Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing notice period?

Options
  • 07-12-2023 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hey Guys -

I bought a new built house which will be ready by 20th December and looks like we will be able to move in before Christmas. In our current apartment we have been living for more than 4 years so we have a 12 week notice period however since we now know that our house is ready, we want to reduce our notice period and would like to ideally leave the apartment on 1st week of January. We were able to find a suitable couple who wanted to take over the lease from 1st week of January so we went to management and asked them if they can take over the reamining lease so that we would be able to leave our house early however management told me they have a waiting list and they can't give the apartment to anyone that we bring so they told us that they will try to reduce our notice period but cannot guarantee anything.

I'm just wondering if there's a way for me to reduce my notice period in this case? I really can't afford to be paying mortgage on my house + rent for the apartment for 3 months! I thought it would be fine if we were able to get a replacement but apparently it's not the case and we have to go by the waiting list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Congratulations on your new house OP. Landlord might insist that you abide by the rules, legally it's 84 days as you said, but if the letting agent has a waiting list of approved potential tenants ready to move at end Jan or early feb after the apartment has been painted and cleaned, the owner might agree to a shorter period.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

If the landlord refuses you permission to assign the lease you can serve notice of termination to the landlord and end the lease without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I bet they will be happy enough for you to leave. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

Yes but you still have to give the notice period in this instance aswell.. you cant just leave immediately i think but i might be wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

they have a waiting list and they can't give the apartment to anyone that we bring so they told us that they will try to reduce our notice period but cannot guarantee anything.

If they have a waiting list then they already have somebody, what's the problems they can fill it tomorrow if you leave it back clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

They may have a waiting list, but that doesn't mean that the tenant they want is ready to move in ASAP, The New tenant may need to give notice. The new tenant may be moving jobs and not ready to move in ASAP. they may be waiting on references etc for the new tenant. they need time to show the property.

I'm very iffy about people that need to move in straight away-why the rush? were they kicked out of their old place? maybe they have legitimate reasons, but I prefer to be sure of these before I hand over the keys to a 200k+ property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

OP isn't asking for no notice period they have time to vett a tenant from their wafting list and if the top of the list can't take it, next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

If the most preferred tenant cant take it ASAP, then the tenant moving out should have given the correct notice period, so that the landlord could be given the correct amount of time to find a suitable tenant. Is it to be run like a business or not? and by that, I mean a successful business. The law is there for landlords as well as tenants, although it is there much more for the tenant.

Advertisement