Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Worked as an apprentice in Limerick back 30 years ago and played hurling and football with the local club, one thing is Limerick people love sport and hurling is number one, back then JP was backing hurling and lots of good causes, he has done a lot for scholarship, cancer, etc but you don’t she him looking for PR for it. My local club started ladies football in 2017 with underage girls and this year our first adult team took the field, the money got in 2018 was put into the girls with buses for matches etc and has mushroomed to where we are today, now brothers and sisters go together to the pitch to train and play and has a huge lift to the club and increased the interest so much, fair play to JP for investment into small gaa clubs and community. Any of the other rich fella’s what are they putting money into, is Bono putting money into music industry in every county in the whole of Ireland.

Do you think this was done just for PR stunt, a million euros per county at grass roots and what will that bring to clubs in Waterford outside the likes of ballygunner. What about the junior clubs they will benefit from this and all gaa clubs the length of Ireland need it at grass roots. You won’t see pictures of him going around handing out the money in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I think you’re being harsh there, he has already achieved that by what he has done for limerick hurling so didn’t need to spend another €32 million on top!

I worked in limerick for 12 years at one stage so I’d know plenty of people there, some of them heavily involved in fundraising for various different things. One things for certain, the same as stories other people have told here today, JP has never been found wanting when it comes to donating to charities and that goes back a long way, well before he was the billionaire he is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Wed morning drove up to the farm gate/entrance; as usual the cat came out to greet me and we conversed as I changed into the wellingtons and work clothes. Suddenly he started a loud, harsh call I looked at him to see him spreadeagled with stomach almost on the ground and scrabbling at the grass with his front paws; said to myself he must have a colic/bad stomach pain. I called to him 4/5 times and he answered with this roar. I then opened the driver's door and in the process discovered half his tail was trapped in the door. He fled of course.

This morning as I approached the gate he trotted out to give his morning salutation. But stopped 5 yards inside the gate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Advertisement

Fair play to Jp mc manus. I'm delighted he stipulated it goes to club level as our county board wouldn't know what to do with it. Probably bury it in the drama that is our new county ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Land is never auctioned aiound here so no experience but have bought property online auction .When do you go hard bidding like is it harsdly from the token open bids ,it is hard to follow your logic .Normally it is the highest bidder who wins not the bidder who bids the hardest ,If i was near my limit I would double my bid and if followed would go over my limit double again swiftly and that my true limit .Well that wouldbe my plan anyway but every thing goes out the window in these situations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

I seem to be alone in my sentiments about JP. When you are the only one with a particular opinion, sometimes you have to look at your viewpoint and wonder are you right? I'm still torn, and do realise the good it will do. Our club here has all 3 codes and it looks like we will get near €30,000 out of this. It will do a lot of good.

I actually feel a little like the child that is at home looking after parents day to day about this. The sibling who is away comes in once every few months, brings a big present or brings the parents out for dinner, makes a big deal of the whole thing and it is wonderful that the parents get a kick from it. But its the one who is local at home, like my sister, living just up the road who puts 15 hrs a week into my parents that never gets the paudits. Like the ordinary tax payer, or GAA member who has been selling €50 worth of lotto tickets a week, week in week out for twenty years.

Maybe I am wrong and way too cynical about it, and I am grateful to JP McManus for what my own children will get from this in our local club, but like I say I am torn by it. Feel free to tear my views apart, I won't take offence, and won't even be commenting on this again, andlike I said in my first line, I could be wrong. I was before and I will be again.

Anyrhing that benefits the kid on the ground is good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I am Spartacus!

You’re not alone just because you don’t think a multi-millionaire is a saint for giving away what’s loose change to him to sports clubs.

He might have worked hard (any harder than lots of people on here?) but does anybody really think that’s all you need to do to become that rich?

