Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If I recall correctly, The Family Home Protection Act, 1976 is based on a married family. (Unless it has been amended recently).

In other words, a house lived in by a married couple, is a family "home" and has the protection of the Act, in the event of a marriage breakdown.

If lived in by an unmarried couple,even those with children, it is not a family home and not covered by the same legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think there was something in the cohabitation bill passed a few years back, but if it offers the same protection, I don't know.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nah, doesn’t come close to it, because the property can’t be regarded as a family home.

In the last couple of pages though there’s been a lot of focus on the idea of one-income married couples vs two-income unmarried couples, but at it’s inception, the Irish Constitution was very much influenced by Catholic social teaching in which a couple got married for the purposes of procreation - the woman would rear the children and be confined to the domestic life, and the man would provide for his family.

The EU wanted to become an economic superpower with a mobile workforce, and gender equality was part of that - the idea being that whether or not they were married, whether or not they had children, member states were expected to have achieved 60% participation rate of women in the labour market by 2010. Various initiatives in taxation and welfare were introduced in order to achieve this aim, it was never about discriminating against married couples or unmarried couples, it was focused on achieving gender equality in employment.

Obviously, real life doesn’t work like that, and like you pointed out earlier - Ireland historically failed to invest in the provision of childcare, which meant that the poorest in Irish society, most often one parent families (which in Irish law weren’t regarded as a family), were forced into what’s called ‘in-work poverty’ - sure, they were women in employment, but it was often low-paid, and wasn’t made up for in welfare payments, and between those factors it meant the outcomes for those families is generational poverty, lack of access to education, healthcare, security and social mobility -

https://archive.ph/xLnro

https://commission.europa.eu/system/files/2020-06/european-semester_thematic-factsheet_labour-force-participation-women_en_0.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

Over the last few days I have done a bit of research and, to be honest, it is even less clear what implications the change in wording will have. For the moment I am just concentrating on single parent families as they represent the greater number of families who are currently not considered a Constitutional family.

The confusion over the meaning of the proposed wording change to include "durable relationships" was discussed in the Dail. Holly Cairns kind of summed up the general confusion regarding the new terminology:

"However, to be certain, can the Minister confirm on the record that the definition of family proposed to be inserted into the Constitution and the term "durable relationships" is being interpreted as including lone parents and single-parent families? What exactly is being defined as a durable relationship under the law? For example, at what point does a couple in a relationship come under the protection of Article 41? What are the implications for the application of taxation policy, social welfare payments, joint income assessments, succession, family law and mortgages, to name just a few areas?"

https://www.oireachtas.ie/ga/debates/debate/dail/2023-12-14/37/

During the same discussion Minister O'Gorman appeared to be taking the view that the courts will decide what it means despite TD Catherine Connolly, a barrister, saying "the word "durable" will lead to serious difficulties in interpretation".

TD Jennifer Carroll MacNeill commented "It is exciting to tease it out and determine what we mean and do not mean". If those in government don't know what they mean how are the public expected to know?

As it stands at the moment the government could hand out a blank piece of paper to the voting public and ask them to write yes or no on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But they have no rights under the Family Home Protection Act. Their claim has to be based on a direct or indirect financial contribution made to the acquisition of the property.

During the same discussion Minister O'Gorman appeared to be taking the view that the courts will decide what it means despite TD Catherine Connolly, a barrister, saying "the word "durable" will lead to serious difficulties in interpretation".

Roderic’s not exactly wet behind the ears when it comes to law either -

He completed an undergraduate law degree at Trinity College Dublin, followed by a Master of Laws in European Union (EU) law in the London School of Economics. In 2011 he completed his PhD, with a dissertation entitled 'Union citizenship, social rights and the Marshallian approach', at Trinity College Dublin.

O'Gorman started an academic career at Griffith College, where he lectured and was a course director for five years. He next worked as a law lecturer in the School of Law and Government at Dublin City University. He served as the programme chair of the Bachelor of Arts in Economics, Politics and Law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roderic_O%27Gorman

Catherine Connolly was definitely quoting selectively in order to suggest that there would be any difficulty in the Courts interpreting the meaning of the term ‘durable relationship’ within the context in which it is intended for the purposes of recognising a familial relationship other than that which is founded upon marriage. Ms Justice Baker didn’t have any difficulty in doing so -

Ms Justice Baker said the Regulations permit a plain reading and do not lack clarity or sufficient precision.

https://archive.ph/3k5HL

It’s why in his response, Roderic makes it clear that it will be at the discretion of the Courts to determine whether or not a durable relationship exists between the parties involved, and the extent of that relationship based upon the evidence presented in each case. The Courts do that anyway, such as in this instance -

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/child-born-through-surrogacy-denied-citizenship-via-non-biological-irish-father-1473179.html

So we have both a barrister and a law lecturer both unable to define "durable relationship". Relying on future courts to figure out the meaning of what you are proposing is not a good starting position to be in when trying to convince people to vote in favour of anything.

