Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's a stunning looking game. The art style is beautiful. Timeless. It's like looking at an old painting or photograph. They really nailed the landscape and weather. I wish they'd bring out a 60 FPS version/patch.

Also, it's hard to play the main game again when you know what happens to Arthur.

I think I might start it again, and just play prior to the touchstone point and fill out the animal compendium, do the fishing and card, board games. Chill. Dip in and out and leave it on instant resume on the Xbox. 😁

(Single player, not online version)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's snowing in Red Dead Online at the moment and the scenery is even more stunning. Such a shame there won't be any more major updates coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Would be great if an Avatar game was published where you could play as the RDA against the avatar: I'm getting sick of hearing the plaintiff quote : I was abducted and trained by the RDA.

I'd love to defeat the indigenous natives as an RDA fighter!

way back when, I bought game Luftwaffe Commander. There was also secret weapons of the Luftwaffe

Team Red will always be cooler than team blue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You sound like my Argentinian grandfather.

Then again tie fighter was a better game than X-Wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

I never finished the game. You guys have convinced me, it's next on my backlog.

I originally played it on xbox. I'll pick it up on PC and hopefully get 60fps, although I'd imagine it's still quite taxing even on modern gpu's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't bother. You probably quit because the game is an obnoxious waste of the players time, albeit a very pretty one.

I'd recommend days gone ahead of it.

I had little gaming time back then. I'd try to get 20 mins here and there. I just remember mashing the A button to get from point A to point B, only to find out I'd to go to point C. Then it was time to turn off the xbox 😄

But to be fair it's not unique in that.

Lot of cage rattling going on in this thread.

😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Avatar The Game from 2009. Apparently delisted from PC stores.

You play as RDA soldier for a bit and an Avatar at the start, then it makes you choose a side so you play the majority as either a soldier fighting the Na'vi or a Na'vi fighting the RDA. it saves it at the decision point so can do what I did and play all the way through as one then go back to that point and play again as the other.

The Na'vi gets to use creatures and all while the soldiers get to use machinery, as you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I was looking at the sales on the PS store and I saw Alan Wake Remastered. It said "Purchased" underneath it.

I cannot for the life of me remember ever buying that game. I've searched my emails for any confirmation of it being bought and there is none. Just one email advertising the release of Alan Wake 2.

I'm so puzzled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If you added it as a PS+ game, it shows like that. Go into your library and see if the Plus symbol is on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's in the PS+ library but no + symbol beside it.

Maybe I did add it last summer but it's not a game I have much interest in playing. I don't know why I would do that.

I have a habit of downloading the free games on the Epic store. Oh free game, why not. Now my library is full of crap 😄

One advantage of getting physical games only/mostly is that you know exactly what you have and what's left on the backlog. And you can trade them if you can't stand the sight of them. 😁

But, I guess it only works with consoles and not PC/SteamDeck ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I see someone's not a member of the "buying two copies of the same game by mistake cause your backlog has just become this vague, fuzzy thing you're only kinda aware of" club.

We're working on a snappier title.

My Switch physical game collection fits in a shoe box. Mostly classics. Room for a few more if there are any next year. I do have a few digital games and DLC on Switch, but I'm not worried if I lose my account or get hacked. Similar for 3DS. If I don't like something off to CEX it goes. It's great !

Meanwhile I've some XBox digital games and DLC I've bought and free digital games lurking in some digital library that I'll never play and which tie me to the platform.

I am trying to go 100% physical on PS5, but I managed to snag Spiderman Remastered digitally with Miles Morales. There isn't a physical version of that game

It's weird. I hate digital. It just becomes overwhelming, like netflix etc etc. Too much bland content. Too easy to buy crap, especially when you've limited time to play games. Can't return it or sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That's me. Arrive home with a new game I've been "dying to play". Go to put in on the shelf and see the same game still in its plastic.

It's happened more often than I'd like to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I really don't understand the concept of having a backlog, I have some game that I haven't gotten to yet, but wtf is with people hoarding tonnes of games that they are never gonna play? Also, not that I'm saying I see it here, but I really don't understand how people brag about this.

