Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

He looks very overweight and very unfit - not good. He reminds me of that FG supporter who held a number of important international positions - Peter Pendergast I think. He died a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scottser

Did you visit the former Dept of Intelligence building in BudaPest? It's a monument to their disappeared and victims of Soviet repression who were tortured and executed there. Anyone I spoke to hated authoritarianism, as you say, how on earth he got elected is beyond me.

Looking at the scene it looks like a small parish group meeting held by a specific interest group in an Irish context. AREYOU TRYING TO BLOW IT UP AS SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT Eg a gov meeting at national level

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's not uncommon in Ukraine to hear or see some violence involving politicians mostly the odd fisty cuffs but dropping grenades is whole different level of mentalness

Was there a suggestion of a high EU official who heads a dept dealing with managing the process of new countries joining the EU and that person is a Hungarian and was PIcKED BY ORBAN. The work of this person should be examined with a fine tooth comb as he was feeding info to ORBÁN for ORBÁN to make his case and which he was entitled to do. The basis of ORBAN’s stance is ludrocus and the information he has based it on should be examined.

The EU has fired high officials / MP’s in the past for ‘ misbehaving’ if I am right . So the EU , if it has it’s suspicions should examine this official’s work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And have a crowbar under Hungary now. Except don't think there'll be too much gnashing of teeth if it's rooted up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I've seen that Ukraine have started to upgrade their Leopard 1A5s with ERA panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If one Googles land ownership in Hungary it goes down to articles that describe how Orban just recently had state land from the communist times leased to families long term and he used this land to transfer to his supporters who wrongly claimed on paper to be farmers to be granted land from Orban's regime.

He uses a right wing anti refugee anti Europe rhetoric the whole time but with the Common Agricultural Policy from Europe his supporters who were granted land benefit from the subsidies while maybe not even farming the land. Orban's party publicly are anti outsiders buying land but privately has facilitated his supporters selling this granted land to EU land corporations.

His rule seems to be always based on EU as enemies but while financially benefiting himself and his supporters from being in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

On Orban yesterday the Hungarian military took delivery of the latest leopard 2 A7 tanks from Rheinmetall the first of 44 and then it was announced today that Rheinmetall signed a development contract to produce the new Rheinmetal Panther KF51 next generation tank with Hungary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yep, Hungry said they will decipher the design and make their own.

Which obviously means Russia is on top of the whole thing.

What a batshit world we are living in.

I read that a number of them are in a grave condition. The only glimmer of hope is that Ukraine have some of the most experienced trauma doctors in the world right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scottser

He's just old school mafia at heart. No wonder Putin and himself are bessies, they're two cheeks of the same arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

In nearly every quantitive way, the only success the Russian Federation can gleen from their disasterious adventure is that they haven’t been ejected from Ukraine yet.

• The war has exposed them to have an armed forces that were formidable on paper alone, and had only the advantages of numbers of canon fodder, and Soviet surplus weapons to keep the in the game.
    • Their nucular deterrant is looking increasingly theoretic as time passes, and their threats of using them are looking emptier as the months drag on.
    • Finland joined NATO, with Sweden on its way, awarding Putin another “NATO-Lake” against 2 of his main Naval forces…one of which is hiding from the Ukrainians.
    • Russia’s main sources of funding are drying up, and positive financial reports from Russia have a knack of being fiction.
    • Despite stealing children a democratic time-bomb is primed to decimate the Russian population in a way that they are unlikely to recover from.
    • Worst of all, despite all the nonsense with alt-right bell-ends, Russia’s actions have galvanised the Western World against them.

The Mainstream Media haven’t been particularly good at keeping up with this conflict, but those who wish to pay attention can see many of the signs of what is happening in Russia & Ukraine. To dismiss much of this as “MSM Propaganda” does nothing to add to conversation, beyond serving the needs of the Kremlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Lost lives destruction on both sides Russia has not lost ground since the invasion .A pointless war .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Funding has run out for Ukraine so can they continue .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Russia has lost of 50% of the ground they have taken.

It's an old map, just to show the 'russia has not lost ground since the invasion' statement is beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, Hungary would appoint a Commissioner just like the other members, and he would have been chosen by their current govt. Assume/expect he is subject to same scrutiny as the others...!

Don't know anything about him, but he was in the news recently I recall, for spouting out beyond his authority about cancelling all EU aid for Palestinians after Hamas's attack on Israel.

Unfortunately the Orbán govt. will have the same right to a say in what goes on in the EU and to benefit from it as the other members unless/until they are suspended by the rest for breaking the treaties.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The House of Terror? Yes, it was one of the museums I referenced. Did a fantastic Soviet Walking Tour too which was an excellent insight into how badly Hungarians were treated by the USSR. It's absolutely mind-bending that any Hungarian could vote for a Russian lacky.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Its pointless on the Russian side. But Ukraine have to fight to maintain their independence and sovereignty so its worthwhile for them to keep going.

As to whether they can keep going without international funding - yes is the short answer. They were prepared to fight the Russians on their own in 2022. The external funding helped a lot but isnt the main reason why Ukraine are winning (that is due primarily to the Ukrainian peoples willingness to fight).

I dont see funding drying up for 2024, despite the current uncertainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm more interested on what you are reading to lead to a comment like this, some sources would help.

Ukraine are currently well funded, would like more, most of the current debates are about future funds which will be sorted after a bit of political grandstanding.

The question then becomes if you are easily led or trying to mislead others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When someone uses MSM as a pejorative, the answer to your first question is: a bunch of unsubstantiated tattle merchants and echo chambers presumably peddling some tankie perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

You final point about being “easily led or trying to mislead others” is an important point to reflect on. I replied to this pro-Russia supporter on the last page, mostly for the benefit of an uninitiated Boardie stumbling onto that post without context (and being misinformed by it).

I suspected that there was little to no chance of actually arguing a point with them, they appeared to be fully committed to a Kremlin-curated view of Ukraine and their resistance of the Russian invasion. But then, as we often end up discussing to on this thread, the question is; why? Why would users of an Irish discussion board, use their free speech fully support a nation that would strike them down if they dared not to resonate with the Kremlin’s talking points? That is, why would they do this if they weren’t on the Russian Federation’s payroll or otherwise benefiting from a Russian victory in this war?

Some here already have examples of people they know who fit into this mould. Essentially the “anti-imperialist” “anti-western” Edgelord (for want of a better word). Or lately, the pro-Elon / cryto-bro / MAGA / anti-“woke” brigade who see no issue with Russia’s facist nightmare, thanks to their medieval views of women, homosexuals and human rights in general.

So we get drive-by comments in support of Russia, from people who either have no grasp of what this war actually is, or worse, don’t really care about the consequences so long as their worldview is validated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Post edited by Say my name on

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

Or well funded and organised RuSSan propaganda. For example,  thousands of fake TikTok accounts pushed Russian lies to millions.

that are primarily targeting children and young adults. Now factor in everything from Facebook/Instagram, Newspaper comment sections online, to Linkedin and more.

MIT research indicated that the Russian IRA/GRU hit an estimated 140 million Americans a month (360 million world wide, weekly) with their targeted online disinformation and propaganda - on Facebook alone. In the US they specifically target white Christians and black communities on wedge issues such as religion, race, gender and reproductive issues. Obviously, they have branched out to Ukraine, funding, Hunter Biden and Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Before that is was Covid and pushing anti-vax conspiracy. 

They found that the most popular Christian group in America was run by a Russian Gov' troll farm. It's not just online, lets not forget that the most American of American things - the NRA was run as a Russian asset, through Maria Butina and Alexander Torshin.

Usually the ones that dismiss this completely are the ones that consume most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

If the US or the West in general turns its back on Ukraine, then that's pretty much the beginning of the end for Western hegemony.

Now, there's a cohort of people who will say, 'good' in a roundabout way. That the West is decadent or that the Western way isn't the only way of doing things. Maybe liberal democracy has had its time...

But even if these arguments are being made in good faith, they completely overlook the chaos that will unfold as Russia and China realise they can press territorial ambitions with a fundamentally limited pushback, and then the seriousness of the situation becomes awfully real.

And what Russia and China seek to export is authoritarianism, and that is essentially a consolidation of power and wealth for a small core of elites, with reduced hope of social mobility. If someone wants that in their life over what we have here now, then I say to that person "congratulations, you're a complete idiot."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

If they are that convinced about the Russian (and other similarly run societies) they should go, and there for a while. Many moons ago pre-EU days, the saying was " If you are unhappy in the Country, you presently live in, go and live in Russia for a while, and when you get back home, you will be a very happy man / women.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was watching Euronews this morning, Ukrainians on the front line are running low on bullets and quite a few young men who they need to continue the fight are fleeing the country.

Yes one can argue that Russian men are doing the same but I'd imagine it would affect Ukraine more.

His American visit doesn't seemed to have changed the minds of Republicians either and you would wonder how much longer the countries in Europe can afford to keep supplying him with weapons and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It's either supply him or supply themselves in a few years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement