Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prime Time Gender Issues (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

• 14-12-2023 11:06pm

Waiting list in Tavistock for transition detailed on Prime Time

Mod note - discuss the topic civilly and in good faith or don't post.

Referring to trans people as mentally ill or men in dresses will mean a threadban at the very least

Threadbans

Theboinkmaster

Cyrus

Hamsterchops

L.Ball

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

There’s issues being mentioned on Prime Time, what are people’s views on this program. To me it elucidates issues concerning people who have received surgical intervention too soon.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

The person arguing for the gender-affirming model wondered why there was a need for psychosexual history prior to gender reassignment surgery when there was no need for such history for, say, appendicectomy.

Suggesting that questions regarding the connection between a person's psychology and biology are irrelevant when the organs involved are actually sexual organs is just bizarre.

Interesting insight into such thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Big claim there for any child sent to the Tory NHS for treatment.

Quite extraordinary.

Is her organisation funded by the State?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

"We take a person at their word at a given point in time" is what the pro gender affirming care activist said.

Using that kind of logic does that mean psychiatrists should be handing out shotguns to every suicidal person who comes in to talk to them?

A lot of young people (not all) going through confusion about their gender identity are going through a phase they will eventually get through, they don't need to be shipped off for surgery .For some people surgical intervention is the only solution but for a lot it isn't. Problem is with the activists they don't want to hear this. I think having any type of gender reassignment surgery on non adults (and before people try to gaslight me this has happened) is just wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

• Advertisement

Re appendectomy or gallbladder, a surgeon does not take a patient’s word at any given time that this is the most appropriate intervention . Who is is charge here? Politicians/polticics?

Considering it’s so difficult to get a basic neuro exam it’s a travesty

When I was a young child I insisted I was like a boy, guns from Santa, engineering toys, hated shirts hated girly stuff, hated dolls, utter tomboy.. guess what… ended up looovung males… just plain engineering loving gal… full female… females love STEM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Sorry. This entire thread is transphobic. Can't believe it hasn't been locked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

I would prefer if they spent time discussing the incoming use of AI by law enforcement.

This other stuff is yet another distraction

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

If my 7 yr old daughter told me she wanted to tattoo her whole face I'd tell her wait til your 18 and you can do whatever you want. If she came and told me she wants to be a boy and wants her ovaries removed and be pumped full of testosterone I'd tell her wait til she is 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't see the full programme, but don't see how an adult can take the NHS to court for allowing their surgery to happen, when they realise after the op they made the wrong decision.

You're an adult, your choice.

If they hadn't been allowed the op, they would have sued the NHS too.

When I was a chiseler wanted to be a boy, how I wanted to be a boy!!! Yep, until I wanted to be a gal admiring boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I could not believe what i was watching total 180 on the usual stuff

children on the spectrum will sleep safer in their beds tonight

The prevelance of teenage girls saying they are boys is quite a bizarre recent trend.

Any explanation for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I thought both the programme and this thread are a complete breath of fresh air and how dare the HSE treat such respected medical people so badly - they have the true welfare of the children at heart and it’s about bloody time that that TENI organisation gets a good kick up the hole because theyve done far more harm than good to those children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Medical intervention should only be for rare cases. And not on children. But for some reason it's being normalised. It's like normalising FGM. Also, there is money to be made. Lots of money.

For someone who really feels they need to go this route. That's fine. But they should be relatively sane, lucid and an adult. They should be aware of the costs and risks they are putting themselves and the tax payer under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You would have got banned on boards for saying that not so long ago - thank Christ the world has changed

I would have been one of these, quite honestly I would, even though I fancied boys and I still am very attracted to men. I was way ahead at maths, and typical boys stuff when very young, waaaay waaay ahead, got on super my with boys,explained to a wee lad The fundamental lad who became a maths prof. I KNOW nowadays I would have been considered trans; I wound have considered myself trans; only because of the woeful stereotypes. This concept has ever driven me crazy. I’m am a phenomenally beautifully rotund beautiful female with tons of typically male interests m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I believe it’s called ‘normal human variation’.

When they used to beat the left-handedness out of kids there were much less left hands people in the world. When they stopped the level of left-handedness rose and then plateaued.

When homosexuality was a criminal offence, in certain countries, the number of gay people was low. When those laws were changed and gay people were accepted for who they are the numbers rose and then plateaued.

Now that trans kids are feeling more supported in certain sections of society their numbers will rise and, once the hatred and fear are conquered, they will plateau as well.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

It was sad to see people who were persuaded, without proper counselling, into very serious radical surgery. These people certainly an ores ent cases to answer.

• Advertisement

And the link to autism and most of these girls being outcasts and it's the trendy thing to do at the moment.

Nothing to do with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Well, I can't give someone else's opinion, only my own.

Expressed opinion can no longer be repressed as was the case not so long ago, and was definitely not in favour of women and was the agenda of those who championed of those engaged in mysogyny. And I stand up unfashionably for men in many instances.

There are studies demonstrating links between autism and gender and other dysphorias, where people feel uncomfortable in their skin for a number of reasons, none of which is addressed by changing the body as it is pervasively in the mind. I’m quite sure there are plenty of instances done fit into this category. However it seems that autism may be in the increase and there are some lingers as to possible increases in cases, such as more paracetamol increased during pregnancy, maybe due to increased demands of physical activity upon pregnant women whose muscles and sinews become somewhat lax and achey.