I think we should move on now and be grateful he’s giving the money. But remember what Jesus or some other bible lad said, “It’d be easier for a camel to get thru the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven”

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

“It’d be easier for a camel to get thru the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven”

A bit rich from a religion that would keep the widow's mite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Utter bullsh1t, you obviously know nothing about the man or his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Religion is finished now, people are too well educated to believe that rubbish,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Is they’re anything to be said for another mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

New tractor sorted. 😀

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It's replaced with other shite now like green stuff, or immigrants are bad or LGBTQ+(xyz-&123)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Hopefully most of us are too well educated to believe that shite stuff too,

I'm an atheist ......thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Packrat

That's harsh, he has a point, - I disagree with it on this occasion but it's a valid opinion.

@Grueller , most of these income bracket individuals are not paying their proper share of taxes here, - yes its annoying and unfair to the rest of us but that's the system that has been created and they just use it. I can't think of another one who gives back to communities here the way JP does.

I know quite a few people who know him personally quite well from before and since the wealth. I've only met him once. The general consensus seems to be that you've no better friend in a corner but that if you try to wrong him or catch him n any way he's merciless.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭White Clover

Better get that cheque crossed before you go lodging it Patsy.

Get what you’re saying about your sister, but look at it this way you’re sister is the local club doing the ground work and the visitors are the county board looking for the big day, with the way JP is giving the money he is looking to make your sisters work a little bit easier and by passing the visitor. In my life time of the gaa the club always struggles to keep going and it’s the sisters that do the work day in day out, this week we buried the president of the club who I played football with as a 16 year and he was 38 at the time he was heart and soul of everything and the amount of people who had great times with this man in the club and his two sons carry it on to today, his grandson has made the county minor panel this year and he played for the county and Leinster himself, sport makes great communities, friends and builds life. JP has done a good deed for sport here and has done a lot for charity,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is two was to look at this.

@Grueller I do not think its a populist decision by him. He has an inate love of two sports Gaa and horse racing. He has been a Limerick hurling supporter for decades. He is extremely wealthy a multi billionaire probably.

However I disagree with the way some think he is special because of his charitable contributions. It why when people give out about Micheal O'Leary I always remind them he is one of the few really wealthy people that pays his taxes in Ireland.

On the plus side you never hear JP pontificating like Bono nor dose he disrespect the ordinary man like some of the rest of the user wealthy and TBF his charitable contributions are mostly to the less well off.

I know people complain about government waste, however its the nature of the beast. In Ireland we are just bad at administration and have too many administrators.

Many have a dislike of the GAA but it's an amateur organisation. Many clubs will be grateful especially many small rural clubs where the 10-15k they get will allow them to carry out a bit of development.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ya'd think that, but seems not. Or it seems that way. Maybe it's the empty vessels, most noise story but it sure does get annoying being preached to by what seem to be numpties - educated or not.

Petticoat rule in that household, looks Sue Ann and Noreen control the purse strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

JP doesn't have a company in which the general population purchases products/services. Adare would be out of the reach of many thus cant get people saying its PR in any event 32 million is one hell of a bill for advertising.

One of Zelensky's party - is this a premonition of how they'll behave if the EU accepts them.

Moment Ukrainian politician lets off three GRENADES during meeting https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12868355/Terrifying-moment-Ukrainian-politician-lets-three-GRENADES-council-meeting-seriously-wounding-26-people.html?ito=native_share_article-nativemenubutton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Well isn't this just a typically irish conversation/argument. A wealthy man has decided to donate some of his wealth (32 million not 32 euro) and people are giving out about it. So what if JP is a tax exile that's his business choice. With the amount of people that he and his family employ worldwide. He could keep all his money in Switzerland or wherever and not spend a penny on anything. Then ye will complain. Let's start up a protest and make him take back his money. We don't want it solely because he is not a tax resident in out country. Tell him to shove his 32 million up his Swiss bank account

No don't do that, the FAI need it more than the GAA.

The FAI? Who are in existence longer than the GAA yet haven't a pot to piss in because like the xxxxxxxx they are they pissed it up against the wall.

Great call... give them more shur...

Disband them more like.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I’d say he was joking about giving it to the FAI. I think it should be given to poor aul John Delaney.

• Advertisement

Ok. Fair enough. I took the bait hook line and sinker then. :-) Good to know someone still has a sense of humour.

Advertisement