The link you provided regarding Ms Justice Baker did not clarify if a durable relationship includes single parent families. Quite the opposite in fact as per the full quote from Justice Baker:

"Ms Justice Baker said the Regulations permit a plain reading and do not lack clarity or sufficient precision.

The word “partner” denotes a person with whom the Union citizen has a connection which is personal in nature and akin to, or broadly akin to, marriage, she said.

“Durable” does not mean “permanent” but rather a relationship which has continued for some time and to which the parties are committed, with an intent and hope the relationship will continue for the foreseeable future."

The second link is related to a citizenship issue concerning a non resident married couple. They would be considered a constitutional family if they were resident in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

Neither Catherine nor Roderic demonstrated any difficulty in interpreting the meaning of durable within the context in which it is used. Catherine was even aware in making her point that it would cause confusion for the Courts, that she was presenting the term out of context, and Roderic corrected her on it. It’s there in the transcript you provided.

The conditions which Ms Justice Baker was referring to are found here:

You must be in a position to provide evidence of a durable relationship with your partner and evidence of cohabitation of at least two years on the date of application. Evidence that you and your partner have visited each other as often as you can during this two-year period will not be sufficient in itself to demonstrate a committed de facto relationship.

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/my-situation-has-changed-since-i-arrived-in-ireland/de-facto-partner-of-an-irish-or-non-eea-national/

And as Ms Justice Baker pointed out, the man and his legal advisers had no difficulty understanding what evidence was required to demonstrate a durable relationship or a committed de facto relationship:

Documents furnished by the man tended to show he and his legal advisers had no difficulty in discerning what types of proof was required to meet the test in the Regulations, she said.

There was no confusion or difficulty of the Courts either in understanding the intent and meaning of the term ‘father’ in the second case relating to citizenship. What was at issue wasn’t whether or not they were or weren’t a family, the issue is that their son isn’t an Irish citizen, he didn’t qualify because while one of his fathers was recognised in English law as being his parent, Irish law doesn’t recognise such provisions as are provided for in English law, and therefore the Minister was correct in denying the application for an Irish passport.

It’s also why in that case the Courts also pointed out that they don’t make the laws, they can only interpret and apply existing laws - making laws is a function of the Oireachtas, something to do with the Separation of Powers, a legal concept which Catherine Connolly at least is no doubt familiar with, while attempting to maintain that the Courts would have any difficulty in performing one of their functions. My point was to demonstrate that they have no difficulty in doing so, nor does Catherine Connolly, nor does the Irish Government.

Personally, I’d have gone with ‘enduring relationships’ as opposed to ‘durable relationships’ (nothing more than personal preference), save Catherine the confusion of imagining anyone might be referring to a battery in any context in which she tried to present it, but that’s not an overwhelming obstacle that couldn’t be overcome if they weren’t purposely intending to take the term out of context to claim anyone else but themselves would be confused by it’s use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Presumably this expanded definition would also include polygamous marriages?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

And people "married" to their pets, no doubt..

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I wouldn't worry about that - we don't usually pay for other people's pets' retirement or health plans.

We don’t pay at all for other people’s spouses retirement or health plans either, nor their education or family planning decisions for that matter. There’s no suggestion that the State be required to recognise other forms of marriage, just other forms of the family for the same purposes as are formed by marriage. Education, for example -

The State acknowledges that the primary and natural educator of the child is the Family and guarantees to respect the inalienable right and duty of parents to provide, according to their means, for the religious and moral, intellectual, physical and social education of their children.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en/html#article41

I don’t imagine there are that many people will get their knickers in a twist about the State providing for family planning methods either without requiring wives to get permission from their husbands, or those methods being available to persons who aren’t married -

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/ce3ad-minister-for-health-announces-that-free-contraception-is-now-available-for-17-30-year-olds/

The problem arises as to how a single parent family will become a Constitutional family by the inclusion of "durable relationship" alongside marriage as the basis of the family. The definitions provided so far are for a "durable partnership" i.e two people in a committed relationship per your quote:

"You must be in a position to provide evidence of a durable relationship with your partner and evidence of cohabitation of at least two years on the date of application."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Heard Brenda Power on the radio the other day giving her reasons for voting no. I’m assuming the other “usual suspects” are against the referendum as well.

More than enough reasons to be voting in favour of it when it rolls around.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

What problem? A relationship between parents and their children is considerably more durable than one founded on marriage. I mean, yes, a child could pursue emancipation when they’re 18, and that would be akin to divorce (which prior to the 15th amendment was prohibited for being legislated for by the Constitution - marriage was for life!).

