Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What's all this about giving it a special name? Have your fellow Zionist supporters on here not already waved off and dismissed 20k+ civilian deaths as just what happens in war? Are we not being consistent here? I would have been of the opinion that both were atrocities before you guys explained and shrugged it away as the equivalent of "meh, sh1t happens".

Methinks it is you that is trolling!

You guys have your few "go to" retorts to try to shut down any debate.

Now you are going on about some book printed long before any event mentioned on thread. What next - Merchant of Venice? |I doubt you'd even know what was in it. Either of them for that matter.

Please let us know of the relevance. How many Gazan toddlers is each IDF soldier allowed to kill because of some pamphlet published over 100 years ago. Maybe we can unearth a newspaper story of a Jewish person being mugged in London in the 1840's and use that to justify another few thousand of those toddlers.

Your own mask has well and truly slipped at this stage yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The civilians are the ones being eliminated. Women and children in their thousands and those the Israelis miss will be starved it seems. The IDF don't seem to be able to get at the terrorists and seem so frustrated that even more civilians like medical personnel, journalists and donkeys and carts have become the targets. Strange that after more than 2 months not a single hostage has been rescued. Very poor job by the IDF that. They seem better at killing unarmed civilians, attacking and kicking cameramen and damaging mosques than they are at tackling terrorists and freeing hostages.

"They are a different kind of bunch. They don’t want any solution with the Palestinians, they just want to punish all the Palestinians"

Sleepy Joe on the Israelis. December 13, 2023

The notion that any of Israel's actions were based on an intention to target Hamas is, and always was, a barefaced lie. Netanyahu was open about it from the start with his Amalek crap. It was only facilitators (similar to some on here) who sought to try to obfuscate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Who is supporting Hamas. Your post is borderline hysterical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You could be correct, however From the timings it seem Israelis had decided (for the time being) not to do a preemptive strike before the meetings with the US.

By the time Mr. Blinken arrived in Tel Aviv for his first wartime visit, on Oct. 12, the American officials had become less anxious about such a strike, but were still concerned over potential Israeli overreaction to the ongoing Hezbollah rocket attacks.

Of course the US also didn't want them to invade Gaza. We know how much they listened to the US on that...

"During visits last week to Israel, Austin and Blinken also reportedly pointed out that the United States would find it difficult to support an Israeli ground operation in Gaza, if it involved considerable damage to civilians and have a potential risk to Egyptian sovereignty, according to Ynet, citing Washington’s stance on not alienating pro-American Arab regimes."

On the other side various parties have been trying to get Hezbollah not to provoke a reaction. Hezbollah response...

Hezbollah has been firing rockets into northern Israel since Israel’s war with Hamas began, prompting Israeli airstrikes and artillery fire in south Lebanon..

Whats holding back Hezbollah and Israel is reported to be..

The Israeli news channel reported that Austin offered, in return for Israel holding back, that the U.S. would bring American pilots and aerial support into the war, but only if Hezbollah attacked first.....

This would be in addition to the current deterrent force of two aircraft carrier strike groups (CSGs) that have been stationed in the Mediterranean, close to the coast of Lebanon. 

Could go either way. Someone said earlier the US presence might be holding the power keg in check for the time being. That might be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

"Shut down any debate?" I'm just trying to find out why da Joos are being held to an absurd standard that no belligerent in history has ever been held to. And yes, your ... whatever that was about Kristellnacht would gone down very well in a German beer hall around that time.

As for Gaza, perhaps international law has been changed in some way, but AFAIK if Israel has declared war on Hamas, PIJ etc then they're given very broad latitude in doing whatever they see fit to annihilate them, and perhaps also their supporters.

So what about the non Hamas supporters? How do they differentiate or is it '' kill them all and we accomplish our task''?

I'll admit. You are correct. No "belligerent" in history has ever been expected not to just wholesale murder innocent and vulnerable civilians on a whim in order to sate their bloodlust.............. 😴

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭brickster69

"[The hostages] appeared [to the IDF] to be terrorists because there was no good visuals on them, and they could have been wearing clothes that belonged to locals,"

So going by that the IDF are just shooting and killing people because they could be terrorists wearing civilian clothes. Sounds like a good way to limit civillian deaths, just shoot and kill anyone in clothes.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Children in 30 years won't be learning about Nazis, they'll be learning about the IDF.

Reminds me of the incident where a few Israelis ran out with their assault rifles in response to some kind of threat and was shot (I think by a soldier) because the soldier assumed it was a Palestinian so he could get away with it.

They tried to cover it up anyway but the body was later exhumed and an autopsy proved the soldier shot him. Was in the news yesterday or the day before.

