Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ten Hag seems to have only 1 way of playing and it isn't sitting back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Any time I've seen them, he doesn't seem to have any way of playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

His hand is going to be forced a little this weekend. Due to Bruno's suspension he will be forced to play Mainoo along side Ambrabat. This will by default make them a lot more compact.

They're just going to sit in this weekend and hope to hit us on the break, or play for 0-0 entirely. We need to score inside 20 minutes, something we have had issues with all season. Going in 0-0 at HT on Sunday will not be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Alonso77

we scored 6 goals against them in the 2nd half last season so we should be reasonably confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Considering Liverpool are tending to give teams a headstart I won't panic if we are losing at half time, prefer to be winning obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder if James McConnell might see some minutes tonight? 2 sub appearances this season totaling a handful of minutes, but one of them was in the PL, which suggests to me that Klopp isn't afraid to use him or think it's too soon.

Hopefully Kaide Gordon can get back on the pitch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Klopp mentioned Kaide in the press conference yesterday, basically said his body couldn't quite take the pressure but that was normal at his age. Sounded positive, I got the impression we'll see him again soon, hopefully tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Was at the 7-0 in March and bought my ceefax mug as a souvenir!!

just got my ticket yesterday for Sunday and buzzing for it.

would take a scrappy 1-0 now all the same.

I've a feeling that Gakpo will play 45 at least. Too much to just throw kids in together away from home without a senior player with them. Doak is small as it is, so having a front line of (Doak, Gordon, another kid) is a bit too small overall and the ball might not stick up front. But something Like Gordon Gakpo Doak does work. And can switch it at HT to something like Doak Nunez Koumas for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

It's a nothing game. No senior players need to play. Let the kids play with no pressure. Resting players is way more important than tonight's dead rubber fixture. I'd have preferred to see fewer regulars travel tbh

I think players that need to be rested, will be. You can't really just throw 11 kids on the field and hope that it works. There has to be some senior players too, to knit it together. Sometimes just throwing kids in at the deep end and having a shocker can have a detrimental affect on them and stunt their development. You also have to look to next Wednesday too, in the league cup. You want players playing tonight to be eager to play in that game too. Players like Endo / Jones / Elliott / and one of Gakpo / Nunez. Get them into a rhythm because it could end up being a similar team next midweek. We're gonna need goals there too.

Hopefully Szobozslai & Tsimikas don't play any minutes at all. But because of the current squad situation, players like Endo, Jones, Elliott can all start as they are not exactly playing 90 mins every week and Gomez has to otherwise it's Quansah on his own. The full backs can be kids alright.

If we come out of tonight with a decent showing, and not having any minutes for each of Alisson, Tent, VVD, Konate, Tsimikas, Szoboszlai & Salah, I'll be happy. That's 7 of the 11 starters on Sunday, including the entire back 5. Diaz / Gakpo / Nunez / Gravenberch are probably gonna have either 30 or 60 mins max each so keeps them ticking along but more importantly it might get them back amongst the goals before the bigger games. Play them into form.

Not that I ever dreamed we would get 6 in one half against them, but that first goal was what crowned that game. UTD were actually quite good in the first half and were quite happy to soak up what pressure we applied and counter us. As soon as we scored it completely done them, Ten Hag went absolutely gung-ho full offensive from the off in the 2nd half and the rest is history.

That's basically what I was saying, the longer we keep them in it, the more hope we give them. If we get a goal in the first half like last season, it will be game over. It will force ETH to go for it and we should find acres of space after that.

I'd love for Nunez to bag one early, it could be a very fruitful game for him if he manages that!

My point is that it's a nothing game. It doesn't have to 'work'. Lose 8 nil. Who cares?

One defeat will stunt a player's development? Pull the other one. A youthful team got hammered 5-0 by Aston villa a few years back while the seniors were at the Club World Cup. Elliot played that day..

Key players have played a lot of minutes. Rest them while the rare chance is there.

IMO, It has to work or the fringe players / kids receive more harm than good.

What team plays next Wednesday against West Ham in the cup quarter final when they are all devoid of confidence? Because you can't play the same team against Man Utd, West Ham and Arsenal in 3 games in 6 days. It has to be a blended team across the 2 midweeks and 2 weekends IMO. Obviously while resting big players too.

