Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Why don't you explain which laws I've ignored?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ollkiller

After getting kidnapped by Hamas and kept in captivity since Oct 07th you manage to escape somehow and finally see your army and call out with a white flag only to get killed by incompetent trigger happy fellow countrymen. Shocking and an insight into their rules of engagement. Shoot anything that moves. Animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"think" and "may" are the operative words in your first sentence. Unfortunately, the accusations being thrown around on here are not couched in those terms.

As for the "terrorist state", again an online encyclopedia definition carries no legal weight, especially when it references only the first part of your accusation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It was a horrible thing to happen those poor men, but it may start to become the tipping point for global opinion....people starting to realise that that Israel and the IDF may be as bad as or even worse than Hamas and very far from the 'good guys'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Israel pushing Qatar for opening ceasefire talks again but Hamas remain opposed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

At the very least it makes clear for everyone how questionable the claims of 7000 dead Hamas members are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,809 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Does the Geneva convention carry legal weight, in your view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I might be missing something here but if Israel want a ceasefire surely they could just stop attacking and tell Hamas they won't attack again unless attacked?

I can understand the need for a mediator for talks but calling a ceasefire isn't dependent on both sides agreeing to it.

Or am I bring naive?

Hamas will keep attacking even if israel stops shooting. It will keep stealing aid. Killing any Palestinian who speaks out against them.

Both sides have to take the finger off the trigger and Hamas need more encouragement on that front.

That post contained no links or quotes explaining on what basis it was being made. Likely based on just noise from a a pro-Israel commentator somewhere to distract from them killing the same hostages they've been using to justify their butchering of the last 2 months.

This is from the BBC two days ago.

Israel says Gaza war to continue 'with or without' international support

As pressure grows on Israel over the huge number of Palestinians being killed by its military in Gaza and a worsening humanitarian crisis in the territory, Foreign Minister Eli Cohen said the war against Hamas would continue, with or without international support.

Doesn't sound like looking for a ceasefire to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭brickster69

Of course Hamas are going to keep fighting till the end, what do you expect them to do get out the white flag and surrender ? After today's latest war crime who in their right mind would consider surrendering now.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Remind us, how many Israeli's have been killed by Hamas since the ground invasion of Gaza and how many Israel's have the IDF killed in the same period?

I count 3 civilians killed by Hamas vs 4 killed by the IDF (open to correction, but mental stat if true)

So this Israel being under imminent threat of attack or fighting for their existence tripe just doesn't hold up with the Israeli civilian death stat.

Israel could easily stop bombing Gaza, declare a pause in bombing for say 2 days and really put the international pressure on Hamas to follow suit. As I said, Israel can do that and not risk their country being overrun by Hamas.

Hamas will keep rebuffing Israeli peace hopes as they need to keep food aid at bay. To make the situation worse. As Lenin said the worse the better.

The harder Israel fight now. The quicker normality can be restored and food aid get to the people who need it instead of Hamas coffers.

Hamas jihadis are continuing to surrender in large numbers and that is only speeding up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,961 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

An official IDF spokesman explained yesterday that the Israelis were shot on sight (i.e summarily executed) because they were dressed like civilians.

And I'm not even taking the pi$s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,064 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The IDF are either shooting on sight at anything that moves and have carte blanche to do so or are losing far more soldiers than they are admitting and have become very edgy and fearful. They are in the rubble of the city where Hamas wanted them.

Absolute cognitive dissonance on display here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Sean Bell on sky news talking about gunshots typically have a 15% fatality rate suggesting it would have had to have been a large firefight for all 3 to die.... No, Sean, gunshots are 100% fatal when it's an execution shot!

I am surprised that the IDF have admitted they shot them and even mentioned they were topless (possibly to show no hidden bombs) and waving a white flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,064 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If it had been three Palestinian men, who'd never done a thing wrong in their life, they'd be just labelled as Hamas and their executioners given medals. It's sick. What's even sicker is the people posting on an Irish site trying to facilitate and prolong such atrocities by repeating propaganda and lies.

I posted yesterday in relation to the story of the civilian with the AK47 who was killed by the IDF inside Israel. They shot him on sight and later found out he was "one of their own". Their attempted cover-up failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There's a detailed account on social media of how they shot the three hostages dead. Apparently, even after they had been killed, the IDF were relaxed about what had happened, until it was noticed that one of the dead had ginger hair and pale features i.e. it was of no consequence whatsoever to them that they may have just shot three innocent Palestinian civilians dead.

How many innocent people have these ****s killed in Gaza by gunfire?

This is the closest that article comes to saying one side pulled back from talks, and it was Israel.

No significant progress has been made on stopping the war – even temporarily – since last month, when Israel pulled back its Mossad negotiators from Doha after an agreement with Hamas could not be reached through Qatari mediation.

Your original post was a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭volchitsa

You were using it about me.

As your link shows, there are different meanings, so my question was: in what sense were you using it about me?

Do you mean that a Zionist is anyone who think that Israel has a right to exist at all? Or someone who wants a single state for the whole of some hypothetical "Greater Israel"? Because those are not the same things, and the latter certainly doesn't apply to me.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

As you even quote. That was last month, the previous ceasefire collapsed after Hamas attacks. It made the news.

Things can change in short periods of time, even in an instant.

What is happening now can and is often different to what happened in the past.

Progress has not been made, doesn't exclude what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭dmcdona

The quicker normality can be restored? Are you serious? Gaza, whatever is left of it, will never be normal again.

Mark Regev (as heard recently on Drive Time) as reported by the BBC:

"Mark Regev, senior adviser to the Israeli prime minister, has given some details on how the difficulties of combat in Gaza could have led to the IDF mistakenly killing the three hostages held by Hamas. Asked what the IDF's rules of engagement are - which officials say its forces went against in killing the hostages - Regev says some have to be kept confidential because "Hamas is listening to our conversations".

"But it's clear we don't want to kill the innocent or our hostages.

"One problem we face is that Hamas don't wear uniforms, they wear civilian clothes, they are terrorists. There have been incidents in the past where they supposedly surrender and then attack our forces. "Suddenly you think an area is clean and someone comes out of a door or underground tunnel and fires at our forces." He says "there has to be action taken" if IDF soldiers broke its rules of engagement."

A lot of holes in that statement I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think the reason Regev will not disclose the IDF's rules of engagement because it appears there are none. And Hamas know that - so why the cloak and dagger stuff? Couldn't be because he's lying could it?

"A mother and daughter were killed inside the Holy Family Church complex (Gaza City). Earlier in the week, two men were killed while they were coming and going from the building - a bin collector and a janitor."

The full scale of what the IDF has done and is doing is starting to trickle out. No surprise that journalists are banned from Gaza - wouldn't want the truth coming out. I fear that more harrowing details will likely come out over the weeks and months ahead and Israel will have a lot more to answer for to its own people and the world.

Full report:

Layla Moran's family among hundreds trapped in Gaza church - BBC News

I sincerely doubt it will this time - perhaps in 30 years' time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement