Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,399 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭dasdog

Check out Igorrr who are playing the Sunday of Graspop - really intense and unique but hardly known over here even by metal heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I actually caught them at Brutal Assault last year unique alright but not particularly keen on them in truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Still tickets left for Saturday’s annual Yuletide punkfest with The Nilz and Paranoid Visions at the Grand Social. Bring it on! 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Helmet - The Academy: Solid gig tonight from Page Hamilton and co. Aside from an occasional wanky solo and melodic moment it was pretty good. About 85 minutes worth of taut, heavy enough riffs. Not at the same level as Whores or Unsane earlier this year but glad i went all the same.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement

Great gig last night by Folk Singer Daoiri Farrell in the Seanti pub. He is returning next September with the band

A life well lived…….

Deko from Paranoid Visions still as angry as he was 40 years ago.

His opening line?

‘Shane McGowan, what a clown!’ 😝

Band were loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

The Nightingales in Waterford last night, brilliant gig. Drummer - she was exceptional-

(Fliss i think) happily chatted for 20 mins with us afterwards. Yea that's a real cabbage he's holding

Was that in Downes or Phil Grimes ?

Can picture the venue but cant think of the name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Phil Grimes.

Mark Geary booked for mid Jan if interested

Chalk - Upstairs @Whelans was pretty good tonight. Yard were on support duties and gave us 30 minutes of a techno of sorts. I'd prefer if they dropped the naff 80s synth-Goth vocals and increased the heavy/harshness in their sound, but overall they've got something and i look forward to seeing where they go.

Chalk played 45 minutes and even though they were decent i did feel a bit jaded with the whole thing. I mean how much more post-punk/Gilla Band acolytes/dance-punk can our ears take? Surely it's time to move on to some other sound? I though we'd hit peak-post-punk quite some time ago. I kinda lost interest at the half hour mark due to an ill advised slow, quiet song that put me in mind of Murder Capital. This was then followed by some (relatively) radio friendly sounding material. Plus points for their simple, yet very effective, lightshow (put to even better use by Yard tbh). Minus points for the singer's dangly earing and baggy trousers that were way too short above the ankle.

The gig was better than this review suggests. I'm just airing thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Late gig of the year for me this Saturday night - Problem Patterns, Chalk and And So I Watch You From Afar. All present or past winners of an NI Music Prize. Strong line up.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

'The gig was better than this review suggests'. There's your EP '24 t-shirt sorted, Dreamweapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I see Chalk have been added to the bill for Sprints tour, Dublin leg anyway. That would give you 2 bands to be ambivalent about on the one night!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

Paul Noonan, Lisa Hannigan and Gemma Hayes were unreal last night in the Pavilion Theatre Dun Laoghaire, highly recommend if they tour again together, lovely venue for it too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Anybody know what time The Blades are due on tonight in the Academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

What a brilliant Blades concert. Definitely think they have the best Irish rock/pop singles ever including

Ghost of a chance

Downmarket

Revelations of Heartbreak

And they were absolutely superb live with a brilliant brass section.

+1000

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

Was in the gallery looking down.

I think I nearly enjoyed watching the crowd as much as the great performances on stage!

Watching a crowd of a certain age reliving their younger days with real gusto 😎

A great night 🎸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭KerryM9

Lankum in Dolans tonight, what are the timings does anyone know?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Leicester, Friday

"Merry Christmas Everybody"

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wolverhampton Saturday. My 41st gig of the year and without doubt the best of them all

"Matty" (possibly short for Matilda) shouted out from the audience "where is the naked lady" - (s)he was duly invited onstage to deliver a stunning performance without the benefit of the table tennis bats which appeared on the album cover...

Justin

Dan

Frankie

Rufus

and "Don't let the Bells End"

And Sunday in Cardiff. Sweets are just for XMas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

They did a couple of thin Lizzy covers in earlier gigs, they are throwing in a few random covers, hope they release them at some point. Photos look amazing!

Dave Lofts & SAND from Electric Avenue Waterford

Amazing band

Worth checking out on Spotify

Thumper - Button Factory: I was hoping Thumper would sign off my 2023 with a bang but it wasn't quite there. Certainly not a whimper. Better than a thud. Just not quite a bang! It had its moments but i came away slightly unfulfilled as opposed to all the other times i've seen them. In fairness, the singer had just buried his Granny earlier in the day so that's gotta be weird when playing your biggest headline show to date. Plenty of energy, a few new songs, the hits, decent lightshow and of course 'the theatrics' over the course of nearly 90 minutes. Lots of love from the sold out crowd. Had a load of the audience up on stage during the last song. Said they won't be playing for a while as they work on the second album. Overall, a good, solid gig with a couple of big standout moments. No doubt it will look amazing on the videos/pics across the socials!

My final gig of 2023. I could go to Silverbacks tomorrow/tonight but i just can't be arsed this close to Christmas.

I was amazed at how quiet town was. Hardly anyone on the streets and feck all traffic around. The last Thursday night before Christmas I thought it would be hopping. Nope, seemed more like a Monday or Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭TenPicnics

Yes, as someone who lives and works in the city centre (and enjoys it!) I can confirm yesterday and last night were a welcome little break, it's really nice to have a bit less of the crowds even if it'll all resume tonight and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Enjoyable night at Thumper, The Loser and 25 are bangers, hoping the newer stuff grabs me a bit more on further listens. However I will say, somebody needs to have a word with the lead singer about drinking Guinness from a can - it just isn't done. On the other hand, it was nice to see him and the guitarist who looks like Jason Schwartzman both wearing their thermal vests, my mam and granny would both approve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Was at Lankum in the Wexford Opera House last night - pretty amazing. By God that's some sound they make

Just curious - Ian Lynch was playing this box thing with a winder on one end - was finding it difficult to discern what sound it was making - anyone know what the instrument is?

Advertisement