Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

The build up thread first time he plays against Munster 😍😍😍😍

Stephen Keogh, Brian O'Meara & Trevor Hogan all spring to mind as well.

Obviously Joey Carbery, Kieran Lewis, James Blaney, Felix Jones, Liam Toland, Mark McDermott, Andrew Conway, Collie O'Shea, Paddy Patterson, Rowan Osborne, Ben Murphy (loan - never played for Munster) and Jeremy Loughman have gone the other direction.

Guys like John Fogarty, Eoin Reddan, Mike Ross, Jordan Coghlan, Sean Cronin, Steve Crosbie, Danny Riordan, Ian Nagle, Ian Keatley and Tadhg Beirnehave played for both, both with someone else in between.

There are probably a few others I'm not thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

He ie never fit. Why sign a big money player who spend 99% of the time not available.

His reputation seems to have grown because he is not playing, he is not Eben Etzebeth etc. Money would be spent better on a player who would be available or just plough it into the youth system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Because all of that relies on him actually staying fit and his injury record is atrocious. I was mocking the idea of Bath spending 400k a year on him and it seems equally ridiculous for Leinster to sign him.

• Advertisement

This is it.

Ryan, McCarthy (on the form he showed Sunday in La Rochelle) and a healthy (massive caveat obviously) Snyman is probably the best lock trio in European rugby.

It's a gamble - but the net cost is probably not outrageous, given they were probably paying €250k a year to Jason Jenkins who has been ineffective at the highest levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

If anything (assuming it is true), I think this signing shows that Leinster still aren't quite ready to back McCarthy. He had four or five penalties against La Rochelle and for me anyways is still more of a liability than he is an asset.

I could see Moloney going to Connacht/Ulster or abroad seeing as if it's true, it's the final hammer in the nail for any aspirations he had of playing for Ireland.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

His fitness is a gamble, but it's a gamble worth taking. He played in 6 of SAs 7 World Cup games, so he is clearly capable of stringing games together.

Leinster's squad depth is likely appealing to him as you will be able to rotate him out of the squad more than most teams can.

Realistically you only need a handful of appearances out of him during a season, and if you win a Champions Cup nobody is going to give a feck what he was paid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Complete aside but on this:

given Munster’s less than stellar financial track record of late (the most recent set of IRFU accounts showed an increase in Munster’s debt to the IRFU of c. €4m which essentially crystallised historical operational losses there).

Wasn't the last set of accounts up to July 2022? I don't think Munster are unique in having a less than stellar financial track record during a global pandemic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But is he on "Big Money" though?

He's not joining until next season and I assume he'll have to pass a medical before actually completing the deal - If in 8/9 months time he still isn't back playing I doubt he'll actually join.

Given his known profile , he may have been a comparative bargain for a player of his potential impact.

Who knows how the deal is structured or the cost?

If Leinster are paying him 400/500k straight-up then it's a big risk , but if they are paying him a lot less than that, but with a bigger "match fee" to off-set the risk due to his profile then the deal looks a lot different in terms of value.

A fit and available Snyman is a huge plus for any side.

Munster were in financial trouble long before the pandemic, mostly due to average performances and fickle supporters.

Philip Browne does not expect the Munster Branch to be able to meet repayments on the €9 million they owe the IRFU.

The union’s annual general meeting reported an increase of almost €6 million in player and management costs arising “in large part” due to Munster’s malfunctioning professional wing, both administratively and on the field, in recent years.

"One of our provinces is experiencing financial difficulty and one of the main reasons for this is poor match results," said IRFU honorary treasurer Tom Grace.

Grim stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Munster have had historical financial trouble. LP's post was about it "of late". That's not unique to Munster because of a..... global pandemic. I hardly thought that'd be controversial.

The link you provided is from an article in 2016. All of 7 and a half years ago. Doesn't strike me as "of late".

As for the "fickle supporters" comment....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

To all who say Synman will be a waste or a bad signing because of his injury record.... can I have your crystal balls and the lotto numbers please?

There is a strange insistence among so many on here to just have pre outrage based on stuff you don't know will actually happen.

Jenkins barely played for Munster but we got him fit and got good game time out of him.

Why not Snyman??

I think this is a fantastic signing I hope he will stay fit.

As Ross Molonys biggest fan, I think we know what we're going to get out of him. A good honest player who lacks the top athleticism to thrive in knockout rugby.

Joe McCathy, James Ryan and RG Snyman would be some unit for knock outs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Normally I'd only speak for myself but from my friend group who are STHs, some of us just dislike everything about Erasmus, Nienaber, South African rugby, their current squad and don't want anything to do with them, regardless of how successful they've been.

Also. What is the deal with Munster breaking our players?

First Joey, then Patterson, now Snyman??

No, they published the 2023 Accounts at the end of November.

In those accounts it is noted the following:

"Loans to branches increased significantly due to the conversion of a part of Munster's operational debt into a long-term loan..."

Under the cash flow for the financial year ending 31/07/2023, you can see an advance to Munster Rugby of €4,192,252, and in the notes to the accounts, specifically Note 8, you can see that year over year under the Other Loans section, the amount outstanding from Munster Rugby increased from €6.56m at the end of FY22 to €10.7m at the end of FY23.

The reference to operational debt differentiates it from the historic debts Munster still owe the IRFU from the Thomond redevelopment, and point to Munster Rugby running operational deficits for at least 1 year.

Munster are the only branch with this type of structure or who have debts outstanding to the IRFU.

EDIT: Link to the accounts:

I like to think that Snyman before he leaves Munster is going to stand up in the changing room and sing to the tune of that Fall Out Boy song...

Thanks for the Memorknees

I think he likely is on relatively big money.

Not as much as he was on at Munster (especially under his first contract obviously), but still good money regardless. It seems there was a competitive market for him, and he was credibly linked with Bath and Stormers for example, and surely could have made big money in Japan again if he wanted to.

He might have taken a slight discount to play with Nienaber, stay in Ireland and to join a team who are perennial European contenders, but nothing dramatic IMO.

• Advertisement

• I think an awful lot is made out of nothing in relation to the Munster debt to the IRFU. While I do appreciate some of it is operational debt, the majority relates to the loan provided to redevelop Thomond Park, an asset the IRFU ultimately own. It would be an issue if the Munster Branch had gotten a loan and put it into a facility they would ultimately not own (RDS, Sportsground etc).

I'm normally fairly critical of the administrators involved in Munster Rugby for a multitude of reasons but they do seem to have gotten their house in order in recent times, 3 concerts in Thomond Park in July 2023 and another 3 announced for Thomond Park in 2024. 7 or 8 concerts in Musgrave Park in 2023 and similar announced for 2024. They have added/renewed deals with a lot of commercial partners over the last number of months. There was also talk at a Munster Branch meeting recently of naming rights for Musgrave Park been announced soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

If he can stay fit for Leinster, its a monstrous signing. Also fantastic for the likes of McCarthy to play and train alongside a WC winner.

• McCarthy might make the trip down the M7 and train with JK ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

Nonsense about McCarthy, last 2 times we played La Rochelle their Maul tore us to pieces and it made us incapable of going up for the lineout as we had zero confidence about defending it. McCarthy is our best Maul defender and basically the biggest factor in stopping that. The exact profile we were missing out on for Molony who is undersized for top level rugby.

You already had a McCarthy and sent him back!! Stop being greedy

There is nothing to support this.

Claiming Joe McCarthy's performance on Sunday shows he's "more of a liability than he is an asset" is an absurd take when you consider he played 75 mins as a tight head lock opposite Will Skelton, in an Atlantic storm, away from home in a hostile stadium, in a massive away win for Leinster.

It was about as promising a performance from a young Irish lock as I can remember. He's still just 22 years old. He plays with an edge, and tbh Leinster need that edge. Some penalty concessions are the price you pay for that, and I believe he'll cut out the sillier ones over time.

• His mam is from Tipp and dad is from Cork, we can call it a homecoming

Of the games he could have played since the last World Cup how many has he been available for club or country? TO me its a waste of money which could be spent better

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I had a feeling that Leinster would sign RG Snyman. He was obviously going to be an expensive signing but I knew that his market value wasn't going to be at its highest meaning Leinster could probably get him at a a slightly discounted rate for a year while he rehabilitates his market value and leaves Leinster after one healthy season for huge money in France or Japan.

Leinster definitely aren't done in the market. The only true weakness in the Leinster team now is the tighthead depth behind Furlong with Ala'alatoa leaving for Clermont. If they can find an upgrade over Ala'alatoa, then this Leinster team (when fully fit) is going to be ridiculously dangerous.

• Advertisement

You all pedalled the same line about Conway and Luke (and even Sexton haha). They had family from Cork and Limerick and whatever other counties are down there (is Waterford even a real place like??)

To me all it says is how desperate people are to LEAVE Munster ;)

Advertisement