Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

There’s conspiracy theories and then there is simply bizarre stuff to suggest that Nienaber capping Kleyn was because he somehow saw all these pieces unfolding.

The latter theory holds zero credibility.

What this points to is a couple of things:

-Leinster are willing to make an almighty gamble for the sake of trying to win another European Cup

-The offers he’s receiving everywhere must reflect his injury record to some extent

-The lure of working with Nienaber is something he views as a big draw

-Leinster, rightly, believe James Ryan and Joe McCarthy will be fixtures in an Ireland squad going forward and that Ryan Baird’s future is in the back row.

I’m extremely surprised that the IRFU are prepared to sanction the move given his injury track record, but if he can stay healthy at the business end of the season it’s a phenomenal signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Sorry but bullshit. Any cop would tell this is def above zero credibility.

Nienebar was an ex irfu employee. He knows how the irfu deal with NIQs and how the system works intimately. He had direct access to Snyman as well.

Therefore, he made a decision with a clear secondary benefit that he was fully aware of when making the decision.

That’s not likely but unless you are the man himself there is no way to assign zero credibility.

If a politician did something similar there would be loads of people on tv talking about optics and perception of corruption.

I agree with the above poster though. Most people won’t understand why this is possibly shady.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

No, I’m sorry, this is ludicrous that you’re going down this route with it.

Nienaber (and Rassie of course) called up Kleyn because of Lood de Jager’s injury. He’d had a great season for Munster, and they weren’t exactly awash with other options (they would have had no idea what to expect from Snyman, and picked the incredibly average Marvin Orie too).

The suggestion that he foresaw picking Kleyn for SA in July 2023 would lead to RG Snyman joining Leinster in summer 2024 and that he gambled SA’s RWC prospects etc to bring that about is nothing short of tinfoil hat conspiracy theory nonsense.

Which part of my previous post is factually incorrect?

Virtually all of it.

Your theory is here that Jacques Nienaber proposed to Rassie in July 2023 that they select Jean Kleyn for the SA squad, because he had the incredible Machiavellian foresight to see the dominos line up that that would lead to Munster being unable to retain him, and in turn Nienaber (who would have had minimal views on Leinster’s policy or practices around incoming signings) would be in position to swoop in and sign the guy.

The very notion that he would have even been thinking about anything except what was best for SA is delusional, and does a disservice to him (and to Jean Kleyn arguably).

We don’t even know here that Munster were told they couldn’t retain Snyman by the IRFU (a fairly central limb of your “theory”). They may simply have decided they’ve been stung enough by spending a fortune on a guy who has barely ever been available, that they’re well stocked in the position with promising young players and they could better spend that money elsewhere potentially.

This is especially possible if the external funding for the signing is no longer available, given Munster’s less than stellar financial track record of late (the most recent set of IRFU accounts showed an increase in Munster’s debt to the IRFU of c. €4m which essentially crystallised historical operational losses there).

• Advertisement

That’s not true. I said its to some degree possible, which it is. If someone has clear motive and opportunity its always possible.

So, it is possible.

Sure, but is what you’re proposing remotely credible or likely?

Like what percentage probability would you assign to your scenario?

Its not very likely.

I think richie rich made a good point that this is so obscure a situation that no one will care.

However, if this was a more popular sport or the regular fan really understood it, then i think it would be a talking point and something to be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

All of the atoms in my body simultaneoulsy deciding to jump five feet to the right, and me to survive is also possible, however infitesimal.

It's also **** ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

They're not equally likely.

They are equally ridiculous.

I won't be replying to you again.

It’s not about the regular fan “understanding” it - it’s so obscure a situation because the theory you’re positing is simply not remotely credible.

People can’t be up in arms about something that all common sense and reason would tell them isn’t the case.

It’s unfortunate for Munster that Kleyn is now NIQ but they’ve been able to retain him, so it’s kind of irrelevant.

We don’t even know for sure if Munster could afford to or wanted to keep Snyman. He was available to move. it was going to be a gamble for any side to sign him with his track record, and Leinster are taking that gamble. It’s arguably the “flashiest” signing they’ve made since Rocky Elsom, but it could turn out to be a master stroke.

If they aren’t equally likely how could they be equally ridiculous?

Oh wait, you can say illogical things and storm off. Good for you, you won!

reply to dave obviously.

Is it credible he picked him solely for that reason? No.

Is it credible that it was a tight choice, and it was a factor? Pretty unlikely, but possible.

Is it credible that he knew that this would likely lead to snyman leaving Munster? Yes, very credible.

To be clear again, it just seems like bad optics from a very weird spot. I personally don’t believe it would form any factor in his decision but if i was the irfu, i’d just take that whole idea out of the ether.

No, that’s not how it works.

There are a multitude of credible reasons why the IRFU might have blocked this move by Leinster, principally his injury track record.

Your scenario is too far fetched to be a basis for how the IRFU would make a decision like this.

Well, yea there are multiple reasons. Agree to disagree on whether this is one.

Outside that, this is a great signing, imo.

This is just outstanding. First we finally beat La Rochelle, then Nienaber outs himself as an arch troll.

I absolutely love it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought he'd signed for Bath on 400k a year?

Can't say I'm enthusiastic about this move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The sale of pig heads will go through the roof down Thomond way.

aside from the troll value, I can’t see us getting value out of this signing, unless it’s pay to play and that’s not likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Twitter is good craic for a change.

I reckon Leinster have a good deal here. If its one year deal with the carrot of an extension based on availability then why not

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭moonshy2022

Munster twitter be going in to meltdown. I‘m just here for the laughs now.

https://x.com/bernardjackman/status/1735415825211723956

Jackman shared this on Twitter, the last few mins of the game from the weekend. Baird getting a lot of plaudits for his performance, can see a good example there just before the 78th min on the clock, gets up really quickly off the line and just gets Skelton's legs, doesn't take him down straight away but leaves him totally static behind the gainline. Then gets up and immediately involved in another tackle again behind the gainline. His lungs must have been burning at this point. JOB tackles Danty just the LaR side of the Leinster 22, and they're driven all the way back beyond their own 10 by this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Its very surprising but a good signing for Leinster, hopefully Baird gets a good run at 6.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,793 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Some news to wake up to.

I can't recall a player ever moving directly from Munster to Leinster.

Anyone any ideas if there was one?

Also very funny to see an "Ulster" fans knickers in a twist over this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Nick McCarthy, Jason Jenkins, are two recent examples. I'm sure there are others.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,793 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ah yes Jenkins of course.

And good shout on nick. I actually forgot he came back to Leinster before heading stateside

I've been in public since I heard the news but the wan-k I'm having when I get 30 seconds to myself will be something to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It is kind of funny...but then the reality sinks in! Its ridiculously bad business. As an Irish rugby supporter I don't like this move no matter which way you slice it.

I mean Munster fans should be sick...waste of space he took from their salary, injury table etc.

I just cant believe the IRFU have been suckered by yet another SA coach.

Its new to Shane Nolan I suppose but Cullen really should know better.

Nienaber is the best snake oil salesman in rugby. Hideous.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I honestly don't get why any Leinster fan would be against this.

This is the missing piece, as I said last night this signing will win you a Champions Cup. This is the sort of signing that will help you beat the likes of La Rochelle in knockout rugby.

Ryan, Snyman and McCarthy is a significantly better trio than Ryan, McCarthy and Moloney or Jenkins. It's a huge step up.

Jenkins was given like 5 minutes against La Rochelle at the weekend because he's not up to it. If Moloney were on the bench the story would have been the same. With Snyman on board you can make subs earlier for fresh legs, no matter which 2 of the 3 starts.

Advertisement