And yes Elliott played, so too did Gallacher, Boyes, Van Den Berg, Hoever, Kane, Chirivella, Christie-Davies, Hill & Longstaff. There were high hopes for Hoever especially before that, but he seemed to drop off after that and only played 1 more time for the club and was sold that summer after previously being on an upward trajectory. How many of the others appeared for the club again? Majority weren't ready.

Devoid of confidence? What are you on about? Losing a game of no consequence with no expectation will have no affect on confidence. If you think one defeat in a dead rubber game affects a players long term development you are stone mad.

I'd expect a mixed team against West Ham next week as it's a quarter final that the club would like to win. Tonight's game win, lose or draw is of zero consequence. The only thing that's important is getting through it without injury to any first team players.

• Advertisement

We are to the bone at CB, RB and LB, none of our first team options there should play tonight. Get hammered? Who cares.

I'd even prefer if Klopp was staying at home.

it's a nice mix in the end

Kelleher

Bradley Quansah Konate Chambers

Elliott Endo Jones

Doak Gakpo Gordon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Grand with that except Konate. He gets injured were fucked

Playing someone as fragile as Konate in this seems a bit reckless. Would expect Gakpo, Jones and Elliott to get subbed at some point.

• Advertisement

One of Konate / Gomez had to play.

There were no other CBs registered to play in Europe, including the B list. VVD/Konate/Matip/Gomez/Quansah are the only CBs registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My guess is Konate and Gomez get 45 minutes each. Nunez to come on gor Gakpo early in the second half as well.

True. Could have stuck Endo in there and played one of the kids in midfield

My thinking too. Pre-planned sub.

EDIT:

Konate actually kinda needs the (45) minutes. These are all of the games since the start of November. He's only played 90 mins once in each of the last 2 months. 45 mins is fine tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭tinpib

Allison, Trent, Virgil, Salah left back in England. Good stuff, proper rest for them.

Do we not have to pick our squad from a list of 25 players handed to UEFA at the start of the season? Can you just throw a load of unregistered kids into the squad now, or is that only for the Champions League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

It's still quite remarkable to me that we have a player in Konate whose minutes have had to be managed since he arrived at the club. Potentially a superb defender for us but utterly unreliable in terms of getting a run of games together.

My understanding is that List A is the 25 players and then you also have List B which is youth players (born after a specified date). Effectively an unlimited number of kids can be thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

It's a throw away game. We look very very shaky at the back. No shape. Everyone looks lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No surprise so far really, it's a collection who have never played together, so nothing will be instinctive. They'll always have to take a look up to see who is where. Hopefully as the game settles down after 25 minutes or so they can start to find a rhythm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

On the point about top 5 qualifying for Cl next season, the premier league should still be ok.

England has topped the rankings 3 years in a row. Premier league has 6 clubs left including the favourites in all 3 competitions (us for Europa!). So better than 50/50 chance still that England gets a 5th spot in my opinion.

Don't like Doak on the left, would like him and Gordon swapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Terrible communication on the broadcast from that VAR check

Kelleher unlucky, nearly got there. We don't look good but I'm finding it hard to care lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Looked off but then we got shown no replay

That's the best shot I can find of it

The big man! (Big boy!)

Quick control and strike. Quansah having a great breakthrough season.

Nice finish, well deserved after what happened in the last Europa game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Made that look easy 🤣

• Advertisement

At least it didn't take too long for his first after the disallowed against Toulouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Great strike Qansah, but their marking from the corner was dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Clearly off. We're getting rode more with VAR in the Europa league than we are in the PL, and that takes some doing. Quansah's equaliser against Toulouse should never have been disallowed.

Midfield is piss weak. Poor from Kelleher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kelleher should be doing better there

That Machida is a nasty piece of work. Dived to get Bradley booked and left a boot in on Doak’s head there.

• Advertisement

As with many of Kelleher's ones it's not really a mistake, but at the same time is one you'd just hope your keeper can rescue you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Forgot europe is an hour ahead and missed the first half.

Game any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Utd fan here,give Allison a break and start Caoimhin on Sunday 😉

He should really have left Liverpool as his game has stagnated in the last while.

Is that Gravenberch coming on for Konate? Oh Gomez is there too.

Very much just managing the minutes of lads who'll be playing at the weekend it looks like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement