Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Depends on what you want from the player, if any front row is isolated like that he is going to struggle. Porter and Furlong are freaks and we rate players based on them, two of the best in the World.

In reality if Marty comes back it will be for games in the URC and the 20 mins off the bench in Europe.

Will he come back to Leinster? I dont think so. I think it was the Molecast that started that rumour a few months ago but havent seen anything to suggets it will happen. I think it is more liked Nienebar will get to pick a player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ah come on. I want a player that's been on the pitch for 20 minutes to be able to at least maintain some sort of linespeed and then be able to track back without resorting to a walk. Diarmuid Barron beside him was on the pitch the same amount of time and kept linespeed.

Moore was only isolated because he showed one of the worst displays of fitness and attitude I have seen from a professional rugby player - prop or not.

This is not comparing to Porter and Furlong. This is comparing to the most basic thing you expect from a player at any level - getting off the line in D. Moore doesn't get a pass here.

Also I am aware this is one example in isolation. But it's not an isolated incident. Moore has never had the fitness or the work rate to thrive at a high level.

I disagree but it wouldn't be fun if we all agreed

Will he join Leinster? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I have high hopes for Fintan Gunne, and think he could, in the next 5 years be potentially vying for the number 9 jersey alongside of Casey and Doak for Ireland.

I see your point regarding his versatility but like you, I have noticed McGrath potentially not being the same player he was a mere 2 or 3 years ago. The injuries are creeping in. He is a Leinster lad through and through and a really good leader and I think they do keep him but I am very worried about Leinster if JGP and McGrath potentially pick up injuries.

In the back of my head, I'm thinking is it better to find your next scrum half who will potentially push JGP all the way for the 9 jersey like JGP did to McGrath or stick with what you have and continue to develop the young players.

They more than likely stick with what they have but part of me hopes, that they are keeping their eyes open for fresh talent at the position so they aren't left with their trousers down if a few injuries occur. They will always look to promote and nurture Irish talent first and foremost.

I think Leo Cullen isn't a fan of Marty Moore. He had many occasions to bring Moore back and voted not too. His fitness levels seem to let him down which is a staple of the Leinster game is to be able to play high pressure rugby for 60+ minutes. Moore can be that 20+ minutes TH prop off the bench but I think that ship has sailed, even though I value Moore extremely highly as a scrummager.

If I had to guess, Cullen consults with Nienaber and they find a starting quality Tighthead prop from South Africa who allows Furlong to come off the bench and give Leinster a extremely strong bench.

I know it is very easy to make bomb squad comparisons with Nienaber being the previous South African coach. But in this case, I think all indications going forward actually point to Leinster trying to create a bomb squad of their own.

In the next 18 months, depending on how much Jack Boyle pushes on at Leinster and if Leinster land themselves a Good TH, The Leinster bench could be vastly different.

Bench: Ronan Kelleher, Andrew Porter, Tadhg Furlong, Ross Molony, Jack Conan, Luke McGrath, Ciaran Frawley, Josh Van Der Flier.

Leinster's strength in depth should allow for some of their biggest performers (especially in big games) to come off the bench and demolish teams in the second half. Ryan Baird and Will Connors both showed against La Rochelle that next man up mentality when called upon.

Imagine in a Champions cup match being able to sub on after 55 minutes: two of the best props in the world, a former world player of the year, a hooker that was called up to the lions and a former lion.

This is how the Springboks put teams to the sword and went back to back.

• Advertisement

I don't think it is up to Cullen in reality. If they get the option to sign a player from overseas then I would expect Nienebar will be the one picking that player.

If Leinster is restricted to Ireland only will they sign anyone at all or just try to promote from within?

I do think the IRFU will have to allow them to sign a player from overseas. Can't see at this stage how they can't, especially when you consider they didn't allow the second row signing Leinster would have wanted because I very much doubt Jenkins was first choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bear in mind that Nienaber will be taking a large wedge of budget for his salary requirements when it comes to these considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think its pretty obvious that Leinster especially since cullen got invovlved have been investing heavily in coaches more than marquee players.

Leinster have the best convor belt for talent in Europe. Maybe even the world. They have invested in the coaches to develop the players they have coming through.

I dont see Leinster signing a big name in any position. They may pick up a couple of NIQ players but not a player in the top 5 in their position in the world.

Realistically Leinster all ready have some one in every position who arguably fills this role that has come through the acemedy or has improved to be in that discussion since joining the club like Lowe and JGP.

Personally I'd much prefer to see a young player like McCarthy come through over the last 2 years than going out and signing the likes of rg synam or mcguire and clarkson getting game time instead of signing malherbe.

Everything would tell you Leinster don't value the scrum as highly as other teams do.

We came out second best in the scrums on Sunday in La Rochelle and still deservedly won the game, and there have been numerous other examples in recent times for Leinster & Ireland.

We're not going to sign a highly limited player from a fitness & around the field perspective just because they're deemed a good scrummager. They're far likelier to sign another player who is good at the latter two and competent in the scrums at best at the highest level.

The IRFU have reached an agreement with the provinces that allows them to select one contracted player for the Men's Sevens squad from each province - more likely a player who has had prior involvement in the Sevens programme - to compete for a place in the Olympics

• Advertisement

That's intriguing.

Curious at what level it'll be - like are we going to see guys like Hugo Keenan, Shane Daly, Robert Baloucoune going or is it likelier to be be Academy level guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d wonder who would actually be interested. Higher profile players are less likely to want to give up a season of XVs

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

In regards to Nienaber making the calls on who is brought in, I do believe it always will be a group decision but I would assume Nienaber would be leading the way in terms of the talent acquisition.

Leinster and the IRFU got Sexton off the books, and in the near future will probably have Cian Healy, Jason Jenkins, Michael Ala'alatoa and Charlie Ngatai off the books.

I think for the first time in a very very long time, Leinster and Nienaber can be a bit more ambitious in the talent they want to bring in. I'm not expecting World beaters like RG Snyman, Will Skelton or a Antoine Dupont. but I think Leinster can afford a tier higher than Jason Jenkins and Michael Ala'alatoa.

Snyman is a liability. Skelton is on huge money. I dont even want to know what Dupint is on

I would hold onto jenkins and Ngatai

Where are you seeing this reported?

While it would be good to see some top talent in the sevens program I think there would be a combination of provinces still not wanting to let a player go as well as a player preferring to fight for their place in the XVs squad.

Keenan as the most obvious example. Not a chance Leinster would be willing to give up his services for the sevens program regardless of what agreement was made.

• I suppose that Keenan is centrally contract will make the decision much easier for Leinster to stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I expect Murphy to be on a pro contract next year, at least a development contract. Foley if he can stay healthy is a good option. Why would they look elsewhere for a scrum half? A signing would hamper the development of Murphy and Foley. Gunne is also coming through.

Luke has a bit more to go. He's fine for league matches and to come off the bench in the euros. He's not a great 9, tbf. He is a leader among the squad and a fine player. He's nowhere near an international call up and is fine for what Leinster need.

Like I said, I know Leinster won't sing the above players I said I'm not expecting them signings at all. I said Leinster can afford to upgrade over Jenkins and Ala'alatoa without breaking the bank.

I wouldn't be against keeping Ngatai but not if it comes at the expense of Jamie Osborne getting less opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Keenan has already said he doesnt want to play 7s.

• Advertisement

For the 1st time in years Leinster are on the brink of finally bringing up through the system, quality young 9's. We've had no joy with producing 9's and the last quality 9 that Leinster produced would be Luke. I know he's not a great 9 but, he is the only 9 produced in 10 years!

Now there's decent prospects in Foley and Murphy. Foley unfortunately, is injured again but prior to the injury, he was looking good. Murphy is getting a good look and is up and down. He still is a possibility for a contract and I think he'll get signed. 🤔

They've given Clarkson a good look so far. I hope he gets more opportunities as he looks better now than in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Ages of Leinster IQ'd starting La Rochelle pack:

1. Andrew Porter(27)

2. Dan Sheehan(25)

4. James Ryan(27)

5. Joe McCarthy(22)

6. Ryan Baird(24)

7. Will Connors(27)

8. Caelan Doris(25)

If the Provinces and IRFU want to cause as little interruption as possible they will go with this:

Connacht: Andrew Smith or Tom Daly

Ulster:vAaron Sexton

Munster: Shane Daly

Leinster: Liam Turner or Jimmy O'Brien

If the IRFU want Ireland to compete to win:

Connacht: Mack Hansen

Ulster: Robert Baloucoune

Munster: Craig Casey

Leinster: Josh Van Der Flier

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Did Casey or VDF play Sevens for Ireland?

Don't recall either; Crowley and Connors have appeared for them?

I don't think Jimmy O'Brien or Shane Daly are at the same level as Aaron Sexton or Andrew Smith (even though he's played a bit for Connacht this year). Both of the former guys are starters in full strength sides ATM, and as a result of injuries and other reasons, both Leinster and Munster are quite short of options in the back three. I think it would be pretty disruptive to lose those guys.

Minimal disruption would be sending Aitzol King, Andrew Osborne or Chris Cosgrave (from a Leinster POV) and someone like Ben O'Connor maybe from a Munster POV. The retirement of Andrew Conway has left Munster very tight in back three options.

What leinster players played 7's over he last 5 years.. Keenan, will connors and Jimmy o brien? Anyone else?

I'm pretty sure Liam Turner and Chris Cosgrave did too.

Tommy O'Brien feels like a perfect fit for it, but can't see where he ever played it.

I could be wrong but possible guys like Martin Moloney played a bit as well.

Ryan Baird feels like he'd be a phenom in 7s - he covers so much ground as a tackler and has great top end speed.

I would absolutely love to see Baird play sevens (but not at the expense of his Leinster prospects)

Baird isn't just fast for a forward. He's fast full stop. I think it remains to be seen how good his passing at 15m+ off either hand would be but other than that I don't see anything physically that would hinder him in sevens

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm like that across the board. Don't want to see any of our senior players moving to 7s.

I'm no 7s fan generally anyway, and I don't think even if we absolutely prioritised it that we would still win a Gold medal, so I don't see the point. I would generally prefer any international honour for Ireland above a club honour for Leinster, but I draw the line at 7s. If you gave me a choice between Leinster winning a European Cup or Ireland winning a gold medal at 7s, I'd take the European Cup 100 times out of 100.

Advertisement