Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile massage therapist

• 04-01-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

So I am going in for training as a massage therapist job tomorrow for a mobile massage company. I was looking for something for some extra income and came across this and it would suit with the hours etc. I have no prior experience but have always been interested, and this job offers free training. Now something seems a bit off about the whole thing, and though i know its not any kind of dodgy massage business, I'm not sure why they want someone unqualified and are willing to give free training, when professional training costs so much. And I know it would involve calling out to randomers places which can be very risky, but i have had no luck whatsoever getting any work lately.
    So I'm just wondering does anyone have any experience of this type of business and how did it work out for them?And is it more risky than its worth?

Sorry this thread would be more suited to the work&jobs forum rather than work problems, didn't realise I posted it to this, so if it could be moved thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

You're right to be cautious , I think you need to find out more how this service operates.
    For example , would you be expected to visit unknown male customers alone ? If the answer is yes then I suggest you walk away ( I'm assuming you are female OP ? ).

I know there is a tendency to snigger at mention of the word massage given its widespread use as a cover for the sex industry but legitimate massage therapists also operate but running a mobile service is a new one on me.
    You need to be satisfied as to what procedures exist to maintain your Personal Safety.

Don't be afraid to trust your instinct on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Our company and some others around bring in a massage therapist for the day few times a year

Bit of a gimmick, morale for the staff. The massage therapists sets up somewhere, usually the boardroom and staff just book a slot for themselves

So mobile service is legit, companies use it
    Well large companies in office blocks

When I think mobile service I think of going to workplaces or sports clubs

Home visits are completely different so be wary

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭newuser30

Yea am female and the whole random people ringing up and booking you to go out to their place would be the main thing that I'm hesitant about, but there seems to be a good few qualified therapists working for them. And while they emphasise the non sexual nature of all treatments, nothing really protects you from the types of clients you might encounter. So it's confusing and I'm really not sure whether to bother going now, was just wondering who else might of had experience of this type of job. Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1 creativevision

Hey there,

Firstly, kudos to you for diving into the world of massage therapy! I'm a 26-year-old therapist myself and have worked both in a spa setting via Fresha (check out their site at fresha.co.uk for some insights) and as a mobile therapist. Each experience has its perks, and I can definitely share some insights.

Starting with a company that offers free training does sound unusual, but it's not unheard of. The massage industry can be quite diverse in how it approaches training and employment. However, you're right to be cautious. Professional training in massage therapy can be quite expensive, and it's a significant investment in your career. So, companies offering free training might have different motives or perhaps lower standards.

Working in a spa with Fresha was a fantastic experience for me. It provided a structured environment and regular clientele. The standards were high, and there was a strong emphasis on professional development. On the other hand, working with The Massage Rooms (that's the mobile company I worked with) has been equally rewarding but in a different way. It offers flexibility and variety, plus they're very particular about who they bring on board. Both companies are reputable and have proper procedures in place, which is crucial in this industry.

Regarding mobile massage therapy, it's true that visiting clients at their homes carries certain risks. It's essential to work with a company that takes safety seriously. The Massage Rooms (with www.themassagerooms.com), for example, has a robust system for vetting clients and ensuring therapist safety. They also handle all the booking and payment processes, which means there's no cash-in-hand work – a big red flag in this industry. Another big red flag is companies that show pictures of the therapists in alluring poses etc, avoid at all costs.

My advice? Go for established companies with a good track record. Avoid those offering cash-in-hand work, as it's often a sign of a lack of professionalism and security. And trust your instincts – if something feels off about a job offer, it's worth doing a bit more digging. The safety and professionalism of your workplace are paramount.

Wishing you the best of luck in your training and career! It's a rewarding field with plenty to offer. Just be sure to stay safe and choose your employers wisely. 🙌💆‍♀️🍀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

11 years late 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Closer to 12 years late :)

Give em a break, was their first post..

Dodgy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Advertisement