You’re making out like it wasn’t confirmed by Roderic that the proposed amendment does include Constitutional recognition of one parent families -

The amendment proposed here will have the effect of granting the protections currently available to marital families to a wider cohort of family arrangements such as single parents and their children and unmarried cohabiting couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

So an "unintended" consequence of this would be that every Mary and pat from Kandahar to ramallah could claim to be "durable family" , you can't make this **** up.

His aspiration is that the proposed change of wording will include one parent families. Nowhere can it be found that a "durable relationship" in either EU or Irish law describes a parent/child relationship. He quite clearly says that the word "durable" in Irish law may differ in definition from EU law which sounds potentially quite problematic:

"The definition of "durable" that we are seeking to put into the Irish Constitution is not influenced by the EU law definition of "durable....There is that term "durable" in European law but Irish constitutional law can have a different meaning."

And interpretation of that meaning is left to the discretion of the Courts which, in their deliberations on any particular matters before them, will review what Roderic intended in the proposed amendment; precisely as is being suggested - the recognition and inclusion of the non-marital family where it wasn’t recognised before in the Constitution. It’s because they weren’t recognised as a family that it’s been problematic in the past, and the meaning of durable relationships in that context is to distinguish those relationships from transient relationships.

Previously in the Courts they would have been regarded as a de facto family, based upon the relationship between the parties involved, but because the concept of the defacto family doesn’t exist in Irish law, they did not have the same recognition as the Family founded upon marriage. They’re not creating any new problems with the proposed amendment, they’re just tidying up the problems caused by the lack of references or recognition in Irish law to families which are not founded on marriage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"As it stands at the moment the government could hand out a blank piece of paper to the voting public and ask them to write yes or no on it."

Yep, that's about it - asking the public to buy a pig in a poke. The public are not easily fooled though and will smell the rat.

Listen, if the usual anti-progression crowd are against this, a majority will vote for it. The likes of Brenda Power and Aontu are perfect bellwethers for something like this. I'll always vote the opposite way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What an odd way to choose how to vote, have you no mind of yer own? But then as we see from other threads, there are those happy to join the baying mob, shout down any dissenting voices and then wonder why no-one will debate them ;)

They're bellwethers. I will never agree with her or them. It's that simple. They're regressive Christians and I have absolutely zero in common with them.

I'm sure there are many, many progressives out there that you feel the same way about.

Ivana Bacik said during the Dail debate that O'Gorman is trying to introduce a new concept into the Irish Constitution - that of "Durable Relationship". He has already said that his proposed definition of "durable" will differ from the EU law definition of "durable".

Ivana Bacik, Holly Cairns, Catherine Connolly and every other female TD who spoke during the Dail debate took issue with the term "durable relationship". Roderick is a man though, he knows best and they are only silly women who just don't understand!!!!

Ivana has said that the Labour Party are reserving their right as to what position they will take regarding the proposed changes so hopefully some clarity will appear when they publish their decision. I'll wait for that before I comment more on what an Irish Durable Relationship (as opposed to an EU Durable Relationship) potentially means.

As I said from my first post here what I want to see clearly is how the proposed changes will finally allow a single parent family, headed by either a man or woman, the Constitutional protection and rights currently held by a married family.

As I said from my first post here what I want to see clearly is how the proposed changes will finally allow a single parent family, headed by either a man or woman, the Constitutional protection and rights currently held by a married family.

You won’t see them, because that’s not what’s being proposed. The proposed wording doesn’t equate families without distinction as to their marital status, which is why Ivana and many other politicians and civil society groups have their reservations about the proposed wording - precisely because it’s a significant departure from the recommendations and wording which was suggested by the Citizens Assembly and the Joint Oireachtas Committee:

The State pledges to guard with special care the family, including but not limited to the marital family

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/33/joint_committee_on_gender_equality/reports/2022/2022-07-13_interim-report-on-constitutional-change_en.pdf

That would have equated families regardless of their marital status, but, and this is obviously deliberate - instead Government (and not just Roderic, let’s not be silly) have decided that mere recognition of non-marital relationships is all that’s required to recognise those family units not bonded by marriage. Marriage maintains its special status in the Constitution.

That’s why I have my reservations about the proposed wording too, because I don’t see it as being anything other than symbolic, and not symbolic in a good way, but rather a reminder that all families are not of equal status in Irish law, the Family is still primarily based on marriage, and the outcome of the referendum either way changes nothing, because it doesn’t introduce anything meaningful and there’s no proposed legislation which would mean anything is any different. It’s a bit like being expected to be thankful for a shìtty Christmas present 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So why not just get married in a civil ceremony?

Can someone on the anti-marriage side give some concrete reasons as to why a co-habiting couple wouldnt want to get married?

Advertisement