page. The hatred, the dehumanisation, the actual treatment of those penned into the ghettoes are very comparable.

As if to prove Gessen's point about the chilling climate of suppression of freedom of speech in Germany now as regards talking about Israel's crimes, she has had her Hannah Arendt prize for political thought revoked just today because of her essay in the New Yorker.

In terms of who was worse between Israel and apartheid South Africa, as far back as 1989 Spitting Image was already strongly hinting it was Israel.

• Advertisement

From that New Yorker article:

"The Nazis claimed that ghettos were necessary to protect non-Jews from diseases spread by Jews. Israel has claimed that the isolation of Gaza, like the wall in the West Bank, is required to protect Israelis from terrorist attacks carried out by Palestinians. The Nazi claim had no basis in reality, while the Israeli claim stems from actual and repeated acts of violence. These are essential differences.

I bolded the last bit myself. I think one is on rather shaky ground making a direct comparison tbh.

You are free to disagree on the comparison. The point is that one is seemingly not free to make such a good faith comparison without punishment.

Gessen being stripped of her prize has proved her point. Israel and the "criticism of Israel automatically equals anti-Semitism industrial complex" have created a chilling climate of fear and censorship. This is by design.

Israel demands views hostile to it be silenced. That is a totalitarian mindset.

Everything the international right-wing (of which Israel is a key member) mendaciously accuses others of is a confession of what it itself is.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They are trying hard. Give them time. The numbers aren't there but they're doing their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

Did the Germans have any reason to see the Jews as a threat?

Was it not rather an entirely gratuitous scapegoating of a minority to advance their own poisonous ends?

Did Orwell or similar ever get a chance to treat the treatment of Jews and other minorities in the hellhole that was Germany before the second world war?

What ,I wonder is the best description of that period by a good writer?

The Nazis saw the Jews as a "threat" for the same reason the far right in this country see immigrants and non-white people as a threat - ie. no good reason at all. Because they were irredeemably racist and fascist and because fascists require an out group to mendaciously paint as a criminal threat through lying propaganda in order to focus all energy of "the glorious nation" towards this fake threat.

Did the Palestinians have good reason to see the Jews migrating to Palestine before and after World War II as a threat? Bloody sure they had, and history quickly proved it - because those migrating Jews who would become Israelis murdered them, threw them off their land, made them prisoners and refugees, scattered them to the four winds, and treated them like animals, as sub humans. And this has never let up since 1946.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, they aren't even trying, and they actually have the means. So please stop with the genocide nonsense, it's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Did the Israeli ambassador go off message with her categorical dismissal of the two state solution? Some people think she may have lost her temper and blurted out something she wasn't supposed to say to a western audience (even though it is her actual opinion and that of the Israeli government).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The difference is Germany wanted to kill all Jews, where as Israel mainly wants Palestinians to leave.

Of course they'll happily kill a very significant quantity of Palestinians to achieve this, but openly trying to eradicate all Palestinians would be too bad for International relations and may see other countries (even the US) try to intervene.

So they'll continue their current approach, kill a large amount, deprive them of basic human needs, impose hunger and terror upon them and the majority will then be begging to leave the first chance they get.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I guess that is what I am on about.

The Israeli strategy seems to be based on an absolutist, zero sum game: we have enemies on our border that are a threat to us, and our security policy has failed spectacularly, so we need to destroy the threat until it is no more.

Respecting humanitarian law and such lofty ideals, are therefore a hindrance to the objectives of security of the nation, and the whole world can just do one.

So that's basically the calculus within which Israeli top heads argue.

I'm just trying to understand the logic, and that to me is a compelling one to understand (in pure logical terms).

That seems like how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Israeli leaders: War to go on until Hamas defeated, ‘with or without’ world’s approval

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-leaders-war-to-go-on-until-hamas-defeated-with-or-without-worlds-approval/

So it's just gonna go on and on. What is it like 2/3s of accommodation is already in ruins. Gaza will just be a scar on the landscape by the lime Israeli bloodlust is satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm not aware of any posters here supporting genocide. I'm not even aware of any posters who are supporting the Israeli Government and the IDF's actions in Gaza

I should know better than engaging with people who spend as long as they do on this thread and post the above, but given you asked me to correct you if you are wrong, let me do so.

It doesn't surprise me to see you refer to Boyd Barret as an antisemite, such an accusation unfortunately carries little weight any longer given how it has been abused by apologists for Israels butchery. It is part of the two pronged approach in an attempt to shut down any criticism of Israel, the other prong being the accusation of holocaust denial...

And you can attempt to dismiss my content as being binary when the reality is that I am one of the few posters to go to the effort of proposing actions for all parties to take steps towards peace and I have condemned the attacks of Hamas consistently, and repeatedly over the last weeks. I don't disappear from the thread when asked to recognize people held illegally on both sides as hostages, in the way some people do.

Here, in this instance, you are complaining because I am commenting on the literal words of a Minister of the Israeli Government and pointing out that despite such clear cut evidence, it is still claimed that they are not carrying out a genocide, or have no intent to do so.

When it comes to being compared to people who have been members of Dail Eireann, I'd be much happier being seen as a Boyd Barret, than an Alan Shatter. Calling for the safety of millions of people should not be so offensive to people in the way it appears to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Israeli official calling for the abolishment of Palestine.

Link

The Israeli ambassador to the UK Tzipi Hotovely has rejected the idea of a two-state solution, saying there is “absolutely no” chance after the horrific events on October 7.

Can we accept that the official Israeli position is that Palestine can no longer exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

"James Craig said it. He was the Prime Minister of Northern Ireland."

It seems that your views on the history of Ireland are as well informed as your views on the history of Israel.

James Craig never said that.

Just like Wellington never said anything about being born in a stable and Jack Lynch never said anything about standing idly bye. Oh, and Humphrey Bogart did said ‘Play it again Sam!’ in Casablanca.

In the context of then Free State politicians remarking that the Free State was a Catholic country for Catholics, Craig is recorded as saying that southerners had boasted and ‘. . . still boast of Southern Ireland being a Catholic State. All I boast of is that we are a Protestant Parliament and a Protestant State.’ 

Post edited by Ulixes on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You're in favour of protecting borders now are ya??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's the thing. It's pretty much uninhabitable. All infrastructure is gone. Housing is destroyed. It will be a tent city of 2.5 million people by the time Israel is finished. At which point I'm assuming the Israeli's will prevent building materials and other stuff from going through. They might allow some food and then claim that they're the good guys.

There's the assumption that they want to make it so unlivable that people will just leave.

• Advertisement

"It doesn't surprise me to see you refer to Boyd Barret as an antisemite, such an accusation unfortunately carries little weight any longer given how it has been abused by apologists for Israels butchery. It is part of the two pronged approach in an attempt to shut down any criticism of Israel, the other prong being the accusation of holocaust denial..."

So now I'm part of a conspiracy to shut down criticism of Israel and engage in holocaust denial. I don't remember becoming a member of such a conspiracy. When did I join this group and does it have a name? ... or maybe you're just a conspiracy theorist and I think Boyd Barrett is an anti-Semite based on his disgusting words.

"And you can attempt to dismiss my content as being binary when the reality is that I am one of the few posters to go to the effort of proposing actions for all parties to take steps towards peace and I have condemned the attacks of Hamas consistently, and repeatedly over the last weeks." You've condemned the Hamas attacks without acknowledging their genocidal intent or that there can be no peace while they are in charge. You've failed to acknowledge that the civilian deaths are a direct result of both Israeli and Hamas engaging in heated street fighting. You've failed to acknowledge that Hamas and their attack in October enjoy support from a significant proportion of the people of Gaza, probably a majority. You keep saying that all Israeli's are culpable for the actions of the Government of Israel but don't accept that the same applies to the government and people of Gaza. How do you square that?

" I don't disappear from the thread when asked to recognize people held illegally on both sides as hostages, in the way some people do." Do you really think it's the same thing?

"Here, in this instance, you are complaining because I am commenting on the literal words of a Minister of the Israeli Government and pointing out that despite such clear cut evidence, it is still claimed that they are not carrying out a genocide, or have no intent to do so."

I've said that the evidence doesn't support the accusation. I've never denied that there are nutters in the Israeli Government that would happily commit genocide. I've also compared the Jewish Settlers in the West Bank to Hamas.

"When it comes to being compared to people who have been members of Dail Eireann, I'd be much happier being seen as a Boyd Barret, than an Alan Shatter. Calling for the safety of millions of people should not be so offensive to people in the way it appears to be."

You'd be happy to be compared with a man who wants to impose a totalitarian Marxist State and therefore massively restrict the civil rights and freedoms of every person in this country in order to ape totalitarian regimes that viciously murdered tens of millions of people in the last century rather than a man who has consistently championed the poor and marginalised and, over the course of a long political career, shown himself to be a brilliant legislator... because he's Jewish and is now supporting Israel. I think that says more about you than it says about Alan Shatter.

Does the Israeli ambassador to the UK now set Israeli policy?

It'll be difficult to let building materials through as long as Hamas are still in charge since their first priority will always be to attack Israel and so will divert resources to that end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭brickster69

Indiscriminate bombing of Gaza confirmed. I wonder what they used for all the mosques, hospitals and refugee camps ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes I'm absolutely sure that what happens now in Gaza is not a genocide and it's nonsense to claim that it is or to compare it with actual genocides.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So her views don't represent the position of the current Israeli Government or is it that in a fit of temper the mask slipped. The evidence given the actions of Bibi over the years would clearly suggest its the former

I think she may receive a dressing down in private for that interview.

"A Protestant Parliament and a Protestant State" is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Annd9

Jmreire , you keep making the point that no countries are willing to take in Palestinians in large numbers because of the perceived threat that they may cause to said counties.

If you check the historical records , the same language was used against another group of people who went through sickening repression and genocide .These people were expelled from a far greater amount of countries throughout history for the perceived threat they caused.

Looking forward to your argument that these countries were absolutely correct in their assessments of said people .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There was a US Intelligence reports about the number of unguided munitions used in Gaza. When asked about this the IDF said we don't comment on such matters. What's going on might not meet the definition of genocide but what it does show is a reckless disregard for civilians. Yet we have posters claiming the IDF are doing their best to spare civilians, that if they really wanted to they could kill far more.

Advertisement