Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

What a day. We found out that Harrys phone was hacked years ago when it was a common gutter journo tactic which targeted anyone it could. Tom Bradby got an award for interviewer of the year for his grilling of Harry last January 😀

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Oh and btw -I see you’re using the “can you give me links” lark - sorry sunshine go annoy another sucker with your poor attempts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Can all the members of the Piers Morgan Appreciation Society please stand up?

I'm at a bit of a loss here, if we're not supposed to be RF fans we're PM fans. It's hard to keep up as we're apparently all rather fickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

That is a reasonable request to know what proof you have that Scobie isn't a reliable witness because as far as I know in the law courts, a judge found him to be credible and didn't find Piers Morgan (of tabloid media) to be credible. I just want a credible testimony that Scobie isn't credible. I've produced a judge's opinion, surely you can produce someone other than the likes of Piers Morgan?

No it’s not- it’s the oldest trick in the book repeated ad-nauseum on this thread and others by certain posters - it’s complete bollox is what it is

• Advertisement

It's like people can't believe that Morgan is a world class berk/see you next tuesday while also believing that when it comes to H&M and specifically their hypocrisies he's been spot on. I suppose that makes him a suppressive person for Brand Sussex because he certainly hasn't been shy in taking any chance he can get to stick the boot in. I guess in the end if people are in the discomfiting position of agreeing with Piers bloody Morgan about two people then those two people have quite a PR problem. In the logic of some on this thread then agreement about one niche topic equates to blanket support.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

it’s complete bollox is what it is

Do you have a source for that? 🤣

The judge is ruling on that particular and specific case and his finding is that Scobie is, based on his testimony in that particular and specific case, a credible witness i.e. his evidence, based on assessing other related evidence, didn't contradict his evidence and so it was accepted. He is credible. While working at MGN Scobie said he heard Morgan and a journo discussing a story about Kylie Minogue, a story which was written by that same journo who was subsequently known for using phone hacks as his sources. Was the Kylie story from a phone hack. Likely. Was an intern able to listen to an editor and a journo talking about that same story. Also likely.

The judge didn't accept that the editor of the Mirror didn't know about hacking at that paper. Morgan would be pretty crap at his job if he didn't know that and since he isn't stupid then for the judge feels he isn't credible.

Do you think the above redeems Scobies integrity?

Post edited by valoren on

Found an overview of his cases for reference.

• Advertisement

Here is the reference to them from the BBC Court report. Although the BBC isn't what it used to be, it probably still does accurate court reporting.

King Charles tried to stop the Duke of Sussex taking legal action against newspapers over alleged phone-hacking, court papers claim.

Just for the record, H&M were in Canada/US for 15 months and no one heard a word from them. The reason they gave the Oprah interview was because the British press wouldn't leave them alone and they are the ones who couldn't stop talking about them. They gave one interview to Oprah to challenge all the fake spin stories that the British press kept spinning 15 months after they had stepped down as so called working royals.

I discovered something of interest the other day - in the US, media will not pay for interviews - its a code of practice. This explains how Meghan's father and sister only give interviews to the British and Australian press - because they get paid for them.

Why can't you give links? Is it because they come from the British gutter press?

So, in short - the judge believed Scobie and he didn't believe Morgan (who couldn't deny it because he would have been lying under oath).

I'd admire Scobie - not easy what he did as a working journalist who will probably be blacklisted by many of the British editors because he blew the whistle on Morgan & Co. And we can see now how he is being attacked and his name blackened in the British gutter press. That takes guts.

Translation: Father tells his son to take the 400k he was offered in settlement and to not go wrestling pigs in the mud.

Maybe Charles should have just called off the dogs and make the press leave Meghan alone and they wouldn't have the problem of a rabid press who just could not contain themselves when it came to a multiracial member of the royal family (except with Phil the Greek).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,617 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Why do they continue to cosplay royalty when they found freedom from it years ago? Maybe if they sank into obscurity, we could be free of them, too.

