Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

Yeah, that was my understanding too, well at least certainly on his initial deal. I've no idea if the subsequent ones were, or if the outside financiers were prepared to underwrite another contract for him given how little gametime they've seen from him.

I wasn't conflating the RG Snyman salary with the operational debts Munster have accrued in recent years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The fact remains that in the most recent financial year, Munster's indebtedness to the IRFU increased by almost 40%.

...which included restructuring to double re-payments and include 50% of multi-year ticket deals. I think the 10 year tickets are coming up for renewal again in 2-3 years time?

That'll very likely be a material dent.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

What does yoy mean? Presumably thats total debt left vs annual payments.

If so id think 40 mil down to 4 mil and up to 10 over the pandemics not the worst right?

They doubled the repayment in the sense that the notional amount increased from €100k to €200k, but you're not taking into account that the actual gross debt amount materially increased too (+38%).

As I've said, those other concessions were probably IRFU requirements to facilitate another refinancing or effective bailout of Munster Rugby.

My initial point, which you took exception to, remains. It is factual to say Munster have continued to be in financial difficulties as recently as the most recent financial year.

Yoy = year-on-year.

We've increased out debt, but also increased our re-payments. The 50% from multi-year tickets will make a fairly significant dent, you'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Surely most sporting entities are in financial difficulties on account of having to recover from covid?

This was exactly my point at the outset of the origin of this conversation. It's nothing unique to Munster.

Ibwas asking what year on year means. Essentially weve increased total debt from 4 to 10 million and payments have increased in lign with this right?

I'm not ignoring it. I'm pointing out it's all in the context of changed re-payments terms, which will very likely make a material dent on it, whatever way you slice it.

I dunno where you're getting €40m from.

The initial loan was €11.5m for the Thomond redevelopment, noted in the 2007/08 accounts.

By 2016 this amount was down to c. €9.6m, with the following schedule at that time of expected repayments:

30 April 2016 €200,000

30 April 2017 €4,200,000

30 April 2018 - 30 April 2026 (per annum) €500,000

30 April 2027 €761,778,

with the expectation it would be repaid in full by 2027.

Munster were unable to meet the €4.2m payment in April 2017, and restructured their debts with the IRFU at that time, effectively agreeing to pay €100k pa.

In 2022, they doubled that amount to €200k pa, and also undertook that 50% of multi-year tickets and box revenue etc would go towards the repayment.

However, in 2023, they also increased their indebtedness by c. €4.1m again, taking it almost back up to the original levels. This advance did not relate to the Thomond debt. It is unclear what specifically it relates to, but it's noted it's "operational".

I don't think it can be attributed to the pandemic, because none of the other provinces appear to have a similar structure, or indeed have any outstanding indebtedness to the IRFU.

Ulster Rugby also received a historic loan for the Ravenhill redevelopment and repaid it ahead of schedule.

• Advertisement

I don't think there is enough evidence to support this.

Why didn't any of the other branches require a similar facility?

It is absolutely unique to Munster in an Irish rugby context.

40m was total redevelopment cost hadnt realised the loan was 11.5m

All very interesting. Wheres this from an irfu end of year report or something?

The increase in the indebtedness is very likely with the schedule of the 50% for multi-year tickets in mind. That's going to take a material chunk out of it whatever way you slice it.

Add in the increased revenue streams like concerts and the SA XV and Crusaders games, and the doubling of the p.a. amount.

It's not though - you seem to be trying to suggest this was some sort of commercial deal Munster did with the IRFU and there's nothing to see here, with a valid quid pro quo.

That's not the case. It is noteworthy how it's noted in the accounts that:

"The arrangement is to be reviewed on a biennial basis and the Union reserves the right to revert to the strict terms of the Loan Agreement following each review in its absolute discretion and/or in the event of any failure by the Munster Branch IRFU to meet the newly agreed arrangements."

That's not the tone or language over a commercial agreement between two parties, that's the language of an aggrieved creditor who've essentially been burned by their other party in the past.

My central argument here was that Munster Rugby clearly continue to be in some degree of financial difficulties. Do you accept the truth of that statement?

If they had their house in order, they shouldn't have needed what is effectively another bailout here, and would have been in position to retain the multi-year ticket revenue themselves, and to utilise the proceeds from the concerts etc themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Where did the 4.2 million overspend in one year go though? Did some strategic move have an initial outlay that will see quick returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Anyone curious as to how terms like "MOLFs" come into existence.

