Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The trans movement has absolutely created a climate of fear and repression, attempting to silence anyone that questions it. They tried it with the likes JK Rowling but she was and remains too big to cancel. More and more people, organisations and groups are now taking a step back and adapting the common sense approach and as the father of a 5 year old girl that is into sports its fantastic to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think Facebook and boards are talking to each other on my phone because the following was in Facebook while I was scolling last night:

Basically, a female Canadian power lifter April Hutchinson called out the new Canadain female national champion Anne Andres for being male, smashing records and bragging about it. She went on with Piers Morgan and said:

'It's been very disheartening, that national record that he broke athletes have been chasing that for years,' she said. 'It just goes to show the physical advantages that a male has over a female.'

In response, the Canadian Powerlifting Union says it has recommended that Hutchinson be suspended for two years, which she said was for 'speaking publicly about the unfairness of biological males being allowed to taunt female competitors and loot their winnings.' 

Andres sounds like a wonderful woman who enjoys mocking her opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

There are new examples of this happening in women's (read female) sports every week. But the same people will have their heads firmly buried in the sand, calling anyone who calls this out transphobic and bigoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

How else can they keep this going other than by banning women for speaking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It's very simple really, Men (xy) should not be competing in Women's (xx) sport, period....

A very obvious thing to suggest, but this is 2023, and we in the anglosphere are desperately trying to wrestle reality back from a very invasive & pernicious form of social contagion, which leads some people to believe & promote a dogmatic & dangerous ideology which has no bearing in reality or the facts of life!

Sharon Davies says it better then me.

• Advertisement

https://www.dailysignal.com/2023/12/07/exclusive-parents-speak-out-after-boy-wins-girls-irish-dancing-regional-championships/

A boy who came 11th in the world as a boy in April, competed as a girl in a world championships qualifier at the start of this month and won, taking a world championship spot from a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Irish dancing. There's no safety issue with Irish dancing. Once again showing all these complaints up to be really about exclusion of trans people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Well I can speak for myself in saying what you're asserting is complete and utter nonsense. My issue has always been about sporting FAIRNESS.

Please quote any post by me where I assert that the issue with Transwomen competing in the Female category is a safety issue. Otherwise, it would be nice if you had the good grace and manners to withdraw your disgusting allegation. But That's more hope than expectation on my behalf, to be honest. I wouldn't expect either trait from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There is no issue about safety or fairness in Irish dancing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Well that's one complaint. And you said "all these complaints" This thread has 182 pages, many of which are people taking issue with Transwomen competing in the female category in sport. You have alleged that "all these complaints" are "really about exclusion of trans people". I can speak for myself when I say with 100% certainty that mine are not. They are about sporting fairness.

It does indeed seem you neither have the grace or manners to withdraw your disgusting allegation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Do you actually have a clue of physical activity?

Have you read recent reports?

I must have missed the part where I said this was unsafe. Though it does raise the safeguarding question about shared changing rooms. It is unfair to the girls that they have to compete against a boy who has the benefit of male physiology.

A girl has missed out because of this boy competing in a category he shouldn't be in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Any athletic activity that has separate categories for male and female competitions does so exactly for safety and fairness. Dancing is a very physical activity so having the physical advantages that males have over females is going to be a factor.

Post edited by CatFromHue on

This seems to be the first women's world championship, won by a male.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭scottser

There are so many examples throughout history of a third gender, that is neither male nor female, which avoids the problems of current binary paradigms. Surely the sensible approach here would be to have a third, open category in sports that anyone can compete in?

Two issues there:

(1) Transwomen generally identify as females, not some 3rd gender. Similarly, Transmen generally identify as males, not some 3rd gender. As a result, you are likely to find that your approach will not be regarded as an acceptable "solution" by some/many transgender athletes.

(2) Most sports are categorised by sex (determined by physical characteristics), not gender (determined by how people self-identify). There are only 2 sexes: Male and Female. Of course, there are also genders labelled Male and Female, but there are many more additional genders. There are no other sexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The people in the third gender are still male or female though? They just have a different gender identity. So this third category would just be dominated by males also. So a situation where there are is a male mens champion, a male women's champion and a male "genderless" champion. Sounds great

I think the Dublin Marathon had a non-binary category this year, and the number of entrants was a small handful, if I'm not mistaken. So, I'd tend to agree that there doesn't seem to be much interest in such categories.

Agreed, and I reckon the Dublin Marathon has set itself up for future issues as a result. The existence of a non-binary category implies that their categories are based on gender rather than sex (there is no non-binary sex). So (1) Male and Female categories should as a result allow anyone to enter those categories once they can establish that their gender corresponds with that category (So a Male sex runner with a GRC establishing their gender as female should be eligible to compete in the female category), and (2) this puts them completely at odds with the direction that world athletics are heading.

As the Dublin Marathon is also the Athletics Ireland national marathon championships it's going to be interesting to see if the very obvious potential collision of eligibility criteria turns up as a real issue in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Should a biological male (ie a person born a man) be allow to compete against a biological female (ie a person born a woman) in competitive 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races?

That's really the question of this thread - it's gonnen a bit bigger by expanding it to other thing but if we go back to basics the answer to the question is simply no.

Its a pity the reasons why need to be "debated" in any instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

I think weightlifting would be a better comparison of the sexes. The bigger (heavier) you are, the more lifting potential you yield.

Let's look at Mens & Womens Olympics. There are different weight classes for Mens and Womens but let's give the Women a little advantage here.

Mens: SHI Zhiyong (gold medal winner) China - weighs 73kg. His lifts: 166kg and 198kg.

Womens: Neisi Dajomes (gold medal winner) Ecuador - weighs 76kg. Her lifts: 118kg and 145kg.

The man lifted 38% more weight than the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

A third gender of human you say! ....

Possible sightings in ancient Rome of the lesser known spotted dickusvaginalis (latin) might be responsible for this myth? But not in reality, for there is no such thing as a third human gender or sex. Just Male & Female, Man (xy) and Woman (xx).

So called Trans "woman" cannot, and should not compete against girls and women in sport, (an obvious thing to say even ten-year ago), but now the confusion & uncertainty, as to what a woman is, and the fact that the female category in sport was set-up so that women could compete against each other ... and not against biological males!

Actually a number of men's sports have no sex categorization.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So it looks like Lia Thomas is going to test World Aquatics' category eligibility rules in the CAS (The ultimate legal decision maker in sports).

That's good news. A definitive ruling by CAS will bring clarity, one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Seems like the guardian is no longer denying the obvious. Really surprise to see this line from them.

"Thomas, who was a moderate swimmer in the male category before transitioning, has now recruited the Canadian law firm Tyr to take a case to the court of arbitration for sport in Switzerland"

They might have decided this isn't the hill to die on, as most sports are going one way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

that sounds nonsensical to me, just look what you posted and have a think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sorry: among Gen Z.

at least 23.4 million identify as LGBTQ across all ages if you can extrapolate from Pew across the entire USA, which is catching up on the mere 36.4 million registered Republicans. Those numbers will converge rapidly as the boomers die out.

Define tiny group please.

Advertisement