Not to be making light of a serious situation, but it reminded me of an episode of South Park

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not even remotely a surprise that the IDF would be trigger happy creeps. If they're able to kill their own people so easily, they must be taking even less care with Gazans - they must be one of the worst and most unprofessional armies in the world (strongly rumoured they killed dozens of Israelis on October 7th).

Can you please provide the official order in which people are supposed to speak out about different issues?

Thanks. We wouldn't want to bring one up without having brought up any of the per-requisite ones first.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Zero principles of distinction being applied. Which has been pointed out previously except this time they have now killed their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭brickster69

It blows up the " human shield " narrative also if they just shoot anyone regardless of what clothes they are wearing.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Right, and it's going to be whitewashed of any potential war crimes just like the allies are whitewashed in today's history. This always tend to happen for the winners, especially when they are the ones with a good cause.

That makes them sound more incompetent than genocidal. But as a controversial statesman once said: "You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Sorry, hard to go back through so many posts here. I recall you and others debated the point about "the Jews being held to a different standard". Could you remind me what you posted in regards to this?

Speaking for myself, possibly others, I think anyone viewing these events who has any notion of humanity in them would see that this is just plain wrong. I think any belligerant who is responsible for the killing of tens of thousands of innocent civilians and reducing their homes, workplaces, hospitals, places of worship etc. to rubble, starving them, denying them medical supplies and terrorising them has crossed the line of unacceptability of plain simple humanity.

The attacks of October 7th equally crossed that line of unacceptability. But that does not give anyone the right to act disproportionately in their response. And in my opinion, there is nothing "absurd" in calling out Israel on what the IDF is doing.

I find the words "da Joos" that you used in your post quite offensive.

• Advertisement

All throughout history, civilian fatalities have been unavoidable in declared wars, and belligerents given very broad latitude to do whatever they have to, as long as they're going after legitimate military targets, with a view to ending a threat. And whether we like it or not, Hamas has turned the Gaza strip into a giant terrorist military base, having ruled it since 2006. I don't like it, but that's war. As to my phrasing, it was intended to parody what I believe to be something verging on anti-Semitism.

They are well trained soldiers. Mistaken, probably. Incompetent, no.

The use of small arms fire wouldn't normally lead to "genocide" and individual foot soldiers would not normally be classed as "genocidal". That would be the State. With significant quantities of bombs and heavy weaponry and shells.

You seem to be suggesting that Israel is incompetent and not genocidal? And it has little/no control over the army it has? And has been training for many decades? Or am I reading too much into your words?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

Phew. There was me thinking 20,000 dead civilians, decimated civilian infrastructure and forced relocation into conditions of disease and starvation were war crimes when its simply 'one of those things'. 'Par for the course'. 'It is what it is'. And there was me actually giving a shite - what waste, eh?

First of all, I reject utterly the claim that Israel is "genocidal." They're in a war where lots of people want them dead, in my view they're justified in taking a total war stance. I was responding to tales of IDF soldiers killing their own troops, Israeli hostages etc. that sounds like at least some in the IDF aren't entirely sure what they are doing. I'd also have to question Israel's government and intelligence services if they legitimately had no idea the 7th of October attacks were about to happen.

Yes indeed and when backed into a corner the old ''anti-Simitism'' is thrown in. Its their human shield kind of thing.

I really don't see that the IDF is going after legitimate military targets with the bulk of the dead Gazans being women and children. I can't vouch for the men but I doubt all of them are Hamas combatants. I don't agree that Hamas has turned Gaza into a "giant terrorist military base" and Israel doesn't believe that either.

I think you are making excuses for the what the Israelis are doing by starting tour premise with "All throughout history..."

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Did you "give a s***e" about the people killed in the Allied bombings of cities in Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan? Or just Gaza?

From the news sources I read, I'm seeing the word genocide rather a lot - and not in the sense of rejecting it. You're entitled the reject it of course, as do others, but I I'm seeing that as a minority view. But you've made it clear and I'm not here to debate that with you.

So, let's see, "Israel is in a war with lots of people who want them dead". And let's just stick to Gaza for now. These people are starving, deprived of shelter, deprived of basic human needs. You think they all have the capacity to stand up to the IDF? You think they are all potential terrorists/combatants and fair game? They may of course want the IDF dead - if I was being bombed into the stone age, I'd at least want it to stop. And if someone wiped out my loved ones for no reason at all, I think I would wish an unhappy ending on that person(s).

IDF Soldiers know exactly what they are doing (as do trained professional soldiers in general). I think any soldier who had a notion that one of their colleagues "didn't know what they were doing" would keep their distance or report it.

And by "having to question the Israeli Govt...." do you accept then that there is the possibility that all this could have been avoided and all the innocents who have died on both sides would possibly still be alive?

• Advertisement
Advertisement