Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm not looking for outrage but new experiences colour old ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was about to go "when did Leia meet Obi wan?", before realising I had totally forgotten the Kenobi show was really and indeed, was predominantly about kid Leia. Yeesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You are. It's obvious from your posting the last few years.

It's not outrage to say when they make disappointing to downright awful sequels/prequels it can colour your enjoyment of the originals. It's a slightly different case but rewatching the first fours series of Game of Thrones they are definitely coloured by the steep decline of the last four.

That makes no sense.

Game of Thrones was different seasons of the same show. The same story with season 1 the start and 7 the end.

Absolutely nothing like the slight links TNG has to Discovery. Nothing about the Picard show even has any real bearing on TNG episodes.

• Advertisement

I can't tell if your making the joke about there only being seven seasons or not. Actually, a better example is the Star Wars prequels or sequels, a lot of people feel they colour their enjoyment of the previous films. If you can compartmentalise information like that fair play but when I go back to an episode of TNG I do sometimes get Picard crossing my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

Personally, I find it easy not to think of the modern stuff as being in the same universe as the three golden era shows....they're so different, tonally, visually, the acting, the writing...you name it.

I did really enjoy Picard S3, same with SNW, Lower Decks, and Prodigy, but they're still "separate" for me. I don't find myself watching a TNG episode thinking it all turns out like shown in Picard, thankfully. There's just no connection for me between the shows.

Discovery, Picard S1/2 I'll likely never watch again, so they're quite easy to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yeah I'd accept that actually. Enterprise gets a bad rap, but once it gets going it definitely has some good moments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Same could be said of the original Series re. tone and execution: think people quickly forget how ... "theatrical" and pulpy TOS was, especially compared with later shows like DS9 - arguably the show at its most "this is serious stuff". The original show was a swashbuckling adventure series whose Big Thinker episodes were outliers - and often quite reductive in their own way.

Strange New Worlds sits happily in the same universe. Yeah it's splashier and more "modern", but its heart is exactly the same grinning and charismatic show of fun space adventure the 1960s show ever was. Can't say the same about Picard - even the much improved season 3. They corrected the worse mistakes but prior seasons were objectionably bad drama, let alike Star Trek and whiffed its titular character badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tbh, I only watched TOS for the sake of completeness. It's a very different show to TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT imo. Even "canon" wise, aside from the core characters and concepts (Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Uhura, Federation, FTL travel, Klingons, Romulans), it doesn't really line up that much or even maintain much internal consistency with its own canon for that matter.

Like I don't think it was unfair for fans of TOS to complain about TNG being so different, it really was. As someone who grew up on TNG it's different in the sense of much much better imo but different nonetheless. Similarly Discovery is a very different beast to the Trek series that came before. Worse imo, but it does have its own legion of loyal fans who absolutely love it.

Yeah TOS is its own thing really. It did lay the foundation, intentionally or not, for the greatness that came next. I could see why fans at the time would take issue with TNG, given how neat, tidy and formal it probably felt to watch it.

TNG was progress in every way though (silly early episodes aside). It raised the bar on TV (maybe not on the big screen) for storytelling, visuals, production, it's all objectively better for the most part.

You absolutely cannot say that about Discovery. It's not in any way an improvement over what came before it.

SNW holds its own, on reflection I can get my head around it being set preTOS, but definitely not Discovery. It's pure tripe, in most measurable ways for me.

Post edited by Inviere on

Ya TOS canon is all ove the place even with itself. Starfleet and the Federation was really only nailed down in the TOS movies as the names change a few times in TOS and the structure is not fleshed out.

I always think the movies (probably due to production dates) fir in with Berman Trek better than they do TOS.

Certainly you get a sense of the disparity of tone with Trials and Tribulations; a warm mockery of TOS but a stark light thrown on just how different the series was.

I like SNW cos they managed to find the balance between the retro-futurist look of TOS, but still looking like "our" own future at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,557 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

First kiss between Black and white was a much bigger deal anyway - at that stage Black Americans had only just recently been recognised as legally equal, with segregation having just ended. So that specific dynamic was a massive culture shock, and a real sign of 'the future'.

A kiss between a man of European ancestry and a Japanese woman on TV less than 15 years after the end of a particularly vicious war was probably a bigger deal at the time.

I suppose it's a debate that could be had... I'd personally say that the Kirk Uhura one was bigger at the time, with Nichols' race literally and legally being seen as sub-human only 3 or 4 years before that episode, with that switch in status still being a massively controversial issue in 1968 (and for a long time after). Of course the US has always been fairly awful in its treatment of all non-whites, but Black people always had a special level of sub-societal status fundamentally ingrained in all aspects of daily life, so publicly elevating someone at that precise point in time was I think, the biggest such moment we've seen and indeed will ever see.

I think the proof is somewhat in the pudding that whenever this subject comes up, everyone immediately thinks of 'Star Trek' for the cultural impact of the moment. (I'd actually never heard of "Sea Hunt" until I googled to see what you were referring to, and in a bit of searching it doesn't seem like it created much news/furore at the time?)

I think it has more to do with the fact that when people here "racism" with regard to America the only think of African Americans.

I just think that if the "Sea Hunt' moment was actually a culturally bigger event than the Trek one, we'd have seen it have a more lasting impact than it has (or even just evidence of it having a big impact at the time, which i've had trouble finding). For me, it makes total sense the Trek one was a bigger culture shock in the moment for all the factors I went into above, as well as for the scale of interest in the respective shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The first black/white kiss on ST on TV is not true- already happened years before on UK TV, maybe the claim on US TV is acceptable but the claim first on tv is wrong

• Advertisement

Technically it's not even correct for the US but the previous one as a kiss on the cheek.

Star Trek has had a bigger cultural impact over all, and still airs on TV around the world, Sea Hunt does not as far as I can tell. And there's still a lot of myth around the Kirk/Uhura kiss like there were complaints about it in some states at the time which isn't true. TV stations were prepared to receive complaints but they never happened.

It very much seems like which one had the bigger cultural impact, both at the time and since, seems pretty clear... 🤷

It definitely was not.

Wars were fought between "equals" and the Asians were never slaves in America. Asians had problems post war which is something Takai was one of the great advocates for but it was a different stigma especially when it came to sexuality where Asian women and black men are sexualised in a way that did not (and still doesn't) happen gender reversed.

A US man at the time could have had a Japanese, Korean or Vietnamese wife easier than a US born wife who was black.

I stand by what I said earlier. You are one of those people who looks for outrage and exactly the type of toxic fan who hates the likes of Discovery for the wrong and not right reasons.

Asian people weren't literal property though for half the country, with many still (just about) remembering those days when Trek came out. While the Jim Crow laws were in force up until 1965, MLK dying only 3 years after. George Takei was a great advocate for anti Asian prejudice and was a bit of a forgotten chapter in racism but by and large Asian people in America were afforded possibilities that simply didn't exist for African Americans.

Chinese "workers" in places like California post civil war might disagree on the slavery aspect. They weren't really considered human either since their deaths weren't recorded for things like the Great San Francisco Earthquake in 1906. The anti miscegenation laws in the US also extended to Asians and Native Americans. You're kind of proving the point that people only think African American when the hear of racism in the US.

Not outraged at all by the way. Disagreement isn't outrage.

I knew about everything you just said and knew you would throw it at me.

People "might disagree" all they want and the Asians, Irish, Italians and South Americans dealt with an awful lot of sht and racism but one doesn't negate the other. No point trying the "only black people bollix with me".

But your little attempts to negate the plight of blacks in America has been done so many times before and failed so I will bore people here no longer by arguing with such a clearly twisted fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, erm Star Trek?

• Advertisement

Here, Red Letter Media did a TNG quiz for which I barely got a single answer. Ye can cool off seeing how big of a nerd ye are.

Advertisement