Article by the excellent Hilary Rose in the Times

Christmas is coming, the sky in Montecito is blue and the latest issue of the Hollywood Reporter will make some people choke on their turkey. Running down its list of the year’s biggest losers, the industry bible alights on the couple once known as Their Royal Highnesses and now struggling to become known as anything else.

It’s a review of their 2023. But I doubt it was rushed out with the haste that Archewell’s video of 2023, apparently due out in January, following Catherine’s visit to a Baby Bank with her children. That gets a mention in Hilary Rose’s piece

The couple have, however, released a slick one-minute video about Archewell’s “impact” in 2023, an impact that seems mainly to be measured in smoky eye make-up and group hugs.

http://archive.today/aAYPA

Post removed. I should read the thread more closely!

Post edited by Karppi on

• Advertisement

I know little of Scobie, I haven't read any of his books, but I admire him for giving evidence in a court of law bearing in mind the deluge of abuse he is getting for it and which actually means that he will never be employed by any newspaper again in the UK because he blew the whistle on Piers Morgan in particular.

Thanks for this. However, it doesn’t seem to link to a threat to remove security. You said;

Harry contends that the reason his security was withdrawn was due to influence by the press who were trying to prevent him from sueing the newspapers for unlawful information gathering. Just so you know, he says that he was told by his father that his security would be withdrawn if he continued sueing the press.

Have I missed something?

Why? Because Charles is in bed with the same pigs? Charles is a coward.

It was discussed a lot at the time (but not in the gutter press - Murdock owned right wing medi broadsheets such as The Times (and Telegraph). Sky were doing a lot of reporting at the time as well. The timing of when it all happened is telling.

What I couldn't understand is how Charles took back everything that the dying Queen had given Harry (including his military titles). What a hold the press must have on him and William.

If you want the full story about all of this, Byline Times does a lot of really good digging (they outed Dan Wootoon on what he was up to).

It wasn't just a threat, it actually happened. The reason why it happened was because Harry refused to back down from sueing the various gutter press for all the **** things that they do to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, Harry bullshitting and trying to fool folks into believing that he’d ever need to even think about finances. Trying to make out he’s no different than the average Joe. Absolute bull.

The royals are institutional public servants. Money is “beneath” them.

anyone even entertaining the idea of Charles getting out his cheque book and handing out gifts and loans is ludicrous. And Harry’s nonsense of being “financially cut off” is more nonsense. Nothing more than having a dig at his family

even Harry leaving the institution (can never really leave anyway) has no financial repercussions. Harry is still a prince and his children have royal titles.

What I couldn't understand is how Charles took back everything that the dying Queen had given Harry (including his military titles)

Looks like the late Queen took them back

https://www.royal.uk/buckingham-palace-statement-duke-and-duchess-sussex#

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family. 

Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service. The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.

That was Feb. 2021 - a year after most of this happened. They had been cut off about a year earlier.

Anyway, I've got a link to the full investigation of Byline Times which includes times and dates, infor of William meeting the gutter press etc.

“And then detailed intelligence had come up to suggest Wootton was paying the partner of a Kensington Palace official, who had a lot of access, for stories about his family. Harry seemed pretty determined to get to the bottom of it.

“A view was quickly taken within the royal households that everything needed to be brought under control. The removal of the transition funding, which Prince Charles knew was his son’s only lifeline to keeping safe, was considered a very effective way of trying to bring Harry and Meghan to heel in the UK. But it didn’t work.”

https://bylinetimes.com/2023/12/09/the-truth-about-megxit-how-dan-wootton-and-a-cash-for-leaks-scandal-split-the-royal-family/

• Advertisement

Fascinating, thank you, I've read it once and will think on about it. One quick thought is that there's a paradox in financial terms between the £700k funding that Charles stopped, which seems to have forced Harry to seek commercial income to cover the costs of security at £3m. Where was the £2.3m difference to come from? It's a small point and I'm keeping an open mind about who did what to whom, why and when.

Advertisement