Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

The UK electorate that voted for Brexit and swung that way primarily due to immigration were concerned over a 22% increase in their population from 1970-2023 and a 14% increase from 2003-2023.

Ireland saw a population increase of 79% from 1970-2023 and a 33% increase from 2003-2023. The UK would have an extra 11.4 million people if they saw a similar trajectory to Ireland. Those Brexit voters would have had an aneurysm if presented with this proposition. The USA would have an extra 46.3 million people for another comparison.

The state built 13,000 houses in 1970 with a population of 2.9 million. 68,000 in 2003 with a population of 3.9 million. 18,000 in first seven months of 2023 with an aim of 33,000 with a population of 5.2 million.

This is why vast swaths of the Irish population cannot buy a home. It would be interesting to see numbers of teachers, guards and doctors per capita; I'll go out on a limb and assume it's a similar picture of government incompetence overseeing a lack of planning and investment of Irish infrastructure while juxtaposed with a population increase rate only witnessed in third world countries.

(I'd appreciate someone running my numbers and pointing out any errors in my data).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

You mention those who can relocate, I'm already preparing for that, even heading up to northern ireland is quite an easy option and is now why I would be 100% in favour of keeping NI in the UK.

2 years ago and for my whole life I would have been 100% in favour of a united Ireland but not with this joke of a country, I wouldn't wish this crap of such sn idiotic government on anyone, Boris was an idiot but at least he gad enough people around him to steady the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

90 Adult males to be housed in 29 rooms in Ballyshannon. All IPAs, so only god knows who had documentation if any of them. Totally madness.

Ireland, the emerald Isle.

Soon to be The biggest refugee camp on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

My first thought was Sweeney’s bar/the limit as that’s in the process of being converted to apartments at the minute. But it’s cavangarden house which is nearer to Cashelard than Ballyshannon! Meeting tonight about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

We need a populist party that will have a zero refugee policy and a transactional approach to the EU. Ireland First

• Advertisement

Ad usual a meeting after a decision has been made. Would you know if any consultation was had with the community before this was made public.

Nope, no official discussion at all.

Another crazy one - in Bundoran there are apartments that have been rented out for donkeys years. The tenants were all served notice to quit over the last 12 months or so and now the apartments are housing asylum seekers. How did they bypass tenants rights on that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭ECookie13

I love how you keep popping up here "debunking" everyone with short "that's not true" statements, without any citation or proof that they are wrong, whereas you are getting proved wrong by articles and citations. Here is proof of how a far left argument goes.

More stealth tactics, disgusting behaviour.

Yeah same happening here with tenants and houses, not a word of condemnation from any politician, councillors or political parties up here. And they wonder why right wing parties are gaining ground.

Ask a question back about what they think of the benefits they are getting now and holidays and you won't get a reply either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Gamergurll

The ignore fucktion works a treat, less time spend reading through trollish replies 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Gamergurll

This, it's nice to read the figures. We keep hearing about refugees in other countries, mostly the UK and US, but we don't have the population to absorb these huge numbers.

After listening to the local radio station. It was a local politician who contacted the radio station to make locals aware of what is happening. What way is this of doing things. It shows 100% that they know what they are doing is wrong..It was stated that this is a very rural area so ideally for 92 young healthy male men

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. Nobody had proved the point wrong with any links at all. The links provided by me and other posters did not prove anything.

Ukrainians do not get free phones. They don't get them from government. They don't get them from An Post.

Even people who claimed they do get free phones on this thread have had to admit they were wrong.

The claim is thoroughly untrue. Restating the claim doesn't make it true. Twisting the claim around in different ways doesn't make it true. Saying they get free sim cards doesn't make the claim true. Saying NGOs might give them a phone doesn't make it true.

The claim is untrue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Oh for chrissakes Annasopra you're being pointlessly pedantic.

They get free phone SIMS. It's reasonable to presume that they all have phones already. You can't use one without the other.

Your pedantics merits an Ignore.

New arrivals were given chargers for free at the beginning. It could still be the case, I haven’t checked.

Couldn’t be having any of them spending a fiver out of their 220 on an adapter plug

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Here's another example of the real issue...

Near the end of that article they interview a man who came here with his son 2 months ago...

Myroslav hope to move on from State accommodation soon.

“The plan is to find hosts as soon as possible and move there with them. I would like to get into a more English-speaking environment so my son can learn the language faster,” he said.

“Further, when I start working, I’ll start renting. Long-term plans include a mortgage”.

Now, some will argue "fair play to him. He wants to start paying his way and contributing", but the issue is that he has no entitlement to be here under the current programme. He's not a refugee.. he's an economic migrant who by his own admission has no plan to return home.

He should be forced to reapply for residency under the normal non-EU immigration criteria, not being paid by the State to start his long term plans of improving his economic status and settling down.

Was there not a motion passed recently that anyone wanting to become resident in the state had to provide evidence that they could generate 35,000 euros in income to support themselves before being granted residency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agreed, we never signed up for war refugees becoming permanent residents. No problem with sheltering Ukr war refugees to the same extent as applied in other EU states. But when possible and practical, all war refugees need to be repatriated to rebuild & repopulate Ukraine. That is their duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Myroslav came from a city right in the west of Ukraine , Uzhhorod on the border of Slovakia, designated a safe city but he decided to come to Ireland when he could have crossed into Slovakia if he thought there was any threat. He should have been sent back.

"Is Uzhhorod Ukraine safe?

Traveling within Ukraine

Do not go to cities where active hostilities are taking place. Today the safe cities are: Lviv, Ternopil, Ivano-Frankivsk, Uzhhorod, Chernivtsi. Kyiv is returning to normal life, but sometimes there is a threat of missile attacks."

• Advertisement

Actually that guy is from the city of Uzhhorod, Ukraine.

But if you look at google maps, it's the most western city of the entire country and would be entirely untouched by the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep, all true guys and as per my quote above he even admits himself his intent is to settle here long term - ie: NOT a refugee, and therefore no entitlement to be here under the criteria he arrived.

How many more like him are there? I'd confidently predict that the majority now here have similar stories/plans.. even if they're not in the IT advertising them.

Would never have guessed that our best hope for our futures now resides with Marie Le Pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Italy has such a party in government - they have taken in 160,000 refugees this year (none of them Ukrainian) i.e. the far right have no solutions to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Wrong thread

Post edited by Hungry Burger on

Meloni isn't far right, and yes she's totally back slid on her pre-election positions. Probably due to her political naivety. Woo'd by power and by the powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This is the problem though - it's the easiest thing in the world to claim you are going to severely limit immigration or stop refugees and to throw out a few three word slogans, but much, much harder to implement.....the UK are discovering the same, despite having the most right wing government in their history.

Can migrants flows and refugee crises in 2023 be halted merely by passing new laws in parliament? It seems very debatable....it's like thinking you can make all of crime in your country go away just by passing a new law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Totally agree with this. I was living in the U.K. 2016 pre-Brexit and saw it all. England has had its fair share of far-right liars and cheats. Nigel Farage is the biggest con man of that era, just rode the wave of frustration and told everyone what they wanted to hear. In the end he was an empty powerless fool.

Immigrants on boats aren’t the problem in the U.K., but legitimate immigrants brought in for cheap labour with the say so of HMG government. None of which would matter a dot if the infrastructure, services, health care, education and affordable housing was there to meet the needs of the population. But as the Tories have limited everything year on year due to their never ending austerity policy, people are struggling and deeply unhappy. And once you add Brexit to the mix, it’s downright misery for many in the U.K.

The culprits are always the politicians & decision makers, not the immigrants. Boris Johnson did absolutely nothing to solve these issues when in power, he just ruffled his hair and shouted that the lefties have caused all the problems. A superb liar, I’ll give him that. Rwanda is a stick to control the Tory rabble it’s not meant to fix immigration or resolve any issues.. just Sunak’s empty pre-election war cry.

Politicians not involving communities to have a say and inviting honest debate with everyone in Ireland about setvices, affordable housing, healthcare as well as immigration, will drive the country into the wrong hands. I can’t believe politicians are that arrogant & stupid, they know how this will end.

Lying populists always do well in times like these, but inevitably make everything so much worse.

Post edited by Mr.Wemmick on

Advertisement