Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross Practice in Public Parks

Options
  • 10-12-2023 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm not sure if it's local council dependant, but what are the rules about riding your bike in public parks on the grass?

I took my CX bike into my local town park this morning for the first time and rode a few short laps that were almost entirely on the grass. I was alone and deliberately went early to ensure it was quiet, I just wanted to have a bit of craic and practice some skills but part way through my 3rd lap, I was confronted by someone telling me I shouldn't be on the grass because I'll ruin it for others who use the park (despite there being a mile or two of paved paths for people to walk).

I stopped and tried to explain I was just out for a few laps, I was keeping off the paths as much as possible and if I encountered people walking, I slowed or stopped to not be a nuisance. I explained that the grass will be fine, it'll always grow back too but he doubled down on his point that the grass will be ruined and I should leave. I didn't describe much of our exchange but that was the general gist of it.

Was I just unlucky in meeting a grumpy Sunday morning walker or should I be steering clear of public park green spaces? Where would be best to find out? There are no signs to say it's forbidden but I'd prefer to ask around before going back again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Was it a parks employee? If not. you should have told him to mind his own business

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I'd say it depends on whether the grass area you were riding on was mowed lawn type area or just wild grass. If a mowed area then I would say probably no you shouldn’t ride on it as it will tear up. E.g. would you let somone do laps of your own garden with a cyclo-cross bike? Probably not as they would make shite of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Eiregt

The grass is maintained, I wouldn't say it's golf course quality but definitely cut every few months though.

I probably wouldn't be the best person to ask about how I'd feel about someone riding in my garden as I sometimes go about the garden on the bike but I get your point. Although my garden, much like this particular park which is a few hundred metres away are marshy and a bit boggy so would be prone to cutting up easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

It will be fine, enjoy the public park. Plenty of space for everyone.

Tell anyone you meet to enjoy the public park too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Isn't cycling banned by default is most public parks, whether on grass or not?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Generally speaking cycling is not allowed in pedestrianised areas unless there's a dedicated space to do it, like a cycle path.

I guess the question then becomes what is a pedestrianised area? A footpath or walkway, yes for sure, but the grass adjacent to it?

Either way, I figure I'll need to start scouting out a new place to take a bike

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah, you need to check the by laws of your park.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 BornSkippy

Depend's on the Local Authority Park Bylaws.

Eg Dublin City Council prohibits bicycles except in designated routes and areas, whereas South Dublin County Council generally allows them subject to careful use and consideration for others. Arguably, damaging a lawn might fall foul of that condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I think there is some dancing on the head of a pin going on.............

While it seems inconsequential, I think you have to consider the impact of other cyclists (many..?) following your lead and riding knobblie tyred bikes acrosss a maintained area. What is a suitable level of impact before it passes the point of still being sustainable and excusable?

The ground is wet and likely very soft. It doesn't take long for that to be pretty cut up and damaged for the medium-term (given that there is effectively zero natural recovery possible for probably the next 3 months).

Stick the bike in the car and head to the Phoenix Park or the Curragh or the like for some open areas that wont be so pressurised from the above. I'd stay out of the heavily used areas and especially those that are environmentally sensitive (ie Bull Island or the likes)

I'm based over in Galway county so the Curragh might be a bit of a trek for a few laps on the bike 😅

As mentioned in an earlier post, I'll start searching for another spot - places are few and far between this side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Whilst many public parks are maintained by the local authority, in some built up/residential areas the local tenants associations may contribute a management fee for general works in their locale for upkeep of things such as cutting the grass.. And with the ground being extremely soft due to the high volumes of rain over the past while then even one bicycle can cause an impact in grass areas....

And I'm speaking from experience of being told to move on from an area by local residents in the past on CX bikes...

Post edited by Tenzor07 on

I would be somewhat confident the park is local council as I live in the adjoining estate to it and have never been approached to pay a contribution outside of the green fees for the estate.

The grounds were previously part of the estate around a bishops palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I would say "it depends" just cut grass v lawn v pitch. I definitely wouldn't on the later two.

But I'd tell a busy body to mind his own - I've had it the past with dog walkers around saying cycling not allowed - where it is, unlike letting your dog off the lead which they were doing and which is specifically signposted as not allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It can be annoying and I can see the point of the other person. Shen living in Swords I used to do a nice walking/jogging route along the river. One winter it was unusable due to some cyclists making a muck trail out of it. Damage took well over a year to recover properly and it spoiled it for a lot of people who would walk it.

If the ground is soft then one bike will dig into the ground. 10 bikes make **** of it, even if they are spread over a weekend or longer.

In Galway you should be able to find plenty of forest roads and tracks where you'll have loads of space.

Well up here in the mountains, much that's blamed on people on mountain bikes is actually people on scramblers.

I'd agree regarding a pitch or a lawn for sure. Plenty of pitches around the area but I wouldn't go near them with a bike.

On the morning in question, I got caught by a couple of big dogs off the lead chasing me while doing laps. They were all harmless but most weren't under control or would return to the owners so frustrating to be the one called out for being on the grass.

My local park actually held a round of the Connacht CX series once upon a time back in 2013/14 I think, going by a sticky bottle article I found. The likely damage from that race could be the reason it was never used since.

There's a surprising lack of green spaces that are suitable for CX to the north/northeast side of the county to be honest, not without driving 45mins away

I don't know if it's only me that does it but I've spent a little too much time looking at Google maps and using Strava's heat map to find some pockets of green space with some nice features

I should probably create a new post on spaces about Galway/Connacht and see if there's anywhere I've missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Feel your pain Eiregt. It's tough to find anywhere decent to train on. Most coillte forests are no use - massive hardcore gravel roads and a lot explicitly state no mountain biking permitted. We're very anti-sport/ outdoor recreation in this country for some reason.

I've been eying up the green areas in Cherrywood fronting onto the N11 in recent weeks... I saw a few lads training on one of the hills off the flyover a month or two back... some nice looking off-camber possibilities. Anyone any experience of this spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Up past Whelans Wines? I've done CX drills in there solo and with a few people over the years. Some exellent bits (off camber etc) plus a long gravel section. Haven't noticed anyone in there recently but that's probably becuase I'm not doing Cross these days.

I'd agree with the Coillte sentiments, there's some Coillte woods nearby that has some nice technical XC trails with some bomb holes and small drops but I tried the cross bike in there and quickly started to get stranded catching my bottom bracket on the tree roots.

There's another forest trail the other side of me but it's more of a downhill spot - video below would give you an idea.

And any amount of bog roads and gravel tracks linking them together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There was a CX race there a few years ago, maybe 10 or more at this stage, a pity it wasn't held again as its an ideal spot.

Will definitely take a spin out and see if there is much by way of trails/ ruts that might suggest a few still use it for practice/ training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If it is where I am thinking of, the zig zag path, I haven't been there since moving house but you could go under the bridge and there was an off road path adjacent to the N11. It is already rutted just from being damp and walked by people in wellies so I wouldn't be concerned about damage as it is already done. You can also cross the stream if the water is low enough. I think there is plenty to do to the West as you head down but it has been a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Scramblers are not only "up the mountains". My local park is destroyed by the little scumbags tearing it up, I dread to think what they will do when the new and very expensive running track is finished, probably decide that it would be a perfect speedway circuit while the council "parks department" can't be arsed to do anything about stopping it.

Wasn't suggesting they were only up the mountains, just in the mountains bicycles get blamed for damage done by scramblers!

• Advertisement

Found a meadow a short drive from home. All is well again in the world

Advertisement