Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease ends when work contract ends?

Options
  • 13-12-2023 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Chatting to an indian guy today, was telling me that he's having issues at work, but main worry is that his lodgings seem to be linked to his employment, says the lease he signed said it would end when his employment ends.

His landlord is not his employer, he pays the rent to the landlord, he pays the electric bill, he shares with one other, has been renting there for 18months.

I told him to contact the RTB tomorrow to find out where he stands, can he refuse to leave until he is given correct notice of termination? Then he has 180 days from that date?

He has no problem leaving, just wants to have somewhere else to rent before he does.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

that would be a very unusual lease

losing a job is not on the list of valid reasons to terminate the tenancy, according to RTB

as long as he keeps paying the rent, it should be no LL's business if he's continuing to work, or not!

how and why would the LL even know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭Deeec

You may not be getting the full truth here from this guy. Some workplaces do offer accommodation as part of employment and yes he may still be paying a rent for this to a different landlord ( that in itself is not unusual)- check and be clear on all facts before getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

I've no intention of 'getting involved' Just gave him the RTB phone number, rest is up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The landlord just doesn’t want the tenant coming to him and saying “I’ve lost my job, I’m going on HAP” or “I’ve lost my job, I can’t pay the rent this month”. He wants a tenant who’s working and paying the rent on time.

I can’t imagine it would actually stand up if challenged, but if the guy keeps working and keeps paying, how will the LL even know?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

My advice would be to find different accommodation before leaving his current employer. If that's not possible chat to the landlord.

• Advertisement
Advertisement