Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Photobox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

But I just don't think there's any chance of that happening. Why woukd current political parties perform a complete 180 on immigration issues when you even admit the vast majority of people don't necessarily want them to. Now a significant rise in support for a party like the National Party would likely make them rethink their approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

If come election time I conclude that the National Party are the only ones who tick enough boxes for me personally, then I’ll vote for them. I will be voting for someone with a proper and sincere plan with regards to immigration though. Whomever that may be.

I don’t know if you’ve realised yet but trying to belittle and suppress people’s voices by throwing around sound bites like “well vote for the national party” is going to backfire on you. Just the same as calling people far right, etc has failed.

Another riveting post. I see you haven't acknowledged the fact that one of the posters I originally quoted would consider voting for the NP either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

That poster can speak for himself.

You wanted to know why the majority of posters were nonplussed about your unsuccessful hocking of the NP and my explanation is the correct one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They are a left wing 'social justice' party. They couldn't go down the anti-immigration route, not without abandoning key parts of their very ideology for the last 30 or 40 years. Even FG or FF becoming anti-immigration would make more sense.

Also, I don't think they actually have too much in common with your average right wing or conservative voter. Pro-Palestine and anti-Israel, anti-Trump, pro-LGBT rights, not keen on strong law and order / prisons etc.

That's fantastic, well done. I'd always encourage people to vote, even if they were voting for a party I had completey different views on. I think a healthy democracy is one that has the highest levels of participation from citizens. I'm certainly not trying to supress anyones views. In fact I'm doing the opposite, I'm encouraging people to be honest and open about what party best aligns with their own beliefs. People sitting here pretending the NP doesn't tick a lot of the boxes that they want ticked is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What about when the current experienced politicians are rats and snakes.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

We can't use this term now, Helen was told off for using this term. It stops all the goody goodies turning around all the young s##m B#£gs to become model citizens. Lmfao.

The NP only exist to discredit opposition imo. They would be heavily infiltrated by Irish and British intelligence agencies just like Republican parties like e.g. IRSP were.

They held their recent conference in the PSNI/MI5 bermuda triangle of Enniskillen in Northern Ireland which is very suspicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I have a genuine question. If you have people openly admitting to just coming purely to look for work, can they still avail of the asylum system? I would have thought not i.e. that they'd have to at least officially pretend to be fleeing something.

The reason I ask is that in this article, they seem to be quite open about it (assuming accurate reporting)

e.g.

Jamal Dwen came to Ireland for employment opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 16,431 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Can't speak for the others but I'm doing the exact opposite; I'm trying to help you guys to, instead of sitting around here venting about Roderic O'gorman's latest outrage, focus on what you really need: politicians who will implement the kinds of policies you want. Seems to me there are three basic ways of getting this:

1. Some/all mainstream parties pivot to more restrictive immigration policies. Not impossible in theory and indeed is already happening to a very limited extent

But these moves are presumably nowhere near sufficient for you guys. Seems to me the only you can really pressure the established parties to go further in this direction is by advancing options 2 and 3

2. People start voting for current far-right parties in numbers. As above, very little sign of this so far and most of you are saying you aren't interested and you don't believe these parties are ever going to break into the mainstream

So that leaves 3. Set up a new electable moderately rigt-wing party that will implement 'sensible' immigration policies. But this won't just happen magically. Somebody is going to have to take some practical steps out there in the real world. And it's already probably too late for it to happen in any meaningful way in time for the upcoming elections....

That’s good to know. I always vote and after hearing Marian Harkin’s views last night, I’m glad I gave her my No1 last time round.

Oh wipee you have got us all because I said I might as well vote for them as all other fooking clowns in the mainstream parties.

You don't seem to gotten the salient fact that as was shown quite adequately in the video from Ballyshannon middle Ireland is really pi**ed off with all the political parties and their bullshyte.

Of course you probably wouldn't have watched that video as they are all of course far right racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

There needs to be a proper vetting system in place for anyone seeking to come here to live; and assurances given to communities' that this is the case.

I think I said this before in another post but when I did a community scheme for employment I was garda vetted there had to be a garda clearance done prior to starting on the scheme and such is the case with a lot of jobs too. If I have and many others have to be garda vetted for employment on a community scheme or prior to starting a job.

Then it makes dam common sense that someone travelling here to live should also subject to garda vetting and garda clearance .

Are you Irish and did you grow up in Ireland?

Irish people don't necessarily have a full suite of 'liberal' or 'conservative' views. Most Irish people are pro-Palestianian for good or ill. There isn't a large pro-Israel faction in this country aligned with other views.

An Irish person doesn't need a strong opinion on Trump either way but I'm not aware of a lot of pro-Trump people in Ireland. He is seen as a bit of clown but only addicted-to-politics people feel like they need a stance. Non-news junkies don't care.

Also there is not a big population share of Irish people who are in favour of leniency for criminals. When someone is 'not keen on strong law and order' they are usually a professional bureaucrat or sociologist, or some other person acting in an official capacity or hoping to have a career doing so.

Look at a left-liberal site like reddit ireland, where even studenty types want criminals incarcerated and to see foot patrols by AGS.

It has nothing do with a British-and-American-influenced dichotomy of 'liberal' vs. 'conservative' where (American) conservatives are 'pro-police' 'law and order' types. For one thing all Irish people are pro-AGS, so there is no 'liberal' 'anti-police' faction to begin with.

Vetting should start by dividing the genuine asylum seekers and the fraudsters. Anyone with no documentation or evidence of where they have came from should not be allowed entry. Very easy to implement if the will to do so was there.

Of course I didn't watch the video. What the people of Ballyshannon think doesn't concern me.

Given your a man who believes that what's happening is currently another situations of the plantations I really don't understand why you aren't a more vocal NP supporter tbh.

But you do at least acccept that most peoples views on immigration in this thread are aligned most closely with the National Party/Irish freedom Party compared to any other political party in Ireland?

Why should I be a big supporter of national party, a party founded and led by a gobshyte that would quite happily have us back to the days of archbishop McQuade.

He and his deputy leader came out of the youth defense movement which was anti divorce, anti abortion.

They have always been more concerned about who shags who and the results than anything else.

It is only recently they have climbed on board the anti immigration train, granted they have front row seats since there are very few willing to get on the train.

But times will be a changin.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Private homes that have spare bedrooms will have to take in IPA’s.

It makes no sense say a couple living in a 4 bed house and three bedrooms idle. That could easily house 6 IPA’s.

• Advertisement

A very flippant statement. What's happening in Ballyshannon concerns What's happening throughout the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Jesus will you delete that post encase someone from the goverment is reading it.

Although the way things are going that's probably an option they will need to look at.

No it doesn't. The people of Donegal voted against repealing the 8th Amendment, that didn't concern the fact that everyone other county voted for it. What happens is these small little rural towns really has very little impact in most other areas, especially urban ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

You think they haven't already thought of this? You do know that one of the questions on the census was how many bedrooms are in each dwelling and how many people are living there? All the prep work in identifying how many spare bedrooms there are in the country is done. They just need the excuse that it is for the "greater good" and they'll try and push it through, after the elections of course.

Oh and for those that say, well census information would never be used in this way, well all I can say is God bless your innocence.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

So what's happening in killarney,Roslare,Dromore, east wall etc etc is different to what is happening in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

That was some meeting in Donegal in that video.at least we got to see what the people voted in are really like when confronted with angry locals/far right’s as they are all called.marian harkin only one not afraid to speak the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The reason the anti-immigration lobby have been potentially looking at Sinn Fein to vote for is they hear all the anti-government language and criticism of FF/FG policies. But they're completely ignoring that SF is a left wing party and sees PBP and the Social Democrats as natural bedfellows. You cannot say you are a 'social justice' party, but then be anti-immigration. Social justice believes in looking after the poor, the left behind, minorities, victims of discrimination etc....immigrants and refugees who live here would 100% fall into that category, as would Irish people from ethnic minority backgrounds.

I did laugh when someone asked Martin Kenny what Sinn Féin’s policy was on immigration and somebody shouted….

BRITS OUT. EVERYONE ELSE IN! 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

Vetting is pointless. If we trust the country of origin to provide reliable criminal records, then that's normally a safe country that can have them back. And when they come from a country who punish women for being raped then having a clean record doesn't mean anything. We should not accept non European asylum seekers at all, and only highly skilled non EU migrants, and even that may be problematic with that certain culture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement