Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So we need to be careful that in the future, given how volatile the UK is that they do not seek to use that soft power in a negative way.

Simple - we need to proceed with caution and realise that appeasement for the sake of it is always wrongheaded and potentially problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is a very good point.

If as some are claiming, there is a real danger of the UK using the Commonwealth against our interests, we would be much better joining it to prevent that from happening.

You wha?

Surely the wise counsel would be not to allow yourself be used in the first place?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why on earth would we want anything to do with such a pointless thing as the British Commonwealth?

What does it do? Why would want to be associated with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not following the argument in this thread but presumably as a sop to the 'other tradition in the North...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭pureza

I don't see the problem joining the commonwealth if it makes our soon to be newly minted unionist citizens more comfortable

There is no oath of allegiance involved or diminution of sovereignty

It's just a friendship club at this stage

The previous British monarch has already been hosted here and I dare say as Prince of Wales,Charles has been here more often than most of the commonwealth countries

I actually think opposition to such a joining is both old fashioned and a relic of core Sinn Féin Republicanism that needs to be circumcised especially in the context of what I said above

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not a sop, more a recognition of the British identity within Ireland. If we are uniting all the identities and traditions of the island, as mandated by our Constitution, we need to formally acknowledge the British identity and joining the Commonwealth is one of a number of ways in which we should do that.

What I don't understand is the duality of thinking in opposing it. On the one hand, it seems some opponents question the value of the Commonwealth, on the other, some seem to labour under delusional paranoid thinking that it will take over and we will somehow be subservient to a Tory government.

This is the now typical 'everything is SF's fault' go-to refrain.

It was under a Fine Gael Taoiseach = John E Costello that we left the Commonwealth, SF were NOT a force in politics at the time - 1949.

At NO time have we ever hinted that we wanted to re-apply to join or was a proposal put to the Dáil.

Today, MLMD has said that she as leader of SF is willing to consider it as a gesture as are all the other main party leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

With our 200 male asylum seekers now sleeping rough on the streets of Dublin (and more to come), is this government prepared for further unrest?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are you afraid these male asylum seekers might go on a rampage?

• Advertisement

I didn't know Mary Lou was considering it

That must be very new

That's to be welcomed

You've obviously forgotten that tents were put on fire the last time they were sleeping on the streets in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some eejits think that people who are implacably opposed to joining our country will somehow have their minds changed by a symbolic gesture.

They display a laughable ignorance of 20th century history on this island as well as an extremely patronising, infantilising attitude towards the people they are supposedly trying to win over.

It really isn't.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bulk that would never vote to join aren't the ones that people think might be convinced though

It's the soft UUP or Alliance voting, bake sales after a lovely service in the COI chapel, I don't really like Charles but his mother was lovely wasn't she and so is Kate so she is, 5% that might drag a tight referendum over the line that this may have a tiny influence on.

Plus maybe damp down some of the problems they would come after

It'd also give a global scale sports tournament we'd be able to host and do well in some bits of :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

If anything when I came to Ireland in 2013 it was partly to get away from this idea that a past empire was compensation for basically everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ironically, the notion that joining the Commonwealth would be "a recognition of the British identity within Ireland" is itself based on a view of the Commonwealth that is as outdated as Francie's. Commonwealth membership isn't about acknowledging, claiming, recognising or doing anything else with respect to any British identity; most Commonwealth member states are very strong on affirming that that's not what it's about, and a move away from this idea is one of the reasons why the Commonwealth has survived at all.

Mind you, the NI unionist notion of British identity is a fairly old-fashioned one, and maybe we shouldn't be amazed that it includes an outdated view of the Commonwealth.

As for the "duality of thinking", I honestly don't see why this would puzzle you, given that different view are being expressed by different people. My view is that the Commonwealth is pointless but — for that reason — basically harmless, so if by some miracle joining were to be the key to a successful united Ireland, we should join. Others have the view that the Commonwealth is harmful, either because it fosters retrograde imperialist notions or because it will somehow be transmuted by the British government into a sinister tool of control against the wishes of its members. Since they don't think it's harmless, they oppose joining it.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Maybe tax exiles should be allowed unlimited access to the country, for say a fee of 100,000 Euro per day.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

A large fire has partially destroyed Ross Lake House in Galway which was due to take refugees.

This is unbelievable.

The government have created this mess. They now have at least 200 refugees on the streets with fears for their safety.

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/1217/1422444-galway-hotel-fire/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a strong probability that fire was started intentionally in which case it is not the government's fault that the house innunusable and any potential occupants are now homeless

Putting asylum seekers onto the streets is the current government policy. That is their fault.

It's been obvious for a while that the government is unable to create further asylum centres around the country due to local opposition and now in the extreme, arson attacks.

How did we end up here under this government?

Should they speed up deportations? Should they further reduce welfare for Ukrainians coming here? Should they offer to pay for repatriation flights?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The whole question of migration is very difficult as it is based on a definition from the 1950s when the world was a very different place.

Those seeking 'international protection' are self selecting and arrive unannounced in our country. No-one asked them to come, and there is no process open to them to apply before they arrive here if they are claiming 'international protection'. Now why is there is no time driven process to validate the claims of those arriving and consequently, cases drag on for years - even decades?

What is required is a set procedure with a time line such that decisions are made within a few months at most.

Apparently many 'international protection' applicants come from Georgia, an applicant country for EU membership. Surely they do not qualify. An Algerian was interviewed the other day as having to live on the street. Surely Algeria is not at war. These applicants should be refused entry, of deported immediately.

This is just not a problem for us, it is worldwide. Australia, USA, and all of Europe suffers from the movement of people from poorer areas of the world to richer areas. Surely the solution for the richer areas would be to put more resources into the poorer countries, such that the wish to migrate would be reduced.

Now is the time for this whole issue to be rethought away from the far-right play book. Perhaps the UN needs to start the re-think of this issue. If it is allowed to continue as is, it provides fertile ground for the far-right to cause the erosion of society and democracy.

I agree completely. But some have been saying they should be deported immediately for ages now and they have branded as far right.

I'm not so sure calling everything and everyone far right is helpful.

The fact that prominent boards posters are saying there should be immediate deportations now shows how far views on asylum seekers has come.

I am not suggesting immediate deportations.

There should be a defined process that is followed. Countries should be on a list - for countries that do qualify for 'international protection' and another list for those that do not. The procedure should have definite time lines - and a fixed appeal procedure, and a final deportation for those that fail.

Alternatives could be proposed - but I have not proposed any as I do not know what those might be.

Regarding IP,simply disallow country hopping asylum seeking

1st country or go home

Just have an EU fund to support the camps

Once vetted properly subject to annual quotta's allow them to move but only if they've a job offer and accommodation

Stuff like that

It's not rocket science

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you show us where it is government policy to put asylum seekers on the streets (being unable to supply accommodation at short notice does not make it a policy)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The people who burn down shelter for vulnerable people are responsible for burning it down.

"I was driven to it" is the response of thugs everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Many of us are looking for a party to vote for with the following policy's, feel free to add to this list.

Severely curtIling illegal immigration

fixing a broken health service

Fixing crime and punishment, including increasing Garda and prisons

Outlawing hi jab and burka in public

Removing all social housing from the city centre

Advertisement