Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,041 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

their drinks product stock will ultimately cost them more than their non-collecting competitors

Their stock ultimately costs more anyway, last time I checked as the customer pays extra for the convenience factor. From Feb 1st there will be 15/25c added to the recyclable products at both the corner shop and the supermarket so if anything the % increase in the small shop will be lower

Fair points, I can see brewery's scrapping their canned beers next year because of this. Small wins and all that

The one minute is a generous time given to how long it would take to pick up a bag of empty cans and place them in the back of the delivery van... Can you explain where the significant cost comes from exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭gipi

We've already got that sorted.....councils took the public bins away 😄 (only being slightly facetious!)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The one minute is a generous time given to how long it would take to pick up a bag of empty cans and place them in the back of the delivery van... Can you explain where the significant cost comes from exactly?

The van somehow scans, sorts, processes payment and disposes of them?

Does he/she drive back with the paper receipt?

The van somehow scans, sorts, processes payment and disposes of them?

Not sure what you think a van is... In my scenario the van, that is to say a goods transport vehicle, transports the goods back to the shop for sorting. The delivery driver counts the number of in-scope products before placing the empty containers in the van. The van doesn't scan, sort, process payments or dispose of anything because it is a van

In any case, I ask again, where does the significant cost come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

The most crazy thing about all this for me is that as far as I can see Re-turn is a private company, so if all the return machines break down immediately they get to pocket all the deposit money, absolutely no incentive from them to fix the machines!

Also is it clear who has actual control of increasing this levy? Is it going to go up every couple of years?

• Advertisement

The most crazy thing about all this for me is that as far as I can see Re-turn is a private company, so if all the return machines break down immediately they get to pocket all the deposit money, absolutely no incentive from them to fix the machines!

I think you are getting confused, re-turn are a not for profit government controlled entity

Also is it clear who has actual control of increasing this levy? Is it going to go up every couple of years?

Yes, it's very clear to anybody who takes the time to watch, read or listen to the news. Since you clearly didn't, it's the government of the day that has the control over the levy price. The current plan is that it will stay at 15c/25c and not go up on an annual basis

The most crazy thing for me is the amount of misinformation being spread about a deposit return scheme

The delivery drivers counts the bottles and cans, why are we bothering with these smart machines that have multiple layers of identification so? 😂

How does he know which bottles and cans gets attributed to the 100s of deliveries he made that week?

Who processes them? How does the customer get credited.

You think this scheme is going to be a collective effort between grocery store and collection agents.

It isn't. The automatic installed machine is the end point for grocer when it comes to the trash aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There will be a maintenance contract to keep the machines in working order.

Extremely unlikely that all the machines will break down immediately.

It's not a levy, it's a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They are a private company, but they are a CLG - a Company Limited by Guarantee, not an LTD or PLC. That means they don't have any shareholders to pay dividends to. So any profits can't end up in anyone's pockets - they would stay within the company to be used to run the scheme.

Also, it should be noted that Re-turn don't supply or maintain the machines themselves at all. That's done by the six approved RVM suppliers. You can see them listed on this page https://re-turn.ie/retailer/ under the section "Reverse Vending Machine (RVM) Suppliers". Each of them will have maintenance agreements with the retail outlets.

The Minister for the Environment, Climate and Communications is the one with the authority to increase or decrease the deposit amounts,for the following reasons.

17 (3) The Minister may set, and adjust, the deposit amount or amounts after consultation with an approved body, where it appears that –

(a) the cost is insufficient to incentivise consumers to return in-scope bottles and in-scope containers to the scheme, or

(b) the revenues returned to the approved body from the scheme are exceeding or are insufficient to cover operational costs.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/599/made/en/print

I'm no expert but my assumptions would be

The delivery drivers counts the bottles and cans, why are we bothering with these smart machines that have multiple layers of identification so? 

Not sure there are machines small enough to fit on a delivery van

How does he know which bottles and cans gets attributed to the 100s of deliveries he made that week?

He could do something very technical like write it down. House number 12 gave back €10 worth of containers, house number 33 gave back €5 worth etc etc

Who processes them? How does the customer get credited.

The shop, a voucher towards the next online delivery

You think this scheme is going to be a collective effort between grocery store and collection agents.

That's what it is, yes?

It isn't. The automatic installed machine is the end point for grocer when it comes to the trash aspect.

For those shopping and returning in store, yes... Is there a point to this one?

Why so many ridiculous questions?

You still haven't answered my question of where does the significant cost come from? Or are you too afraid to answer my question?

• Advertisement

You would think it should be a government not for profit but its not, from their website:

"DRSI CLG, trading as Re-turn, is a new company limited by guarantee and was established by beverage producers and retailers in order to fulfil their obligations under the Separate Collection (Deposit Return Scheme) Regulations 2021."

Not for profit also doesn't mean you cant pay your staff 100k a year...

You still haven't answered my question of where does the significant cost come from?

Because I'm hoping you will discover that yourself.

I'll give you a hint, mobile trash collection, processing and sorting will come at a cost.

It is why the retailers that allow these machines in their stores want absolutely nothing to do with any of it.

Think of these more like an ATM that is on the premises.

He could do something very technical like write it down. House number 12 gave back €10 worth of containers, house number 33 gave back €5 worth etc etc

How would the delivery driver know, does it he write the address on each can and bottle? 😂

Does he bring back the ones that were rejected?

I don't think or least hope you are being serious at this stage.

Considering the greens are harping on about how this was all their great idea yeah I thought it was a govt. initiative. Presumably if we see a 100% return rate on these containers the company will be effectively operating at a loss. Ironically it's hard not to justify a 100k a year salary if your figures are that good

I suppose all this begs the question why cant all this be managed through my recycling bin and the bin guys give me a credit back on the bin charge?