Scouring the fine print of annual accounts, looking for tone and meaning in clauses related to debt restructuring...

Yeah, that'll probably do it.

It's not though

It very clear is tho. Would the IRFU have sanctioned the €4m without the changed payment terms? It's waaaay less likely. So it clearly is in the context of the changed payment terms, by defintion.

An alternative reading is that Munster now have their house in order in other areas, with additional revenue streams, and can now use that revenue to pay off the debt...

• Advertisement

Are Munster going to pay back the extra 4 million plus the rest quicker than before? Or why take out an extra 4m+ additional loan right now, what has changed operationally?

I don't think it's clear? It would be interesting to note if any was on capital investment tho. But I'm fairly sure the 50% multi-year tickets will be paid in 2-3 years? We obviously don't have detail on the multi-year corporate facilities.

But it's pretty reasonable to assume the scheduling is all related.

Are you referring just to the repayment side of it, but what about where the hole in the finances is coming from? Why do Munster need an additional 4.2 million right now? Seems like a huge amount of money, is it for investing in facilities or is it to pay sunk costs with regards to hosting concerts etc, having an initial outlay but will quickly return a profit?

The IRFU sanctioned it because they effectively had no choice - the changed payment terms are still way below market levels.

I've asked before, and I'll ask again - do you accept the point that all evidence would suggest Munster appear to still be in considerably more financial difficulty than the other provinces?

I don't think the accounts go into that level of detail. I can't imagine they'd be persisting with further concerts next year if those in Thomond and Musgrave had cost them money tho; if anything, that's an additional revenue stream.

This post has some good detail:

I think an awful lot is made out of nothing in relation to the Munster debt to the IRFU. While I do appreciate some of it is operational debt, the majority relates to the loan provided to redevelop Thomond Park, an asset the IRFU ultimately own. It would be an issue if the Munster Branch had gotten a loan and put it into a facility they would ultimately not own (RDS, Sportsground etc).

I'm normally fairly critical of the administrators involved in Munster Rugby for a multitude of reasons but they do seem to have gotten their house in order in recent times, 3 concerts in Thomond Park in July 2023 and another 3 announced for Thomond Park in 2024. 7 or 8 concerts in Musgrave Park in 2023 and similar announced for 2024. They have added/renewed deals with a lot of commercial partners over the last number of months. There was also talk at a Munster Branch meeting recently of naming rights for Musgrave Park been announced soon.

Do Munster still sell the 10 year tickets in one felled swoop? I know they did the first tranche in 2008, but can't see anything beyond that.

It would appear as though they are almost always 10-year tickets available for sale, so I don't necessarily know if there is going to be a big block bulk of income coming anytime soon from a particularly large chunk of them selling.

If you said to me, Munster need 4 million to fund hosting 20 or 30 events across 2023 and 2024, but by the end of that period they will recoup that amount plus a profit on top I would understand the need for a loan, but "operational costs" is so vague, it could be anything.

Nah, I'm skeptical that's what it relates to. I would think that type of expenditure would be flagged as being relatively exceptional in nature.

In an accounting context, Operational Costs / Expenses typically refers to the expenses related to the everyday running of the business. So the implication here is that Munster are not covering their costs on an annual basis in at least one year (possibly more, probably more actually given the quantum here).

The IRFU sanctioned it because they effectively had no choice - the changed payment terms are still way below market levels.

Which is exactly what you would expect.

I've asked before, and I'll ask again - do you accept the point that all evidence would suggest Munster appear to still be in considerably more financial difficulty than the other provinces?

Honestly, I've no idea; I don't really have the inclination to pore thru the accounts the accounts. And I'm not even sure that level of detail exists in the accounts.

We don't know what the €4m was for. We do know that Munster have improved their revenue streams in recent times.

Including concerts and marquee fixtures against touring teams and top club teams. They've been written off in the past on here, but they've proved to be extremely popular.

The other point worth mentioning is that it's debt on an asset worth multiples more than the debt itself.

• Advertisement

Year over year from 2022 to 2023 to incur a loss of 4.2 million is staggering, are the wages and cost of facilities that high? If so, there has to be a reduction somewhere, or they'll never break even.

Advertisement