Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Exactly, And certainly shows that they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Look at what the green party have managed to achieve as a tiny minority party!. If anything the opposite is the case, the tail can wag the dog in Irish politics. The smaller party usually gets a much larger share of its policy into a coalition agreement than its vote would command

This thing about putting 100+ asylum seekers into villages with < 1000 people is absolutely bizarre, and probably the most broken government policy i have ever seen in my lifetime, anywhere in the Western World.

It's a lose lose all round. If they get jobs, there is nowhere to rent or live if they want to stay in that job. If they don't get jobs, then you have 100+ men loitering around the central hotel in the village all day. Even if their application for asylum is rejected, they are not going anywhere as we don't enforce deportation.

By definition, no vetting has been done as they are just going through the process. We have no idea if these men have criminal records in their home country, absolutely no idea. Their passports were likely destroyed. We don't even know their real names.

It is absolutely staggering. We need a new policy that faces down the NGO lobby, and at the very least says we will will pay to house them in a third country while their application process is ongoing. Just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yes but that's because FF and FG didn't have a problem doing business with the Greens (and indeed FF had done it successfully before). But if a party or two of the type envisaged by Strazdas emerged, the gap between them and all the other established parties would be bigger than that between any two of the established parties. So they would effectively become untouchables within the system, and only an exceptional set of circumstances would see them invited into a government arrangement.

But if such a new party emerged, then FF and FG would need to compete with that party. What you would see is FG especially would toughen their stance on migration to hold onto its voters. It has no need to do that right now. As would SF probably. That would bridge the gap and make the compromise more possible and the outcome would probably be a lot more sensible that our current policy. I'm hoping the rural independents play that role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is what has happened in Donegal, not a small town.

Our population has increased by 10%.

Yet we struggle to have decent infrastructure, accommodation to rent, jobs etc. Many of the immigrants have been placed in very rural locations, with little for them to do and less jobs available. Made no sense.

As a county, we rely a lot on tourism. Yet over 50% of our hotel rooms now house ukranians. Some local hoteliers or B&B owners are making a killing out of this, but it's not a system that's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm hoping the rural independents play that role.

Are you confident they will push hard for national-level changes in immigration policy if they are involved in negotiations on government formation? I'm thinking they will be more interest in securing a pound of flesh for their own constituencies...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭toucheswood

Further to this, it was detailed on the 9 o'clock news just now.

Not a single mention of the trend of repurposing them to refugee centres.

Any possibility of mentioning a very distinct parallel trend? Zero. That's bordering on disinformation and censorship.

Any chance of refusing more refugees, and instead of the vast money, taxpayers money, being pised away on that, it could be reverted to better funded nursing homes that might give a shred more decency to the elderly in the country? Don't be crazy.

Scandalous. In your face, outright scandal.

For all those increasingly uncomfortable ones unaffected by mass migration thus far, do yourself a favour and pop into a nursing home and get a taste of what's waiting for you. Grim. Don't forget, just as younger people and children have been thrown under the bus with housing that you might have escaped, get ready for similar competition for dwindling nursing homes.

The job facing any new political entity to undo this pyramid scheme is gigantic. But it's only going to get worse until reality is faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hard to see who would be okay with going into coalition with an openly right wing party. Sinn Fein would be an absolute no no, FG would be very unlikely.....perhaps FF at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

What exactly is wrong with an openly right wing party?

According to some on here, FG are one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Here's the thing, Roderic O'Gorman and the government are generally not aware of what accommodation is potentially available to house immigrants around rural Ireland. There's someone locally, most likely your local FF, FG, GP and other left wing councillors informing Dublin about who in the area has a property that is willing to house immigrants and take the twelve pieces of silver. There is collusion going on, and many of these local councillors will feign surprise when the inevitable busload turn into the small village. Be wary of the cute hoor(s) in your midst, many have a track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

You may well think that Strawbs, but I couldn't possibly comment😔

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Just looking and listening to media recently. It's like someone, somewhere flicked a switch and all the media (seemingly in perfect sync) started to pump out another batch of - 'Aren't all the refugees and IPAs just amazeballs after all' - type of reports/articles puff pieces

Have they not realised that people won't fall for it. The people didn't fall for it when they were being gaslit for 6 months in a row by every MSM outlet, and they won't fall for it now - Didn't Einstein have something to say about doing something over and over again and getting the same result