Everyone knew gay people, my mother born in 1920s knew them, she had an idea her beloved boyfriend (not my father) was bisexual; it was illegal but everyone of us had gay friends from long back. Of course it shouldn’t have been illegal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Wow "Silence anyone who opposes me" ... so original.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

So there you have it: The Tavistock Clinic reports children in their care are 1/3 more likely to have either autism or some other similar neurodiversity, and Cambridge University reports the rate of autism in transgender people to be between 3-6 times that of the wider population, and those matching figures are from two bodies independent of each other.

I had no idea those numbers were so monstrously high but it answers a lot of questions.

-Shield

My own quiet opinion is that everyone is afraid of expressing any kind of opinion tbh.

This will change within the years. I welcome diversity in its fullest form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Tavistock is nothing more than a clinic experimenting on vulnerable children no children from here or elsewhere should be sent there for any reason,

Autism generally brings with it obsessive behaviour so claiming that your in the wrong body isn't necessary going to be fixed with puberty blockers or drastic surgeries to alter gender,they obsession and compulsive behaviour will still be there,there should be some protection for people against themselves rather than being told yes your in the wrong body here sign here and we will surgically change your gender, autism mixed with depression and other mental health disorders need.to treated first and foremost,

I've noticed more and more girl's claiming to be trans non-binary where it can change day to day what gender they are and people are expected to bend to their whims ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I think they were being sarcastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yeah, because autists are well know to have easily changeable minds. 🙄

And autistic people are well known for their slavish devotion to what's trendy. They're always in the latest styles straight off the catwalk.

There's a higher proportion of gay people in the autistic community. Are you saying that those gay people were convinced by others that they are gay? Are gay people going around and targeting autistic teens to make them gay? No, of course they're not. Are gay autistic teens deciding that they like being rogered because it's trendy?

There's a higher amount of LGBT people in the autistic community. No-one is quite sure why. the two things have a link. But claiming that they are like that because autistic people are easily influenced by trends and would change sexuality or gender on a whim is just plain ridiculous. It's also disgustingly ablest. It removes all ability to make rational decisions from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

How man children under 18 years old have had gender reassignment surgery in this country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

And this means what for every other child?

Stop projecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not really no. There's a lot more to treatment way before surgery.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nobody is suggesting removing the Ovaries of 7 year olds though, you are creating a nonsense hypothetical situation that never happens.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

When I was a kid I wanted to be a dinosaur. Thank fk dinosaur reassignment surgery doesnt exist, I'd be looking fairly stupid now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

But they are suggesting that said girl should have her identity affirmed, and be socially transitioned. No questioning, no exploratory therapy, just affirmation. Groomed into believing she actually is a boy. Which will lead to medical interventions.

It's child abuse.

Plain and simple.

Child abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

So when a child says something and someone agrees with them, it's grooming. You do realise that grooming is convincing someone of something.

When people agree with you are they grooming you?

And also, can we stop using the word grooming. Grooming is used when a sexual predator is convincing a child to engage in sexual activities. It's not when someone says it's ok if you're trans or gay and I'll accept you for who you are. It's not saying "I'll use whatever pronouns you want me to use".

• Advertisement

Who is this mysterious "they" - All guidance on young children claiming they are trans suggests getting advice from medical practitioners.

And also no its not "grooming" because there is sexual abuse of children taking place.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

It does seem like a phase at the moment for vulnerable teenage girls.

You clearly don't welcome diversity though if you are so insistent that trans children don't exist

Terry Pratchet

One the girls say they are a boy that's grand.

But once they want hormones and puberty blockers - this must be a nightmare for their parents knowing that it's just a phase that will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Heraclius

How is your opinion quiet when you have so many comments in the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There was zero balance in the show. No mention of the harms done to the much larger majority of trans kids and adults by NOT having access to services. No mention of the years of delay on the waiting lists for services. No mention of how rare 'regret' is for those who have gone through surgery.

It was a fairly classic hit piece.

None, according to the summary of treatments given on Prime Time.

How would the parents know that it's 'just a phase'?

By 'bending to their whims', I presume you mean addressing them as they ask to be addressed, right? That's pretty much all you have to do. They're not asking you to climb Carrauntoohil or anything - just show a little bit of human respect and dignity.

This 'can change day to day' is a figment of your imagination, but you knew that, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

this attitude by the pro-gender "care" activist is just nuts. They are probably doing it for financial gain (somehow).

If i walked into a hospital and told them i wanted them to remove my arms because i didnt want them, they would admit me to a psychiatric unit, not perform the surgery.

So why are they performing mutilations of kids because they are think they are a different gender? It baffles me how any doctor is doing this. Isnt one of their mantras "Do no harm"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How would the parents know that it's 'just a phase'?

They could guess and would be right in majority of cases.

Research shows that gender dysmorphia in teens resolves itself without treatment in the vast majority of cases - i.e. its just a phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Where and when have there been doctors "performing mutilations of kids because they are think they are a different gender"?

This seems to be a figment of your imagination.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement