Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭spillit67

How?

It’s broadly a similar length of line once our projects are completed. There are obvious differences (less ridership meaning less eyes on the line, more homeless, headline costs) but as I said, even a percentage of that number is enormous.

There’s been an effort here to underplay the issues on the LUAS but they just don’t pass mustard. At the outset we had people saying stuff like “the bus is just as bad”, until the data came in. Then it wasn’t a fair comparison. Although I note that you rather bizarrely brought up Dublin Bikes which itself has built environment security protections.

Moreover, I think it’s odd that we have people praising the cost efficiencies of automated trains but then stating a large scale transport police is the answer. Rather than have a cost benefits discussion, it boils down to talking about Copenhagen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Moreover, I think it’s odd that we have people praising the cost efficiencies of automated trains but then stating a large scale transport police is the answer. 

Because you need policing regardless. Hundreds of incidents on DART despite having gates. Hundreds of incidents on Dublin Bus despite every bus having a driver controlling access.

Hell in places like Brazil, even the buses have gates on the bus, yet they still have ridiculously high crime on the buses including armed stick ups!

The bus and train drivers unions here in Ireland are crying out for policing on public transport, mostly on buses and DARTs and they are both gated systems.

So either way you need policing and will have that cost regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Does playing videos or music on public transport for everyone to hear count as ASB?

To me, it certainly does, and it must be hard to beat DB passengers on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

It’s rude and ignorant but I wouldn’t call it anti-social behaviour. I think it waters town actual anti-social behaviour. Littering could be classed as anti-social behaviour but there’s a world of difference between dropping a wrapper on the ground and smashing a bus window.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

New public transport infrastructure should not include ticket gates, it's an obsolete concept that only serves to increase commute times. Amsterdam is obsessed with enforcing the tickets and it has resulted in an inefficient system with multi door vehicles only operating a single door and a quarter of a tram carriage being taken up with a mobile staffed ticket office, ridiculous set up and they justify it with pointing to anti social behaviour, it's silly there and it'd be silly here too.

Talking about NYC and LA is a pointless comparison, you're talking about heavily armed population with enforced grinding poverty and basically no access to health or education for a third of the population, its an apple's and oranges comparison to a relatively peaceful country with little violent crime and a police force that doesnt even carry weapons. We live in a relative utopia by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Melbourne ended up having to give free travel on trams in the city centre because getting passengers to tag-on at entry was slowing boarding so much the tram timetable broke down completely. Now you board without tapping and only have to tap your card when you leave the free central zone.

A barrier-free system like Luas wouldn't have cost them much more, would have saved the same amount of time, but even with evasion, it wouldn't have cost the amount of revenue lost by not charging for use of the busiest part of the network.

Munich's entire transport network (bus, tram, U-Bahn and commuter rail) is barrier-free. Yes, that does mean people are travelling without paying (as a daily commuter I was checked only every eight to ten weeks), but the system still works well, and the low friction of getting on a tram/bus/train encourages people to use transpirt, and pay for it with fixed monthly tickets. In every system that adopted barrier-free ticketing there's an unspoken acceptance that the revenue lost to evasion is more than made up for by the improvent in throughput and punctuality, which in turn drives ridership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

That’s very useful thank you. Great to visualise what it would look like.

had a discussion at lunch today in work and the amount of negativity and ignorance about this project t is astounding. They need to start a bit of PR on this project t.

one member is a member of a certain political party and was pedalling the whole well the luas to finglas is only a few km away and then they could easily run it to the airport. Jesus wept

NYC and LA ASB is not related to guns ffs. There’s differences but that’s a frankly ridiculous comparison.

It is only obsolete for transport engineers and head in the sand types.

It is obsolete, it achieves nothing and impedes passenger movement and therfore capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I dont think you can blame people for being ignorant to ML when its been chopped and changed and delayed and is still over a decade away. (based on current projections, which are bound to slip again, as they always do)

In short, unless someone is really interested in PT in the city, Metro Link is just too far away to care about and doesnt enter peoples thinking as far as transport around the city is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

ML really hasn't been chopped and changed, the route has largely been the same for many years, just some adjustments at particular stations.

If the complaint is that it is still over a decade away, talking about extending the Luas from Finglas is nonsense given Luas won't reach Finglas for several years and ML should start construction before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It’s not just because metrolink may have been tinkered with over the years, it’s because of all that preceded ML.

The luas was supposed to go underground in the CC early in the 2000s but the government backed out of that.

We’ve had DART underground cancelled.

Metro North cancelled.

In the 1970s we had DRRTS (Dublin Rail Rapid Transit Study) which recommended CC underground rail lines which were never built.

Dublin people are just used to these projects being cancelled so why get all excited and trust that this will deliver when you look at the track history (pun intended).

True but I didnt mention the Luas extension to Finglas.

I dont think that extension is of much interest to the general public, unless they live in Finglas.

The bottom line is ML is still a decade away at least, so its not really on most peoples radar.

The tricky part of getting people out of cars is very difficult, when they cant see any major PT improvements coming in the next decade, by which time, Dublin will probably be at 1.7 to 1.8 million population.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Keep in mind that it will start construction well before then and it will be very obvious to everyone that it is underway. You know because of all the big holes in the ground for each station and the portals and cut and cover and above ground works. There will be lots of building sites and construction equipment all over the city for it.

Thankfully we never got the Luas underground, Metrolink will be vastly superior.

Metrolink has replaced MetroNorth. Dart Underground might still happen sometime in the future, DART+ is more important now.

DRRTS was just a study and not in anyway a firm plan. Such studies are important in giving guidance for future firm plans, but they shouldn’t be confused with actual ongoing projects.

Yeah but the point being we’ve been talking about this since the 1970s- 50+ years and we haven’t a shovel in the ground yet and won’t for another 5 years in the best case scenario.

By anyone’s standards- that’s piss poor and probably why people aren’t really getting too interested in the whole thing- they’ll believe it when they see it kinda thing.

The Luas was never planned to go underground. The harebrained idea from the Progressive Democrats that it should be changed to run underground in the city centre is what delayed the project by two years while consultants were brought in and gathered evidence to show what everyone knew: that it was a harebrained idea.

As pointed out above there have been plans/studies to put underground rail running through the CC since the 70s and we haven’t broke ground on any of them since.

Piss poor.

But we do need an underground network. That part is true.

Single lines here and there only benefit the few and do not foster a move away from cars.

There are really only 2 options to make the city mobile.

An underground or a ban on cars within the canals.

Its likley neither will happen within the next 20 yrs.

IF it is built to this schedule (which is unlikley) people will start to notice it.

I just have no faith in it not being further delayed and its still only one aspect of the greater plan.

We need an underground network. Not a single up and down line and if we ever get an underground network, it will be after we are all buried and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Quick, tell the Germans all their stadtbahn tunnels are harebrained. They dream of luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We will get an underground network - I guarantee that before ML is opened that TII will be doing initial consultations on a route for the 2nd line.

However the idea that a single line only benefits a few is nonsense. Complete BS. ML route was specifically chosen as it benefits so many. And with a park & ride off the M1 it couldnt be better at catering for the majority of commuters driving down the M1 every morning. It will be transformative as only a single line, a 2nd or 3rd line wont have nearly the same benefit as this 1st planned one will.

Except you’re wrong. The detail is there internationally. For the few Nordic countries you want to swoon over, there’s fare gates going up and being improved elsewhere.

Public order is not “obsolete”, no matter what some model says. This is the real world, not a personal train set.

I think we’ll have a second line underway construction wise before the first one is finished.

It inevitable because the city is grinding to a halt. People love their cars too much and I think the car manufacturers are going to get there on sustainability. We’re going to be in a constantly battle with car users still.

They didn't start with tunnels, though: the underground sections were added much later to fill gaps in what were dense, well-established tram networks, as an alternative to building a separate, more expensive metro to shadow those existing routes. If Dublin had kept its own tram lines running through the 20th century, this may have happened here too, but Dublin is a very difficult city to tunnel underneath, and it really only became feasible to tunnel under Dublin from the late 1980s with the advent of automated tunnel-boring machines.

But if you're starting from scratch with a tram system, deciding just before procurement to investigate running parts of it underground is harebrained. That's not an argument against Dublin having a metro, it's an argument for Dublin having a metro, but a proper one, designed as such.

Ah come on, we were completely broke in the 70's and 80's and only start to slowly come out of that in the 90's, there was no way we could have afforded the underground during those decades. Hell we were lucky that we even got the DART during those decades and that cost relatively nothing. The government refused to finance the DART and Irish Rail went and got financing for it themselves!

It was a nice plan, but frankly given our finances it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

My criticism would be that in the 2000's when we were doing such a great job building the intercity motorway network, that we didn't take a more 50/50 approach of motorways/public transport and start on Luas and Metro earlier.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as pissed of as anyone at the delays over the past ten years, the recession really set us back, but it is complete revisionist bullshit to say there were any real firm projects to build an underground 50 years ago. Really Metro North was the first true underground project and plan.

Well in order to get a network, you have to start by building the first line!

Also I'd reject the idea that MetroLink won't give us a network, it is very much the key missing part of our transport network that will help tie it all together. It is absolutely vital to help make the new western DART+ lines work with the Glasnevin interchange and connection at Tara St, connections to both Luas lines too and intersecting most of the orbital and radial BusConnects route. It will basically tie all our different transport networks together.

Sure, that isn't all "Underground", but it doesn't have to be, keep in mind that the majority of the London Underground is actually above ground! You go underground where needs be, but stay above ground where you can.

But having said that, my expectation is that ML will open to being a massive success and there will be calls for new lines all over the city. And that even before this I expect the ML planners to have already moved onto extensions and new lines.

These are the obvious things I see happening:

• Green Line Metro Upgrade
    • Extend ML line north of Swords toward Rush and Lusk to integrate with Northern line.
    • Metro West back on the table
    • Second Metro line or spur South West.

Sorry but there is no evidence of ticket barriers adding any benefit internationally except in the USA and developing world, its obsolete in countries like Ireland.

@bk - I agree that once Metrolink opens, there will be public pressure for more of it. Sadly, precedent is against such optimism: the public was very much in favour of more Luas too, but we're still looking at the same two lines, albeit with significant extensions.

For Metro, I would hope that a second line gets started as soon as possible, rather than any extensions of the first, or conversions of Green line from Luas to Metro (the case for that is still weak - maybe in 20 years it might make sense, but it doesn't today). And while I'm dreaming, it would be nice if politicians stopped thinking of DART, Metro and Luas as competitors for the same job: each mode has its strengths and weaknesses.

At this stage, might it be better for you to start a new thread if you want to keep discussing it?

For Metrolink the decision has already been made, it will be gateless, end of story and it is too late to change it (not that I think it should be changed).

• Advertisement

Well Luas is a bit different, there isn’t any obvious easy extra Luas lines. Most of the lines they have looked at either have had relatively poor CBA’s or would be too slow and probably would be better as a Metro line.

I get the feeling that the NTA/TII want to focus on getting Metrolink built and then build on that, with more Metro lines rather than more brand new Luas lines n the future. We have all seen the limitations of the capacity of Luas and I think they don’t want to repeat that, understandably.

At one stage they actually considered building Metrolink as a Luas that went underground in the city center. It was rejected as it would be much lower capacity than Metro.

So I think of ML as a natural evolution of Luas, rather then a purely separate system, sort of like they are building extra lines by building ML, just to a much higher standard, if that makes interest.

For instance a future Metro West could be Metro or could be Luas, both are possibilities for the route and there are some interesting questions that fall out of that.

For Metro, I would hope that a second line gets started as soon as possible, rather than any extensions of the first, or conversions of Green line from Luas to Metro (the case for that is still weak - maybe in 20 years it might make sense, but it doesn't today)

The thing is an extension would be so quick, easy and cheap to do, while a second underground tunnel would take much longer to build and plan.

I look at it more like a bridge between finishing ML and starting a second line, they could have the planners and crews who worked on ML go straight into the extension project and then straight into a second tunnel project when it is ready.

Kind of keep a pipeline of projects going in the same way the intercity motorway building had, where you build up expertise and keep people working, rather then have a project finish and then lose all the staff to other international projects because you have nothing for them to do.

Of course whatever makes the most sense for the planners.

Advertisement