Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How long are these modern heat pump dryers taking to dry clothes?, bought a fancy heat pump whirlpool one 5/6yrs ago my other half hates it and reminds me frequently about it, takes forever to dry clothes. I wouldn't be an exaggeration to say some days it can be running all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Our method is to spin them before putting in the dryer. Outside when possible. Basically minimise dryer use. But as others have said sometimes you've only got a narrow window to do it.

Maybe we should start a new thread. I'm curious enough to be interested in an efficient means of drying clothes in our damp cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

From what I understand a heat pump dryer needs to be in an enclosed space to be efficient. Mine is in a small utility room and never seems to take a very long time, it's mainly used for towels/super king duvet sets and even then if never takes long. I don't think it ever runs the full 90 minute daily cycle as the sensor cuts it early when they're dry. Ours is a Beko that was bought 3.5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Try the internal dehumidifier with a clothes horse before installing any fancy machinery. I've been using it for years, got a bit of mould before from just drying indoors even with windows open but a simple dehumidifier does the job great. I move it around the house a little bit even apart from clothes drying just to purify the air and keep the place smelling fresh .

Miele HP that I have takes about 1h30 to do a large load of towels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,427 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

100% agree.

There are energy efficient ones on the market that cost peanuts to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

In my experience (which would echo the others above ) they are amazing and we wouldn’t be without one .

eco air dessicant is what we have and it’s excellent. Around 300 on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

There's 2 main types of dehumidifier, compressor or dessicant.

The compressor ones usually use a lot less energy than dessicant variants, between about a third to a half as much. A decent sized compressor dehumidifier consumes around 200w while an equivalent dessicant is around 600w. Smaller machines of either kind will consume a bit less but might not do the job as well.

Compressors work best if room temperature is typically around 15 degrees or above, but some better ones can work well as far as 10 degrees. They don't add much heat to a room since they're relatively low energy consumers. Dessicant dehumidifiers are much better than compressors at lower temperatures (e.g. colder house or garage) as they're not refrigerant based and don't get iced up at low temps. They also have the added benefit of helping to heat the room they're in due to the higher energy consumption, but obviously costs more to run.

So the choice is dependent on where you're using it - if it's a reasonably warm room/house you'll use it in then a compressor will work well and be cheaper to run. If it's a cooler room/house then a dessicant will work better, will help heat the room but cost more to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I use Meaco I got it from their Irish agent CH Marine in Skibereen, very good people to deal with. I had one die on me and they sorted it out no bother at all.

I bought mine online from CH Marine also - 5 year warranty for the Meaco is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Got my first Energia EV plan bi-monthly bill.

€180 which breaks down as 950 units on EV rate & 220 on peak rate.

Happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Fcuk that's a great saving, including the standing charge that usage would cost me €400. I'd never be able to shift that many units into the 4 hour window unfortunately, I'm still tempted to go for that plan, maybe they'll drop the 36c a small bit more🫣

I’ve had both types running in our utility which is typically 20 degrees plus, dessicant was far more effective at drying clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Averaging almost 100kwh per day in Winter seems extremely high? Would you empty a large battery EV daily? Any idea of what your heat pump is consuming itself?

I think for any non battery folk that 14c flogs rate is probably your best bet for load shifting to night. I run my heat pump and any EV charging on it. (Lucky enough to have free charging at work so can't complain bit probably need 1 full charge per week outside of work) Recently bought 20L dehumidifier also. Not much else by night bar maybe dishwasher. But in total thats then 50% usage on night rate.

Day rate is 33c so not crippling. 17 x 435w panels going in next week. Would love a battery but if a few big jobs lined up for next year so it will have to wait. But id have to go 15kwh battery at least for that pinenergy rate to make sense.

Yeah that's definitely possible for when drying clothes. The below article from Meaco is helpful and backs up what you say.

https://blog.meaco.com/when-to-buy-a-desiccant-dehumidifier-and-when-to-buy-a-compressor-dehumidifier/

For the clothes drying section it says:

"A desiccant dehumidifier tends to have a larger top speed air flow than a compressor dehumidifier and the air coming out of the dehumidifier is warmer. "

Obviously that comes at a higher running cost. The compressor is great at drying clothes too but not as quick as the dessicant, so you've to weigh up speed v cost.

in my house speed was definitely prioritised by the boss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭micks_address

just an update on my plan with pinergy - when i signed up 2 months ago the min level premium was 250 per month level pay - obviously way more than id use especially with solar/battery (more so battery in winter) - they just readjusted it down to 71 per month automatically. They said if my actual was 60% less than the initial premium it would happen and in fairness it did. The 5 cents rate between 2 and 5am is great but its not enough to fill my battery if there's little to no solar which is often the case in December. So some days i use 5 or 6 kwhr at 40 cents.. but once i get to mid jan/feb this is likely to come down to more like 1 or 2 a day (electric shower usage and or cooking)

A full year will be interesting. If i dont charge the car at night - then something like the energia plan with 4 hours at 8 cents would possibly be cheaper for me - battery would be full and id be less likely to need to import on dark days - but if i charge the car then im winning with pinergy and i think for the bulk of the year - feb to end of october ill be better off

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Is the invertor the bottleneck for charging the battery? What type is it?

Yep it's givenergy, can only charge and discharge at 3.6kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭snor

Surely Energia 2-6am would allow you to charge car and battery and at a cheaper rate? I charge both then and run appliances etc

It depends if I charge the car at same time. If I put 20kw into the car at 5 cents then it beats energia. I've only a shortfall in December dark days really. I've a 12 month's contract so I'll see how the full year goes and reassess then. Once there's a bit more solar the battery will last and I'll be down to pretty much all 5 cents rate with maybe 1 or 2 kWh on showers and cooking where the power draw goes over 3.6kwh plus whatever solar might be available at same time

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

FYI

I signed up to an Energia Smart Plan last week, heard nothing from them since.

When I called to chase it up, they told me it wasn't being processed due to "an industry wide issue with Day/Night Smart Meters not integrating correctly with suppliers' billing systems". That's the MCC02 meters which they started installing in September.

In any case, they processed my signup on the phone, and gave me 15% discount as opposed to the 10% discount online.

Don't know what the plan is called, but 36c day, 17c night (2300-0800) and 24c FIT all inc VAT.

We'll be mostly charging EV at night at 17c, selling surplus solar to grid at 24c. At least until we pass the tax threshold of 1600kWh exported. After that it may pay to charge from the solar. Can also charge once a week at work which will help. Mileage approx 30k/year, Kona 64.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I have a Meaco 10l dessicant in the storage area of our garage - I started running it as it was getting musty in there during the winter. I had an energy meter plug on Meaco, it shows 300W on low setting, 600W on higher setting. Over a few hours on low, it adds a couple of degrees to the room temperature (from 8 to 10 deg, room is insulated but not heated), and brings down humidity from 75% to 60%. Haven't had to run it on high, but you'd want to need the extra heat it generates, would be great in a laundry room.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭denismc

I am just curious why you didn't go with the smart EV plan with 4 hours @ 8 cent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Brain fart... delete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

A modern heat pump dryer will take 3:30 to dry 8kgs of washed and spun towelling. They use a third of the power of a vented dryer they also operate at a lower temperature.

They are essentially enclosed dehumidifiers, which is funny when people recommend room dehumidifiers over them.

Advertisement