Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Connacht v Saracens

15. John Porch (183)

14. Byron Ralston (23)

13. Tom Farrell (103)

12. Bundee Aki (128)

11. Shayne Bolton (5)

10. Jack Carty (199) (C)

9. Caolin Blade (178)

1. Jordan Duggan (42)

2. Dave Heffernan (185)

3. Jak Aungier (56)

4. Darragh Murray (15)

5. Gavin Thornbury (71)

6. Cian Prendergast (54)

7. Conor Oliver (70)

8. Paul Boyle (86)

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (30)

17. Denis Buckley (235)

18. Finlay Bealham (193)

19. Joe Joyce (7)

20. Jarrad Butler (118)

21. Michael McDonald (1)

22. JJ Hanrahan (7)

23. Diarmuid Kilgallen (21)

Great to see Gavin Thornbury back from injury, it's exactly a year since his last game for Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ShineyShiney

That's a good team, delighted to see Thornberry back in action. Fingers crossed it goes well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Baffling selection for me. Carty back in as captain after being totally out of contention of late. Fine to pick him again but as captain is extra pressure for an out of form player coming into a side staring a bad beating in the face.

Tom Farrell left out in the cold in recent weeks is back in again despite no logical reason as to why he was dropped in the first place. Cathal Forde again messed around needlessly.

He's hanging Duggan out to dry here. He's going to have a very tough day at the office.

Bolton has only had one decent cameo against Dragons in all his time here (i appreciate he has had injuries) yet he leapfrogs an in form Kilgallen who was rested last week. Of course we have to rotate given the schedule but Wilkins selections continue to defy logic for me.

Thornbury being back is significant. For his sake I hope he gets a clear run for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Have found some of our selections this season pretty strange.

• Advertisement

I am also confused by the selection logic. Also agree that the start for Duggan is surprising. He's up against Alec Clarey, not a TH that I'd heard of to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I get the frustration with the selection but Carty is the club captain. It’d probably be a bigger blow to his confidence and that to start him and not have him as captain tbh. Blade hasn’t exactly thrived with the captaincy either.

I also think Farrell went off injured against the dragons and hasnt been seen since then. So think it is more an injury issue that wasn’t announced than being dropped.

Duggan and Bolton are strange ones. Kilgallen surely starts the next three or four games in a row. Also the handling of DTM seems very odd.

Fors anyone know what sort of a budget Connacht work with? I saw a tweet saying the Welsh regions will be down to 4.5mil next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd expect Connacht would to that amount. It's telling for the regions that a lot of players ply their trade elsewhere.

With how bad they are now, you’d have to wonder how bad they will be next season.

Also a hat tip to Connacht, we have high standards compared to what the welsh lads are dealing with on similar budgets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Wonder when you use the word budget what that money covers. Is that simply salaries. And if it's salaries then let's say we have 45 players, then that would average 100k per player. But then what about all the coaching staff and then the management/marketing/admin staff.

Then who pays for all the travel and accommodation while abroad.

I know there are a huge amount of volunteers who really deserve huge thanks for their work but still it's amazing how Connacht can survive on such a small amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Anyway here we go. Hope for a big game from Jack. He really needs it for himself. And I were to pick our centre partnership on ability I believe Bundee and Tom is the best selection. I know that's hard on Cathal who is also a huge talent

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seems to me that they've given up on the Champions cup already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Good man Carty

Great try. Badly needed

• Registered Users Posts: 68,674 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Gwan Bundee. Well worked try

Porch going well defensively so far

A much better showing here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Connacht have been excellent, but have made an utter mess of fielding Saracens restarts twice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Salty on comms from Healey is beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Some lovely Austin Healy tears there

Sarris are going to wind the ref up bigtime with all this mouthing. That's a good sign for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The TNT commentators cant hide their bias.

any decision going against sarries is completley wrong and its highly entertaining.

Farrell tackling the connacht winger to the ground and pushing into his upperbody when he was down has austin healy calling for a rule change where retaliation would be allowed!!

Really poor to concede the penalty for our own feed and inevitably cost us a try. Badly need a score before HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

TNT commentary is so pro English teams it's a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connacht couldn’t have played the last 5 minutes of the half any worse. From 9 points up to 4 points down.

Wasting that 9 point lead is so true to form for this Connacht side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Our ability to show zero game management never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,674 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Authors of their own downfall again. Can’t get a handle on Sarries maul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great performance up until about the last eight minutes.

Advertisement