Just give me a 4th bin they collect with recycling just for the re-turn stuff, it has a bar code on it and items get auto counted when they put in the truck - but that would make too much sense and not make life harder for average people 🙄

I'll give you a hint, mobile trash collection, processing and sorting will come at a cost.

You mentioned significant cost though... Where's the significant cost in loading a box/bag of empties onto a van?

How would the delivery driver know? 😂

He could do something technical like count them

Why all the dumb questions?

You mentioned significant cost though... Where's the significant cost in loading a box/bag of empties onto a van?

Because it isn't just that is it?

Why all the dumb questions?

If you find the questions dumb it's because of the level of your suggestions require it.

You are being intentionally obtuse and have been throughout, so much like this scheme you are little more than a time sink, so we will leave it there.

Interesting concept, I'd imagine that the technology behind it hasn't been created yet. You'd also have the security issue of having a bin outside your front door with a few € worth of recyclables in it. Also wouldn't suit the person who buys a can of coke while out in town unless you ran it alongside the RVM's

Because it isn't just that is it?

It pretty much is just that, actually... I'd ask you what else is there is but you'll probably take another 5-6 waffle comments of stupid questions to come to a half-baked answer

I think my explanation of how a scheme could work is far from "obtuse" in fairness and idiotic questions being asked because of my level of suggestions says more about you than me.

Had a good laugh with you and hope I entertained the masses. Peace out

The technology definitely exists. It would need RFID instead of a barcode, as RFID would be more suited to very quickly scanning a big jumble of containers tumbling into a truck. The issue there is that barcodes can just be printed as part of the regular product label printing process, but RFID tags are more complicated (and expensive) to implement. And yes, it would have to be in conjunction with RVMs in order to facilitate out-of-home consumption and various other cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭bren2001

In your opinion.

Inside or outside, it doesn't really matter. I will be throwing mine in weekly so it makes zero difference to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭bren2001

Unfortunately, the scheme simply cannot be designed to suit 100% of the population. There will always be outliers. You happen to be one.

The 2L bottle will be 25c more expensive for you. Its either pay that or find a way to get to an RVM. The reduction in your use of plastic bottles for water is better for the environment so the scheme is having its effect there.

It would definitely work with RFID tags, which aren't overly expensive, a fraction of a cent each in the grand scheme of things. The labour involved in putting them on and taking them off or integrating them in the product and then removing them I suspect is the main factors. Assuming the plastic and aluminium will be melted down to be recycled you'd need to make sure the tags are off before that stage to avoid cross contamination with the silicon chip. All do-able, no doubt but it doesn't sound as simple as the proposed scheme

There was a story a few years ago that you could put RFID tags on every product in a shop, fill the trolley, and the trolley gets scanned at the till without having to take anything out of the trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭SteM

I have seen the machines inside and outside at different supermarkets in Germany.

Inside is often the only option available to urban supermarkets because they don't own any outside space at the front. Obviously they can't place them on the streets because the street is public space owned by the local authority.

Not sure about Germany, but certainly in Ireland (and you see it in other countries too), plenty of cafes, restaurants and pubs have seating out on the pubic footpath (or in some cases, even the road). I'm sure there's ways to get permission from the local authority.

It is a Government initiative. The legislation setting it all up specifically required the beverage producers to collectively come together and set up an entity to manage the scheme. They were legally bound to create the company, on instruction from the Government. The general parameters for the scheme and indeed the company are all in the legislation, but the finer details of the scheme were for the company to determine.

There won't ever be a 100% return rate, but even if there was, Re-turn would still be ok, because their main source of income is the registration fees retailers have to pay them to be part of the scheme in the first place, and fees Producers have to pay them for putting the containers on the market. Plus they get to sell all the material they collect. I know we've discussed the fact that they'll keep unclaimed deposits, but that's only going to be a very small fraction of their revenue.

I mentioned it before, but here's a recap of how the scheme (i.e. Re-turn themselves) is funded:

(3) (a) The costs of operating a scheme shall be recouped from –

(i) registration fees set by an approved body,

(ii) producer fees set by an approved body on the basis of quantity and material type placed on the market,

(iii) unredeemed deposits as provided for in these Regulations,

(iv) revenue derived from the sale of returned in-scope bottles and containers,

(v) any other income source created by an approved body.

As for a 100k salary, you can be sure that the CEO is earning a lot more than that. He left a job as MD of DHL to run this scheme, and someone with a lot of experience has to run it. Employees need to be paid, and the market sets the rates for all levels. I don't see the corporate governance side of this as an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My local ALDI has a machine added right next to their front door, if you were to hire a team of the worlds best consultants and ask them to find the worst possible place that will impact access to the store and congestion this is the place they would choose 😁. The machine has the capacity of less than a wooden garden shed, completely impractical given the number of customers the store gets each day and will require multiple emptying.

Unfortunately, the scheme simply cannot be designed to suit 100% of the population. There will always be outliers. You happen to be one.

The current scheme works and suits the majority of the population.

Primarily because it is simple and convenient, the polar opposite of this one.

• Advertisement

It's common in Germany and all over the world to have outside dining, sometimes on the street/footpath.

On street/footpath restaurant seating areas became more popular here during COVID.

They all pay an annual licence to the local authority if placed on public property.

They are generally seen as an enhancement to the public domain but personally I have my doubts about some of them.

I'd be interested to see what the reaction would be if a local authority received an application to place an RVM on the footpath or street.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement