Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The apple case seems closer to anything consoles, google where using their position to keep Epic off other manufacturers phones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sure we will find out soon with the Sony case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The thing about scams is they usually want to actually make money out of it. Genuinely baffled how any money is being made here (if refunds are indeed being offered), despite it being a scam. Im sure Steam payouts aren’t immediate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I imagine it's a PR move by steam. I Mena it's good publicity and shows that they are looking after customers. I kind of doubt they can do a massive charge back on the banks in this regard.

It's small change to them for a publicity win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Tbh if everyone did a chargeback on this it would cost Valve a lot more money than the refunds. Those chargebacks usually cost companies about $35 per instance plus the amount being retrieved.

• Advertisement

E3 is officially another casualty of the Covid-19

As much as E3 turned more and more ridiculous I'd much prefer it to whatever the Geoff Keighley show is.

I'll always remember E3 fondly, there was huge anticipation to see all the new games but even better were the disasters. Nintendo's awful connectivity focused keynote. Konamis comedy gold presentation. Most of all was the meme worthy presentations when Sony got a dose of hubris when launching the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Geoff right now

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Another thing shut down by the hater toxic culture. Gamers really are their worst enemies sometimes. It's gone from being a social hobby to a loner in your bedroom hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It was dying before COVID came along TBF. The pandemic was just the final nail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Eh? E3 was a casualty of a) major video game companies realising they could cut out the middleman and just do Nintendo-style directs or solo shows at a fraction of the cost and none of the scheduling woes of a big E3 extravaganza and b) COVID delivering the mortal blow to an already badly wounded in-person event that was stuck in the past.

Not sure what ‘hater toxic culture’ has to do with anything, other than it will be most fondly remembered for the glorious catastrophes than it will be for a bunch of bland corporate ad presentations that made up the bulk of the public show.

• Advertisement

It became cool to hate it. Consumers gave the companies the excuse they needed to pull the rug.

The pandemic is over, we should be back to in person events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I think you're way off here. Video game companies are going to do whatever saves them/makes them the most money and has little to do with consumer sentiment. The ESA were charging them exorbitant amounts for a service they no longer needed.

I don't even know what your second point is? All the Keighley events have live audiences again.

Fair enough. Maybe I was in a social media bubble but I've been increasingly frustrated with all the hate of what was simply an in person event to get gamers together to enjoy games. You could see it dying a death, this is no surprise.

I don't agree it was instigated by the video game industry. Absolutely they would prefer not to do it. I mean look at the **** show releases we are seeing, God forbid they would have to pull together some playable demos for an event. But to me it became this cool thing to hate on it. Games are years out, same games each year etc etc Who cares? It's an event to get together and enjoy your hobby.

I know in person events are on the come back, that's my point to the argument that covid killed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I will miss the E3 threads here. They were great craic. It always made me look forward to something in June.

If you think E3 was an event to get gamers together and not a cynical industry event to sell to vendors that morphed into an event to sell to consumers then you were watching a different E3 than I was.

The difference is I don't have a problem with it. Lots of.people did have a big problem with it and it became an object of hate for gaming fans.

Now.its.gone, great well done everyone. Now back to your.bedroom to watch YouTube videos of carefully curated cut scenes.

Imagine Starfield at E3. We'd all know years in advance what they were up to. Or we'd know it was originally very different to the end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Ah I loved the anticipation of E3 and prior to the big internet boom get a trailer disc on offical playstation magazine along with the demos. The good old days.

the Epic thing is really interesting and one to keep an eye on, I am firmly of the believe the real reason people chose one console over an other is not the exclusives is just that so many people are digitally invested in a console and its not worth moving to another as odds are your mates are in the same boat.

Unless of course you and your mates are Nintendo fiends only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

For whatever warranted criticism E3's model might have received, the Geoff Keighleys of this world demonstrate that it can, in fact, get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It was a show by the games industry for the games industry while the Geoff show is a show for Geoff to make money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Never particularly kept up with the guy, but his entire shtick seems to be every cynical game media trend manifested in one being and dispensed with the charisma of a dual carriageway.

I mean I can't begrudge him as he has found a niche and is making the most out of it but comes across as shallow and as you say he hasn't much charisma as a presenter. He's done some decent deep dive games journalism in the past as well and I kind of respect that he owned the whole Dorito pope scandal instead of threatening for libel like Lauren Wainwright did. Saying that he's kind of embraced the whole Dorito pope thing but, hey, he isn't pretending it's something different from what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If it was just details of the game, Insomniac could release all info in a spoilered post. But the fact that they also have employee details makes it worse. Hope they can be traced/caught. Pure scum is all these people are. A known ransomware group... state of the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What I miss about the lack of E3 is how it's gone from about a week of news to being spread out and not knowing when something is on. Like Sony may or may not do a State of Play at the beginning of June while XBox could be later in the month, then Ubisoft have something in July.

E3 compressed all these into a few days and they would have big announcements.

But then we had the Wii U era where Nintendo switched to directs so it was easier to control and no need for a big presentation when they didn't have much to show. And Sony's last year was when they only had the 3 games with themed areas journalists had to travel between, wasn't it?

Yep that was Sony's last show and a colossal waste of money. Nintendo's direct that year was way more popular and reached more people for a fraction of the cost. That was pretty much the beginning of the end for E3.

Again, this has little to nothing to do with the circumstances of E3. There are plenty of successful in-person gaming events still happening: PAX, EGX, Gamescon, TGS… the problems with E3 were unique, in that it tried to marry a trade show with a consumer one, and became a bit of a mess in the process. And then publishers quite sensibly realised they could do the latter part themselves and save a bunch of money and stress in the process. None of this is anything whatsoever to do with ‘gamer hate’.

And for the vast, vast majority of people E3 *was* always just a bunch of YouTube videos anyway. We’re an Irish message board: it’s not like many people here were flying over to queue for demos and presentations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,606 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah Sony had already pulled out in order to do their own thing, and Nintendo were doing their own Directs. It was really Microsoft and Ubisoft who were keeping their own big showcases at E3. But many started to suspect the writing was on the wall in 2019. And then 2020 happened which all but guaranteed it.

E3 for several years had always just been about the Youtube videos and game reveals/announcements anyway. But it started to make far more sense that the bigger companies began doing their own things in order to not have to try compete for headlines with other companies, or having to get trailers ready for a specific date they may not have wanted to hit.

In terms of people actually playing the games on the floor throughout the week, as JU says the vast majority of people will never have set foot there anyway, and most would have just relied on different gaming outlets/journalists playing the games and then sharing their thoughts. That still happens at other events and even private preview events.

The E3 most people enjoyed, in terms of the game reveals/announcements, is just Keighley's Summer GamesFest now. Some other companies do their own showcases that same week. It's basically E3 at this point.

One of the main discourse points around E3 was always who ‘won’ - makes a lot of sense for the companies themselves to get away from that pressure and just do their own thing on their own schedule. Also eases the burden on devs - E3 demos were infamous, highly stressful crunch-times for devs, often at the cost of the final game (going by reporting by the likes of Jason Schreier - the push for a fancy E3 demo leaving little time for actual realistic development).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow, rare W from IGN. They reached out to devs who won awards at the Geoff show but didn't get a chance to give a speech and the devs replied with their own speeches through this article, classy move!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Sorry lads, ye've lost me!

That game awards would have been 6 hours if people got to blabber on or if every winner was brought to stage!

Concise and swift! I think the production team did a great job of making sure it wasn't drawn out and boring.

It's just that now people have nothing to complain about, so they say they want speeches to be longer

They really don't, they just want something to complain about, IMHO :)

Advertisement