The poor ol Govt is in a heap - It's finally dawned on them that they have painted themselves into a corner (using the non-drying anti-climb paint) Their desperation is strong (a quick perusal of the politics forum and any other politically specific thread in CA's, would show you just how strong the desperation is)

There seems to be a 'But who else are you going to vote for' question being bandied about from various places - It's a tricky one alright - but there's time left as it's a fluid situation. It might be easier to ask the question 'Who are you not going to vote for', for a more definitive answer...if you get my drift

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I'm surprised there aren't more protests about a government implementing procedures that noone ever voted for, a government that doesn't represent the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

Just finished watching some videos clips of a public meeting from donegal earlier tonight where Immigration was brought up as an issue; you can see and feel the vibe of anger from that meeting.

https://twitter.com/PatriciaMAC10/status/1735431322514981012

https://twitter.com/PatriciaMAC10/status/1735450237244743943

https://twitter.com/PatriciaMAC10/status/1735456591783023061

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Well if there is any county who will do something about this BS it's donegal, i have been led to believe that there have been several secret meetings in the county previously before going public.

Well done donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

And here comes the great man again helping to solve the country's housing needs with a nice new modular housing firm.. I can smell those nice new contracts from here.... But but but it's all perfectly legal

Massive kick back from the people of Ballyshannon Last night. Ocean fm reporting even the accommodation provider has no lease signed off for the placement of the men.

Large petition of names saying enough is enough. Hopefully now the rest of the country facing the same disgusting situation will follow suit.

Ocean fm or Highland radio be well worth a listen this morning. Sorry I don't know how to send links.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This is Salthill, Galway, a mature residential area.

Ten days notice given

Up to 80 international protection applicants will be housed at the 20-room hotel on Threadneedle Road by Christmas. The owner has “extensive experience” in the provision of accommodation centres for migrants, according to the Department, the accommodation will be for “adult female international protection applicants”.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

The shinner td looked a worried man especially when that lady refused to be silenced.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think we are at a pivotal moment in all this. The people are fed up and the last straw is about to be put on the camels back.

Then again, we will have protestors painted as right wing racists to try to push it all through.

• Advertisement

I really don't think people don't care anymore. I for one always find it as a remark made when an answer cannot be given or to deflect from an issue. People don't care because they can know see through the total false bulls#@t being spouted by government and NGOs alike. People have had enough and rightly so.

Really shocking truth about the man from Somalia who had to hand in his passport in Sweden for badly beating a woman yet ended up in Ireland. How much of this is happening and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Martin Kenny/Sinn Fein singing off the exact same hymn sheet as the government. Told the crowd he would ask the government to send down a “Community Engagement Team”

Google tells me…

So they’re attitude adjusters. Feck right off! Sadly this is nowhere near over as the owner’s representative (local councillor) wouldn’t confirm or deny if they would sign off on 60 asylum seekers. There’s also a large bar/restaurant in ballyshannon that was sold last year and work is currently underway converting it into apartments.

Anyone thinking voting sinn fein is going to make a bit of difference to this mess and destruction is going to get a bad shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

There will be a discussion about last nights meeting just after 9am news. Click listen live at top of page

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Let's hope they didnt lose the jobs too close to Christmas.

The financial stress of getting over Christmas, the stress of being means tested to qualify for the dole and unless the rule changed they are not long enough unemployed to get double bubble.

I wonder will we see the media up interviewing them and ngos saying we need to do more for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Seemingly all we are told is we need to be afraid of them because they will ruin the country.

This is by the same people who's policies are destroying the country in a way I am not sure the far right could match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sure they say the same thing about Sinn Fein. It seems anyone and everyone will ruin the country unless they are FF and FG who have actually ruined the country numerous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It was actually attacking police, heres the background.

The detective said he had enquired from Yusuf’s father about his son’s travel documents. “His father said the travel documents were returned to Sweden and I made contact with my counterpart in Sweden and they are not aware of any having been returned to them,” he said.

Under cross-examination, the detective told Thomas Horan BL, for the respondent, that Yusuf had returned from Sweden to assist his father who was unable to work and was on disability allowance.

Another lad we are supporting on disability.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement