Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prime Time Gender Issues (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe you should be finding the stats before concern trolling about non existent surgeries?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Doesn’t/didn’t Tavistock facilitate the path to surgeries for some young people? Correct me if I’m wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's really not more complex

"Reducing" trans people is about eliminating them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The argument is completely stupid and silly. Having a trans parent doesn't mean the parent is going to make their child trans.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I think you have completely and intensionally misrepresented and misquoted what was said ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

There's definitely a distinct lack of intelligence regarding those who throw around the "transphobe" slur at anyone who doesn't 100% go along with their ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Reducing has a totally different meaning to eliminating, so you were telling an untruth about Helen Joyce.

One year ago ......

https://youtu.be/uT8OL9rA6LE?si=QkFAQlLFPjqfQFmd

Helen Joyce is talking about "reducing" trans people there literally can be no other conclusion than she wants trans people eliminated. Helen Joyce is repeating rabid crazed anti senitic conspiracies about Jews. Helen Joyce is stamping on pride flags. She just isn't a rational voice on this.

Terry Pratchet

Where in that post did I say or even indicate that? What a daft response to my post 🤷‍♀️

• Advertisement

Oh OK. So you are just guessing and don't have a clue then!

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

I am perfectly willing to be corrected on and informed of facts. I think that is very clear throughout my posting. I don’t resort to infantile name calling or measures as a method to try and close down a discussion where I can be better informed about what is happening in society.

The typical move of someone who has no coherent argument

Those of us in the better know here, who may have direct or indirect lived experience (eg of a friend), do please correct anything you might find incorrect or offensive etc with good factual information, because most of us want to gain a better understanding from those at the coal face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Is there a reason why you chose to ignore the reply I made to you about your claims about Helen Joyce and instead to join in to a different post to someone else (about surgery) and reply to that as though it had been about Helen Joyce?

For clarity, here's what I said to you about Helen Joyce:

So if I said I wanted to reduce rates of disability in Ireland, you'd think that meant I wanted to kill disabled people? Like the Nazis?

TBF that's pretty much the argument of anti choicers against allowing couple to terminate pregnancies of disabled fetuses - is that what you believe? That they want to murder the disabled?

Could you reply to that instead of to something completely different please?

Thanks.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Did you miss this bit of the article?

there would be no change in the Irish model of care “pending the outcome” of discussions with the HSE about the new recommendations.

Could you please actually find some evidence before, not after, throwing out claims like this?

It means the same as reducing the number of people with disabilities. Does that mean the person wants to kill people with disabilities?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

The first incorrect information that you've repeated multiple times is the suggestion that Irish children are having surgery. It's hard to see your good faith in this discussion when you keep repeating this with zero evidence.

I ask you respectfully to stop resorting to this type of belligerent name-calling type of response, you rely on it way too much. I do appreciate when you post articles though.

Except that being trans isn't like being disabled. You don't become trans after a car crash or after acquiring a life threatening condition.

It's a fundamental part of a person's nature. How do you reduce trans people?

Just for that argument very many disabled people are born that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

How about if she said reducing the number of gay people. The term really has to be explained better than a single sentence. Does she think therapy will dissuade people that they want a sex change?

People are born disabled too though. It's not always acquired.

Anyway, since a large part of the debate is about access to specifically-required healthcare, it's far more like being disabled than it is like, say, being gay. Being gay just requires everybody else to leave you alone. Being trans usually requires lifelong drug treatment, and sometimes major surgery.

Given the costs of trans healthcare, it's perfectly reasonable for a country to want to ensure that numbers of trans people are not being artificially increased by, say, treating autistic people with temporary gender dysphoria as trans and setting them on a pathway to lifelong drug treatment and surgery when in fact their autism is simply making adolescence more challenging for them.

So a little more psychological support but NOT affirmation of their "trans" nature might well lead them to desist within a few years (as most children with GD that is not treated with puberty blockers do), numbers of trans people would be reduced, and nobody would die.

How can it be "a fundamental part of someone's nature" when there are transitioners who later detransition? Clearly some people are getting their "inherent nature" wrong?

Also, how does this all fit with the idea of people being "gender fluid"?

Like, if gender is so innate that a male person can "be" female to the extent of needing hormones and surgery to "validate" their "real" gender because gender is a dichotomy, but if people are gender fluid, then it's not really a dichotomy, since people can indeed move about from one to the other. What's their "inherent nature"? Especially as teens, when identity is kind of fluid anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭apache

That was very long winded and didn't raise any points. They never even had a representiative. Poor show from TENI. I think they know it's indefensible.

Gay people don't require drugs and surgery to be gay though, so the comparison doesn't work. That's like saying we should reduce the number of red headed or lefthanded people: I mean - why??

Groups of people who need lifelong and expensive medical care just to remain normally healthy though - yeah, why would a country not want to ensure that numbers of those people weren't being unintentionally increased? Which is exactly the fear about puberty blockers etc: that they're pushing children onto a pathway of drugs etc that they would not otherwise be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

She means reducing the amount of children getting pumped into the Transitioning programmes .....

Too many children being indoctrinated, hence Helens suggestion of reduction, and as previously stated, children's Transitioning has increased at a crazy rate just within the last few years ... many experts put this down to social contagion, spread by social media. Everybody want's to be non binary, or to be the opposite sex, and they're being led to believe that this can actually happen, while Helen Joyce is arguing that they're being fed a lie.

She hasn't said anything controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

She never even alluded to that. That is your extremist interpretation of what she said. The reason you put words into her mouth and refuse to quote her verbaitin is because what she said is reasonable and sensible.

But again the assumption is they are not actually trans and being misdiagnosed. That could have been said for gay people years ago. Are people who don't get surgery still refers to as trans? If so the sentence their numbers should be reduced can be compared to how gay people were thought of years ago by the conservative establishment.

You're proving my point: who needs a "diagnosis" of being gay?

Nobody.

The only reason anyone "needs" a diagnosis of being trans is because they require extra health care. Like someone who's disabled.

So comparing the idea of "reducing numbers" is nothing like reducing numbers of gay or lefthanded or red headed people, it's like reducing numbers of people with a certain disability.

And that's a perfectly reasonable thing for a healthcare system or a government to try to do - without being accused by extremists of wanting to kill the disabled. That's hysterical nonsense, such as we saw with the anti choice brigades about disability and pregnancy terminations.

• Advertisement

They should all get an assessment. Being gay is reasonably clear in that you are sexually/romantically attracted to someone of same sex or if bisexual of people of both sexes. If being gay causes any initial emotional distress that of course should be addressed.

Emotional distress from any cause amounts to a disability, temporary or long term. Any such distress should be addressed. All disabilities need to be reduced in as much as they can be by counselling, medical, surgical means and accommodation and inclusion. I would love my own MS to be reduced, preferably by not eliminating me in the process though.

It didn't used to be seen as clear. It was seen as something that could be solved by conversion therapy.

I'm not against diagnosis of trans people but it you that is supporting the assumption that people are being misdiagnosed. Having disabilities is not a good comparison either so not sure why you are pushing it I thought the phrase of reducing numbers was from an anti trans activists so not from the government anyway. The source of the route can change the meaning of the phrase.

Yes actually I remember that back in the day, but as far as I know it wasn’t practised here or was it? And as far as I understand, in most jurisdictions it was a process you might subject yourself to voluntarily . Again a process at the time with no scientific evidence and proved to be useless. Indeed I’m sure some such practises might still be taking place in certain parts of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure if diagnosis is the proper word here but before affirming care the majority to nearly all youth who went through gender distress worked themselves through it and most figured out they were actually gay. It was only the minority of youth who became trans as adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

My fundamental issue with the whole thing is that it relies on putting people into boxes that fit some stererotypes.

Why cant you just have girls that like "boys" stuff and boys that like "girls" stuff? Why do we suddenly have to decide that they are the wrong gender and some action must be taken?

There arent multiple genders, there are two that correspond to the 2 sexes. I dont a flying continental if you are male and like barbie and dressing up, you are still male. Likewise if you are female and love nothing better than being up to your armpits in an mechanics pit of grease, you are still a woman.

Its actually amazing how backwards the whole trans thing is. Not long ago a male who liked some typically female things would have been called "a fag", now we are saying that they are actually a women in a mans body. No one can explain to me whats wrong with a man liking/enjoying things that aren't uber macho?

You haven't said why it's a bad comparison - I've explained why I think it's a good one.

As for who said it, that's not important, since we're just discussing whether or not it means "eliminating people" as Annasopra claimed, or whether it's similar to saying someone wants to see a reduction in the numbers of people with disabilities. It doesn't have to be official strategy for someone to suggest that maybe it should be.

So when Helen Joyce said that, was she calling for trans people to be eliminated or not? It's obviously totally hysterical to say she was - and someone who insists that's what she was doing is not making a serious case. They're just - well, being hysterical.

To be honest ite a mystery why anyone would qoute her good or bad. She is not an expert or a psychologist but makes grand claims on trans issues.

For any medical condition there will be misdiagnoses medical professionals are only human, so to say you want to reduce diagnoses is such an obvious phrase as to be trite. But if she wants to reduce transitions for properly diagnosed patients then I think can comes across as cruel.

They absolutely are. So how would you reduce the number of people born with disabilities, or the number of people born as trans people?

For most of us its not even in the same continent I'm afraid.

Being gay or bi has zero to do with being trans. T is the worst thing to happen to LGB imo.

Fine that's a reasonable opinion. The claim being made though was that she'd been calling for trans people to be eliminated. That's a lie, or at the very least a hysterical over-interpretation of what she actually said/wants.

Same way as you try to reduce eating disorders, you don't force feed people, you get them to realise that they are not looking at themselves objectively.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement