Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Probably time for McNamara to come home. He's done very good things and it's probably more a matter of when not if. But perhaps would look at one of the provinces first and build from there.

I'd personally like to see Richie Murphy.

He's already been in the setup and the attacking rugby he's had the under20s playing has been a sight to behold

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You'd have to think this is a massive loss. Had his detractors at the start of the Farrell tenure (and I include myself in that) but what a way to turn it around, playing some of the best rugby I've ever seen from an Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Yeah didn’t even think of him, few decent names in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The IRFU are one of the four shareholders in British and Irish Lions DAC - they won't have a problem seconding him to work for a company that they are a significant owner of.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Good bit of news.

Shame Catt is leaving, I wonder who his replacement will be, will we take someone from the provinces or broaden the search to coaches coaching abroad. It must surely be a well sought after role, aside from the RWCs we're a fairly successful team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would be shocked if his last contract had a clause allowing him to basically just leave a year early.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

delighted about the farrell news.

I very much agree with this.

We always had a view that we were one of the fittest teams around, but an underrated aspect of that IMO was how efficient we were as an attacking force. If you think of the NZ Tour in 2022 and the Grand Slam this year, our efficiency in attack was a major part in conserving energy.

Catt has made us such a slick and proficient attacking force, so whoever steps into those shoes has a massive role to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Delighted he is staying on and catt will be a big loss, could probably do with a new scrum and forwards coach, Paulie just didn't cut it at the world cup unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Mad how we value Catt at this point after the grief he was getting in the earlier times. It was also very much a case of him getting the criticism then but not nearly the same amount of praise when it started to click.

Hope he goes on to something good, he has earned it. There were rumours of a return to Bath but surely not given how well Blackett has gone since moving there.

• Advertisement

It was also very much a case of him getting the criticism then but not nearly the same amount of praise when it started to click.

Hell, I think I completely forgot he was coaching us at one point...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would like to see Carolan bought back in to the system. I wonder if he'd be a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Catt really had us humming. He did a great job. I wouldn't be surprised if Borthwick picked him up.

From The 42

Performance director David Nucifora today confirmed the Union has reached an agreement with the provinces to select one contracted player from each province to join the Men’s Sevens squad and compete at the Paris Games.

The IRFU will likely turn to players who already have Sevens experience. Ulster wing Rob Balaoucone, Munster’s Shane Daly, Connacht’s Andrew Smith and Leinster pair Hugo Keenan and Will Connors are some of the names who could come into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Well deserved contract extension for Andy Farrell

Definitely think ROG will then the take the hot seat

• I think it'll be Simon Easterby. Looking at the way they done it with Farrell taking over from Joe having been in the camp under him. That and Easterby was given the Emerging Ireland tour to look after last year.

Easterby will have been there a very long time at that juncture though. I'm sure he will take over during the Lions break for AF so maybe that will help him, but it will massively depend on how the team is going at that point.

I don't think ROG is ever going to coach Ireland tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Agree that ROG is very unlikely to coach Ireland in the foreseeable future.

Club coaching, especially French club coaching with their budgets, is light years away from National team coaching. ROG's relationship with rugby authorities wouldn't endear him to the IRFU either. His undoubted qualities as a coach will keep his name in the conversation, but only at supporter level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yes, his interactions with officials are an issue but, if ROG was interested, I'd go as far as saying it'd be negligent of the IRFU if they didn't at least consider him. I don't at all see how you can say it'll only be in the conversation at supporter level with such confidence.

I don't think they'll give him any consideration unless he is under the umbrella of the IRFU first.

And I'm sure they will consider him (I haven't seen much from them in the last 10-15 years to suggest they negligent. The less said about before that the better), but his interactions with officials would be a pretty good reason to rule him out even ignoring their preference for in-house hires. I think his chances of coaching Ireland are pretty slim as things stand, but if does return to Munster and makes a run of it then obviously he would be a strong favourite.

• Advertisement

Farrell, Catt, Easterby & POC all came to an Irish role from working outside the IRFU, no reason ROG couldn't do the same.

They all came to an assistant role.

The discussion was about ROG taking the head coach role.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Personally I'd prefer our head coach didn't spend half the season suspended for abusing officials.

The discussion was about ROG taking the head coach role.

I'm not sure it was

But either way, the Head job is not vacant until after the 2027 RWC, there's time yet for ROG to have an assistant role before then.

Well deserved contract extension for Andy Farrell

Definitely think ROG will then the take the hot seat

We have very different definitions of "hot seat" otherwise.

Of course he has time, if he comes in as Munster coach or assistant coach then things will change - as I said. I think there is almost zero chance he comes in from his current, or any role outside Ireland to the Irish job.

I'm well aware that was for the head position

However, you later posted

I think his chances of coaching Ireland are pretty slim as things stand, but if does return to Munster and makes a run of it then obviously he would be a strong favourite.

I then said Catt, Farrell, Paulie and Easterby all got positions in Ireland without working in a province.

That route is open to ROG too.

Fair.

I don't think he would come through the assistant coach role as I don't think there is a role for him for Ireland and a head coach at a province is a far more likely route.

I don't think either are all that likely in the grand scheme of things, but I've been wrong before.

I think there's more chance of him coming through an assistant role at Ireland than at provincial level but I also don't see him leaving LAR for a while yet, he's been too successful there to walk away now.

Which basically means the chances of him taking over in 2027 are essentially zero. Which is fair enough for both him and the IRFU.

Beyond that it will depend on who takes over the role as Ireland coach and whether he is interested in coaching Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Farrell getting an extension makes a lot of sense. He's very good at racking up the wins in the June and November test windows while other teams are prepping for the World Cup, which is what the IRFU value, as it keeps the Aviva full with the casual fans who'll keep buying tickets. Yes, he failed at the World Cup, but unlike other tier 1 nations, that's not the IRFU's priority.

Advertisement