It just happens... Every game I buy I buy because I want to play it sometime but there's just not enough hours in the day to get around to everything. It's exasperated by the likes of steam sales as well.

I've also got the Atlus pile, a pile of Atlus games I bought because there is a very real danger that said games will be unaffordably expensive in a few months when their after market price goes through the roof.

It's not really helped by so many games being so long, I used to inhale games during the ps1/PS2 era but I was also in college then and a bit of a brain box so didn't need to study much so loads of time to play games!

But yeah it's not something to brag about. I loved in with the girlfriend a few weeks ago and she was saying to move my collection in but it's about 20 boxes of games and way too much so I'm going to have to get rid of most of it, it really is too much, I don't have a mansion to store them in and most of these games are available digitally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I also wonder about people's budgets and income: I presume these are just rock-bottom sale items people are scooping up so it doesn't impact their budgets too much - but I still wonder as well.

I had my year in review from Nintendo, and it seemed I played a sum total of 7 Games, lol; I used to have a giant backlog but it's funny how life priorities shrink ones ársing about time to the extent I have to be particular about what games I play - I simply don't have countless hours to invest in games anymore. And lately if it's a choice where my free time in the evening is my movies backlog, or a video-game, I'm choosing the movie 'cos I'm so old & decrepit some video-games leave me too addled for sleep lol.

It's why the "Live Service" seems doomed to fail - if it hasn't already. the most people can "invest" in might be one grindy-áss game, but anyone with work or life commitments simply don't have the free time to endlessly grind at every AAA game coming out.

Just to be clear, my thoughts are completely separate to the concept of having a game collection, I can see that wasn't clear. I completely understand that. Its more the whole 'look at how many games I bought that I will never play' kind of attitude.

Yea this is pretty much where I am at. I pretty much plan out the broad strokes of what I am playing months in advance to make sure I get to everything I plan on buying. I wish I had the time to play everything, I havent even started Baldurs Gate cos I know I would need 3 months for it. I have that slotted in for late March after I finish FF7R 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,562 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I get what you mean. I've never seen is as any kind of brag or anything though, more like a shared commentary on eyes being bigger than their stomachs, that they've bought all these games but man it's so hard trying to find the time for them that you end up never getting to a lot of them. That shared feeling that a lot of gamers have, particularly due to sales where you buy something because it's a bargain and got good reviews, and just never get around to actually playing it because life and newer, shinier games.

I've always seen people laughing about their giant backlogs as just people somewhat laughing at themselves for buying these games that at this point they know they'll never play, and if anything probably knew they may not play when they bought it. There can definitely be a dopamine hit when you get a good game on the cheap, but then the dopamine wears off and you have a game in your library that you'll "get to eventually".

I'm the same with choosing what games to play. It used to be that I could make time for an interesting double A game as they were 8 hours mostly but now everything is a 40 hour open world time waster and I'm just going to ignore it for a shorter game or a retro game. I've actually started to enjoy games a whole lot more since I've been focusing more on 8 hour older games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone played Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader on the consoles yet? How does it play?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah Balder's Gate looks great and possibly something I'd enjoy (scrubs Karlach related Googles), but I also know I simply do not have the free time right now to play a game that deep and systemic. It'd be a waste of money.

Something TOTK had more "knockabout" configuration to let you dip in and out but those Western RPGs can be more of a time sink. Which TBH ATM kinda drives my purchases: can I dip in and out of this for an hour session and get something out of it?

Basically I'm the gaming antithesis of someone like @ancapailldorcha and his Paradox games 🤭

I've not finished Baldur's gate 3 but I imagine it's much less of a time sink than my 150 hour play time for totk. It's more a game you have to sit down to for a couple of hours rather than dip in and out of

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Outside of a few Steam sale indulgences, I’d never buy anything I don’t have every intention of playing. Doesn’t always work out that way - far more games than time - but I’d say if I spent good money on a game I’ll play it. It’s the ones that I get on sale or in bundles that can often sit uninstalled and unplayed (sitting in their plastic wrappers was a very occasional thing back in the glory days of video game shops and deep discounts).

Big difference between not playing a game at all and just dropping it though. Lots of games I’ve put at least some time into but am unlikely to ever return.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement