Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭stanflt

The problem with northern herds is that. They are housed and never grazed- I’ve no problems with Bord Bia- my cows are more effecient and produce less emisssions than a purely grass based cow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

It's not banding is the problem per se but the way it is being implemented. The 6500kg is too low and the penalty for going over it is too extreme. More bands are needed imo.

How will you manage when we are back to 170kg and not allowed to export slurry

I’ve heifers this doing 680kg ms and this is supposed to be a bad year- 20-30 % increase in output for no more inputs- Irish genetics are poor converters of meal so are very inefficient

I’m up on output this year- no extra feeding- less Irish genetics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Point I’m making is grass is great till it dosnt grow or dosnt perform as well when it gets less of its chemical n fix when grass grows well and grazed at right covers yeadh it’s good ….cow has big energy demand Yeadh but she gives it back in spades ….and I don’t need to keep as many of them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

That's my point more banding levels would likely leave those as they are and add more, not sure on exact figure but I think the highest is 117kgs/ N for highest yielding bracket in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭green daries

Should have them fairly quickly did you give then a ring I've found them very good usually but sometimes a call is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would the best way around the whole thing is rent ground and grow some corn and maize. Reduce meal and extra acres for derogation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 martinnn1997

Il give them a buzz in the morning thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Shannonsurfer101

It will be a sad day if we have to consider the possibility of a housed system to maintain a modest income. Nitrates is only one factor causing untold challenges, the elephant in the room is methane. If we don’t get a handle on this, farmers both dairy and beef need to be prepared for an 18% cut in herd numbers by the end of the current decade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Had a discussion today and the gist of it was that europe is pushing the nitrates agenda so as to curtail the natural advantage Ireland had to produce milk off grass so that it would level the playing field with our fellow European producers.i suspect as much and I would contend that even bringing it to 170 will not improve water qaulity one jot and will result in irish production becoming less carbon efficient than it is at the moment

I don't know about that ,beef production has been uneconomic with years and hasn't freed up much land

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

60 ha farm all cows, assume contract reared young stock, and in high band could milk 124 cows at 220kgs thats a sr of just over 2/ ha.

Would have to back to 96cows at 170 or have to find another 17ha or 42 acres just to stay at 124. Say 250/ acre in rent plus the cost of growing whatever is on it. Can be done but no 2 ways about it earning potential is being hit hard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

teagasc advisor had a slides up today from work on derogation farms stuck for land. It basically boiled down to being break even at 550 kgs milk solids feeding 1.2 t meal . So neither better off or worse off. Just staying the same on profit

other case study was 450 kgs ms/cow feeding 1.2 t meal and you’d be better off to reduce cow numbers in that scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The current system is based on the calculation of N for the middle of the band. So Band 2 is set for 5400 kg roughly, meaning all herds from 5401 to 6499 are getting away with producing more milk than the N figure is calculated for. If you increase the 6500 then the mid-point of Band 2 will increase and that will have the effect of increasing calculated N per cow overall

Similarly, if you bring in a 4th or 5th band, it would mean a higher N rating for any herd in this range because the median N for the band would increase. At the upper end Band 3, the N rating is for a cow yielding at 7155kg i.e. 106kg . Any herd doing above this level is getting away with producing whatever they want for no penalty on N rate. A 4th or 5th band would mean something like a 120kg N rate for 7800kg plus- a disaster for the high output herds.

In the current system, the herds somewhat negatively affected by having 3 bands are those that sit between 6500 and 7154kg , which is about 9% of herds, and of these about 5% could drop into band 2 quite readily. It is possible 90 to 96% of herds are better off with 3 bands rather than 4+. Nothing simple here but definitely I'd say 3 bands is better overall.

Yes but most beef farmers work off farm- do you expect dairy farmers to work off farm when dero is gone

if I wasn’t making money I’d give up in the morning- are dairy farmers stupid then in your opinion? Genuine question

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Youd be better going to 80 cows forget about contract rearer

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

The idea that the derogation going will make grass based low input systems uneconomic is total nonesense.

The farms most at risk are farms with large capital investments to pay down and need output to dilute fixed costs. Which can be any farming system and depends largely on the stage of the buisness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Most southern farmers wouldn have the skill to operate an indoor system.Controlled starvation is all alot know its beyond me how teagasc boys can have a 35 day rotation in september when growth has slowed and its been 21 all year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,563 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a lot of beef production that is profitable. Lads just use the tax system to use up profits to minimise tax. Most of these lads are working off farm as well. They have there system set up right to minimise workload.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Naghhhh be better off finding a big dairy farmer and the woman and lease the lot to him for 500 an acre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

2023 was just a tough year. It might be all changed by next June with a rise in milk price.

The dropping of vat rebates on certain things is another blow to non registered farmers. There is no week that Fianna fail and fine geal don't stab us in the back.

I'm hoping for 2024 that farmers will stand up for themselves at the local elections. Farmers alliance and the rural independents party seems to be the only party's that have any sense of what is happening to rural Ireland.

If farmers keep supporting the people who are against us we deserve what we get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Took a long spin up to the Winter Fair in Belfast with the brother in law today, just to see how the other half of the other half lives. Its really nice show in a lovely part of the world and impressive trade stands too (I nearly was tempted to buy a calf feeder).

But man oh man, the high input Northern dairy man is squealing!

High costs of nearly 38p a litre, meal bills out their arses (feeding over 3.5 tonnes for about 8000 litres now) and getting less than 32p a litre in return. Where is the skill in that? Working all the hours that their God has given them as well.

They have a totally different method of paying for milk too which I found interesting, volume all the way. The farmer is on a hamster wheel as a result- all extra milk value must come with an input cost. Its not working out too well for them. Another thing is they get 100% tax relief on machinery in a single year, which explains all the kit. As for profit and technical progress, forget it by the looks of it.

I had a chat with a big lump of a man from co Tyrone and he said he would swap any day with the Southern system. Grass is always greener I suppose, even if it is on a long September rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Contract rearing for the last 5 years. Yes it’s not simple and there can be sone issues but it’s no different than having an employee in how you treat them with issues etc

I’d find it very hard to go back rearing my own unless a got a well set up block of ground near by to rent. Really simplifies the system

I saw my weanlings last Friday, hadn’t seen them in 3 months. All fine and they’ll be more than ready for ai at the end of April

Methane really is only something environmental activists have grabbed onto and made it a huge issue for livestock farmers...... there was a report about all the Methane leakage from fossil fuel producers there a few days ago .......by god it died a death in the media after a day or so

But is that it,give up or chase land just as we did with quota.i started a "can we officially say the dairy boom is over"thread back along directly on the back of the squeezing regulations that I saw were on the way and its effects.as far as I could see we were back to quota days and diminishing income potential on dairy farms in ireland.

As for are we stupid question,I think anyone who trys to remain milking in the current climate probaly is and the smart ones would lease out and work off farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Come election time FF/FG will give the usual aul guff and farmers will again fall for it hook,line and sinker .I am hoping we will see 3 healy rae on the ticket for Kerry in the next election that might leave ff/fg with 1 td in Kerry .Unless Fitzmaurice gets strong backing I am fearfull for farmer alliance with local elections in 6 months and not a dicky bird from farmer alliance in the news .You aint going rock up in 6 months time and expect to walk into a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's like the new organic farmers, they can't judge it properly for five years at least,

Putting a system up on ETTG in the first year is BS

Advertisement