Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

They seem to be going well over asking for sure. We just started a few weeks ago looking at apartments. We got to the point of having to look too far out for houses in our price range, decided an apartment closer in (Co. Dublin would be a better option). We werent really in a rush but you can see every month the price is going up by as much as we are saving, so better off just getting on the property ladder at this point before the we are well and truly priced out of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Eims5769

I'm looking in Dublin and everything is going above asking. I do think agents are pricing low to get a bidding war going though, so it's not necessarily indicative of increasing prices overall. But definitely bidding feels quite hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I was looking at apartments too as I'm single. A house in Dublin was, whilst not entirely beyond me, was at the very limit of my budget. I went sale agreed on an apartment, but pulled out after my solicitor found that the management company had major financial issues. I eventually bought a 3-bedroom house in a town in Wexford. Better to have something rather than to hope for a future that may never come.

I think you're right to buy something now whilst you have the chance. Saving is only good in the short term as fiat money just loses too much value. Once you're on the "property ladder", you can at least have a shot of trading up in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Honestly, I follow the trading mantra, time in the market is worth more than timing the market.

I work with a guy who bought a house in 2006 and saw it drop in value by 30%. Felt awful at the time, but he didn't need to move and had enough space to raise his two children.

Now in 2024 most of it's paid off, and if he wanted to sell, counting interest it's cost him a lot less than renting for the past 20 odd years. A small price to pay for a lifetime of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

My mode of operation was to pay the €5 to get a copy of a MgCo's filed accounts before even bothering to enter bids. A major problem with shortage markets such as Dublin is the crazy amount of due-diligence required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

AKA the "Let them eat cake" understanding of the state of the housing market

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blowintothewest

The problem now however is finding somewhere that fits that bill that is affordable.

Time in the market is great if you can get into the market. All I can see at present locally is defective brick houses, 70s bungalows that haven't had work done to them since they were built and terraces in the wrong part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭combat14

Interesting article on china property market woes substantially dwarfing last USA crash in 2008

China's banking system is in free fall and the country's real estate losses could hit $4 trillion, veteran investor says

Agree. I used to laugh at people who said rent was dead money. But now my opinion is that it is rent money definite dead money. OK you get a service for it which is fair enough, but it doesnt further your own life situation unless you are happy to rent forever. And who is going to want to be renting when they are too old to work. Going on a council list at that age, you'll be dead before you get anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you receive the benefit of the service at the time you pay for it, it seems odd to characterise it as dead money. There aren’t many services that we pay for that give a future benefit.

• Advertisement

Renting is dead money if you are in a position to buy, and it makes financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Agreed, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are times when renting makes sense, and if we had a functional rental market, this would be fine. Long term, it's not something that someone should opt to do if they have a choice, but it's not a total loss in and of itself.

If you are renting because you are waiting for prices to come down before eventually buying its dead money.

If you were renting because you thought it was cheaper than buying, its dead money.

If you are renting because you have no intention of staying in the area in the future its not dead money. But if you are planning on buying somewhere else where prices are also going to go up in the future - dead money :)

If you are renting in Ireland dont expect the rental market to ever be functional again in your lifetime. We are way past the point of no return. I could be wrong, but i dont feel like testing it out while renting.

Nightmare scenario would be to be renting when we retire.

If you are paying rent and receiving the benefit of accomadation, how is that dead money? If you didn’t pay rent, you would have no where to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Your post reminds me of the fact that investors loose more money from missed opportunities investing because they are expecting a crash than they actually would have if they had invested and the market crashed….. I guess it comes down to people thinking they’re clever than everyone else.. Same people daydream about how much money they would have made if they invested in Apple 20/30 years ago.

if you are lucky enough to be in a position to buy and continue to rent then I would agree it’s dead money. However there are lots of reasons people rent that aren’t just about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I think you’re missing the point his talking about people that are in a position to buy but choose to rent…. So to answer your question they would buy somewhere to live and therefore wouldn’t have to pay rent. In this scenario I would agree with OP that it’s dead money but you need to remember that money isn’t the only consideration when choosing to rent

Honestly theres so many edge cases the idea of a linear list of dead money vs non dead money is a bit restrictive. It seems like you are trying to turn what is quite a complex and grey topic into a black and white one which I don't believe it can ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Blut2

That exact nightmare scenario is very likely to come to pass for large numbers of people, given trends in the Irish housing market:

"The share of 25-34 year olds who own their own home more than halved between 2004 and 2019, falling from 60 per cent to just 27 per cent.

Future cohorts of retirees are likely to have substantially lower rates of homeownership than current retirees. The research – funded by the Pensions Council – estimates that only 65 per cent of those currently aged 35-44 are likely to become homeowners by retirement given current trends, compared to 90 per cent of those currently aged 65+"

One third (or more, if trends continue worsening, which by every indication appears likely) of pensioners not owning their own homes is going to be completely unsustainable. Imagine trying to pay private sector rent on a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Yes I envisage the same, a lot of people approaching retirement not owning their homes. I hope government will think how will they will deal with these people in future.

Living the life

tbh I cant think of too many situations where renting long term is better than buying in Ireland.

• Advertisement

There's many who don't chose the situation they are in. The only houses near me are defective block, scummy neighbourhoods or not able to buy due to cute hoorism surrounding planning.

There's an element of finger pointing in many posts that implies many people chose to rent right now, again trying to black and white an often complex issue and ignore the real issues underlying this situation.

I agree with the sentiment of your post, its especially true of the last 4 years

Personally, if I found myself in a position where I had no option but to rent long-term, then I would move. Your house is more than your home. It's a (hopefully) inflation-proof asset that can provide security and a better standard of living for you and your family throughout your life. House ownership is expensive, but I view my principal mortgage payment like a long-term savings account.

Exactly the same positon here I can afford to and would love to settle down but I can just not because what is being offered is not suitable for me to live in (if suitable to live in at all). Throughout the last year of bidding, going sale agreed and getting the rug pulled away on two (and soon to be three) occasions the worst part is not that there are no houses its the attitudes of people that I know and online. In many cases people seem to talk at you and not to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Ultimately what made me give up on my last sale agreed was not so much problems with the property but the attitude of the vendor. To me it seems people in this market were making that extra effort to make the process even more horrible than it needs to be.

Current place I'm sale agreed on waited nearly 3 months for the contracts and turns some of the planning stipulations havnt been followed (the expensive ones). Called the estate agent to get an idea of what the story is with it and was told I could do them at my own expense. He was politely reminded that if the bank won't lend on it then it's unlikely anyone else will be able to buy either.

IMO no one gives a sh*t.

Not the EA, not the seller, not the valuer, not anyone. If you don't take it someone else will, and good service or bad service, they all get paid.

Honestly that is probably the reality of the situation. However for some reason it's acceptable in accomodation but when that same don't care I got paid attitude is exhibited in other places people go wild. The same attitude of don't care I still get paid for example in the HSE or things like public transport drives people on here to complain.

That might be the way of it but the same people spending 12 hours in ED shouldn't then be entitled to complain when the shoe is on the other foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Villa05

No let up in ex/politicians milking the property market for self gain. No appetite or willingness for political leaders to put in deterrents.

Carry on as before, just don't get caught; attitude prevails

Again, just to provide for the usual lack of context, the director mentioned was last a councillor on 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Villa05

Thanks for that, unfortunately it does not deal with the obvious need for deterrents which are not forthcoming despite decades of this type of behaviour

This familiar response is getting tiresome

Last week, a solicitor acting on their behalf told RTÉ Investigates that "they have not been involved in any wrongdoing

Advertisement