Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prime Time Gender Issues (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How many gay people have suddenly realised that they are actually straight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Trans have been involved in the lgbt movement even before the stonewall riots. Since before gays had any rights. The worse thing for the lgb folks is straight conservatives trying to limit their rights still based on a perceived gay agenda.

I would say you would find alot who claim to be straight, who are actually gay, who live in conservative parts of America or are forced to undergo conversion therapy by their parents. You do realise that there still parts of western society that is not welcoming to gay people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you read the article you quoted?

case of the troubled 22-year-old

I was actually asking about cases involving people from Ireland though.

Same happened with left handed kids in school in the 60s, if you beat them often enough, they stopped being left handed.

If you actually allow people to be trans, then yes, more people will be trans. Why is this seen as a bad thing?

Have you spoken to many people with disabilities about your plan to reduce them? Because lots of people with disabilities would not agree with you. There is a view in the d/Deaf community in particular that they have a unique culture and anyone considering "curing" them can FRO. Some people in that community see measures such as cochlear implants as equivalent to using whitening soap to "cure" black people of being black.

It was far from voluntary when it was forced on you by your family or your community. It was, and is, abhorrent torture.

Surprise, surprise - people are different and people change. Why do want to impose your position on other people?

So why reference it? It doesn't say what you suggested it said. Is that your third or fourth attempt at disinformation about surgery for non adults?

So what is her plan to reduce trans people about? How is the reduction achieved?

Did it ever strike you that perhaps there could be a very very large difference between being a trans woman and "man liking/enjoying things that aren't uber macho"? These two scenarios aren't in the same ballpark.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's worse than cruel. She literally wants to mandate trans people out of existence.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Well I introduced Helen to this thread seeing as she's the author of a best selling book on the subject, she's also Irish and she's a bloody good antidote to the Trans lobby who hate her intellect. So many other experts in the field, from Maya Forstater to Julie Bindal, to Stella O'Malley, Rosie Duffield, Sall Grover (OZ), Peter Boghossian, Sharon Davies, not forgetting best selling author Andrew Doyle, the list of knowledgeable people goes on......

I can give some answer re reducing disability and that is progressing medical science, information & care. To some extent we have made progress re preventing children being born with Spina Bifida, by advocating Folic Acid supplements and/to be incorporated into the diet of women planning pregnancy. Likewise pregnant women are advised not to drink or smoke. Some prenatal therapies are being increasingly undertaken to help minimise children being born with additional medical needs. The trend in the developed world is progressing forward and children born with CF are being afforded early therapy to prevent the relentless progression of disability that comes with it.

Since the jury is well out on causes of transgender issues, and indeed the autism that may be associated with it, there’s a hell of a lot of science yet to be learned. Some autism is genetic, but certain substances (eg paracetamol consumed during pregnancy) have been postulated to be associated with it. Time & clinical research will tell more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭volchitsa

But it's not just about reducing the numbers of people born disabled, though there are lots of ways of doing that, eg giving vitamin D to women planning a pregnancy reduces the numbers of children born with spina bifida, and putting pregnant women with certain chronic illnesses like epilepsy on less dangerous drugs during their pregnancy can also reduce disability, though it also requires extra surveillance of the woman, as the drug may also be less effective.

There are also measures that can be taken to stop children developing disabilities, like treating eye infections so a child doesn't go blind.

So for transgender people, one problem, as I explained earlier, is that there are children with gender dysphoria who grow out of it, except when given puberty blocking drugs - which means that it's likely that the drugs themselves are stopping them from "desisting" ie getting over their dysphoria naturally. It's an experimental treatment, and there are no double blind studies available that would allow us to know for sure what's going on there. But that's exactly why it's reckless to keep using them as though they were properly tested and not experimental in this indication.

And because it has become such a frequent treatment, there's now enough evidence of people like Keira Bell whom it has failed, because it has kept them on the drugs and surgery pathway long enough for irreversible harm to be done, but who in the end came to the conclusion that they had "just" had gender dysphoria as teens - often related to other mental health issues - and were not actually transgender, but had been led to think they were because of the drug treatment they were given.

Didn't you watch the Primetime report the other night?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

If the argument is that gender is different than sex, why are you lumping sexuality and sexual preference into the trans debate?

There is absolutely nothing linking being gay and being trans!

Disabled people have been involved in the LGB movement since day1, where is their letter? What about bald people?

Its a patently, demonstrably ridiculous standpoint that is clearly done to make it next to impossible to talk about trans in anything other than a positive spin.

• Advertisement

That says more about that movement that they value her opinion I suppose.

Keep telling them they don't exist in order to reduce and eliminate them...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Claiming to be straight out of fear of persecution is not exactly the same thing as changing your mind about being gay. Of course you know this and are just being disingenuous and strawmanning.

You go ahead and explain to me what a man is and what a woman is and how one knows one from the other and perhaps then we can talk.

You do realise I’m badly mobility impaired? That I have progressive MS that will likely render me in a nursing home in a couple of years, that I’ve had lifelong colitis and ileostomy, cardiac issues? Like, you are here looking at somebody who knows about disability, who has publicly campaigned in my youth for disability as well as publicly campaigning for unfortunate people who de eloped AIDS. Maybe before you were born before all I know.

I was responding to your statement that the T is the worst thing to happen to the lgb movement. I was merely pointing out how false that statement is as the T do not seek to reduce the rights of those in the lgb community while the conservative movement does.

• Advertisement

Maybe she believes that the vast majority of trans people dont exist anywhere other than in their own heads?

Lumping T in with LGB definitely damages LGB right.

If trans people want to support gay rights then go right ahead, why do they need to tack the T onto the end?

It's lucky she is not an expert in the area or a psychologist then.

I know it’s by extremist activists but I’ve seen a lot of lesbian women being termed TERFS

Yes, because she is definitely the only person in the world who holds this opinion.

• Advertisement

Trans have been part of the movement since thr 60s why do want to throw them out of it? I guess it made more sense then because they were both minorities being denwid rights by Conservative society. I have yet to hear a coherent how having T in the movement is damaging the movement.

Are you talking about reducing eating disorders or treating eating disorders?

Well if you note it's extremist then it is not agood reason to decouple the t from the lgtbq movement.

You should report it to the relevant police force so. Congrats on your ability to diagnose and recommend treatment based on a Daily Heil sh1t stirring article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@AndrewJRenko Did you read the article you quoted?

case of the troubled 22-year-old

I was actually asking about cases involving people from Ireland though.

He or they were 14 at the time unable to read or write but yet could consent to life changing surgery,

Now you want case's involving people from Ireland,if they are being sent to the same clinic it's safe to say it's can or could had already happened, this the same clinic who was coaching vulnerable children how to ask and demand puberty blockers,

So that article is not based on what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Because a few examples of extremist name-calling have happened on this thread. So I have to conclude that when the intellect is decoupled from the argument it is veering into extremist territory. Though I do understand if people are very emotionally involved in an area this can happen.

But again I don't see how the T is hurting the lgbtq. I see extremist voices on the anti trans side too. If the T activists are not activately seeking rights to diminished on the lgb side I can only conclude that it is a divide and conquer approach to weaken the whole lgbtq movement.

I’m not part of that movement on any side, I would be called cis/hetero, but I was persistently called a Tomboy as a kid when I considered it maybe a bit insulting, insinuating I was different for having almost no typical girls’ interests and often preferring the company of boys. I feel nowadays under modern pressures I might very well have gone down the trans affirming route. I hated to be called “a little girl”, I would often indignantly insist “I’m not a little girl”. In reality I didn’t know what I wanted to be called, I was a bit envious of boys who didn’t have to explain their ways. That’s an aside as to why I have a peripheral interest in the subject.

However the extreme sides of the “debate” for want of a better word, are hugely prominent on social media, most especially Twitter/X where some of the most absurd people spouting hell fire garner attention, almost obliterating people who can better explain the issues.

• Advertisement

It seems though that there is a perception that the medical establishment is pushing kids or adults into unnecessary surgery nefariously. I don't think there is adequate evidence to support this.

Something non political and personal to the people involved should not be used as a wedge issue in the culture wars between right and left but it seems that in the last few years it has.

This is an example of tone deaf posting here. My progressive disability is well-known on this site and yes I would loooove it to be cured. It will not be cured by current science though. Why on God’s earth would I have a plan to reduce people like myself? I would love to reduce the very cruel crippling and painful disability though, I’d have more ability to get out and about and ironically spend less time on social media. I’m here a lot because my own world is closing in giving me ever less choice.

It’s an insulting post.

The extreme voices are the ones damaging the movement and nobody says boo to those voices.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm sure I could but I have no intention of trawling the net to provide them for you as if you are cross examining me in a witness box.

I know exactly what 'affirmative care' is all about and where it has come from and that is the idealogical view that people are transgender because they are in fact the gender they feel they are, and that they should legally and socially be regarded equivalent to their 'cis' equivalent. There isn't a hope in hell this is ever going to happen. It couldn't possibly happen even if there were no gender critics at all. It's impossible all on it's own.

When a psychiatrist evaluates a patient it is not that they are attempting to ascertain that the male in front of them is a girl/woman (or visa versa), but that the person in front of them is typically transgender or something else. Two completely different things. The psychiatrist clinical need not give a jot whether they personally believe the patient is a man or woman or not.

What they have to do is classify them. That is they evaluate them and match them to types of people they've encounter before and then recommend them for treatment if any in accordance with the classification they've evaluated them as. And that is because the people in front of them are not all the same, i.e. the do not all have the same psychology.

Dr. Az Hakeem alludes to this here https://youtu.be/No1ux09kPwY?t=465 where he says there's not a single thing called 'trans' in his professional opinion as he has dealt with a whole spectrum of psychologies.

None of this is news to me, as I've encounter first hand, transexuals, transvestites/autogynephiliacs, hyper-effeminate homosexuals etc. And that is because you'd more likely encounter them socially on the gay scene than anywhere else.

So the reason affirmative care approach can't work should now be obvious to all. And that is because it could put people on a path of medical treatment that is not appropriate for them, which is why the two Irish gender doctors lodged a formal complaint to the HSE, the subject of this thread.

I would say in the scheme of things very few children have been going or “being pushed” through the process. But it does have to be said that a very small number of doctors do not act in the interests of patients, and are motivated by things like money. So the issues have to have light thrown on them, to see if medical services are best serving their clients. Look at the disaster CAMHS has been in its lack of oversight.

The extremist voices are generally the ones talking to each other in this debate on both sides it makes the arguments so emotive. Like most issues I just go with what the medical establishments view is, I don't think they are trying to pressurise people to transition.

The only time we didn't see this emotive argument lately was,in the Enoch Burke case where the extreme views were only expressed on one side.

That is fine perceived wrongdoing should be investigated. I am concerned though that the threat has been overblown for political reasons, that people are trying to isolate trans people from the lgbt movement to make them easier to attack, and that voices from non psychologists are being amplified to create a moral panic.

Do you think it isn't extremist to be campaigning to mandate trans people out of existence, to be extensively quoting anti semitic conspiracy theories from Jennifer Bilek that Jewish people created trans people, to be stamping on and Ripping up a pride flag.

https://www.adl.org/resources/blog/antisemitism-anti-lgbtq-hate-converge-extremist-and-conspiratorial-beliefs

In her 2021 book, Trans, The Economist’s Helen Joyce claimed that the transgender “global agenda” is “shaped” by three wealthy individuals, including Soros and Pritzker. Though Joyce did not explicitly highlight their Jewish identity, her statements echo the frequent conspiracy theories which portray Soros as the mastermind behind plots to undermine or destabilize societies. These conspiracy theories serve to mainstream the hateful tropes that are propagated by antisemites and extremists.

Jennifer Bilek, a prominent anti-transgender writer, has also referenced Pritzker and Soros, including in a 2018 article which claimed that “transgenderism” is “manufactured” as part of an effort “to normalize altering human biology” and in a 2022 article in Tablet magazine about the Pritzker family. Bilek’s writings have been shared by antisemites, and she in turn has openly called attention to the Jewish identity of those she blames for the so-called “transgender project” and the broader “transhumanist agenda.” Bilek shared a video in 2021 from antisemitic YouTuber Keith Woods about “Transhumanism and Judaism” and in 2022 commented that the Pritzkers “actually are promoting a religion but it isn’t Judaism - it is the religious cult of Transhumanism.”

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

So the gay rights movement is more about rights for minorities than it is about rights for gay people?

Trans rights have nothing to do with gay rights, I have no problem with trans people supporting gay rights, but trans people are not gay people any more than bald gingers are gay people.

If you cant see that the only way to reduce eating disorders to to treat them then I'm not sure I can help you.

I think we are going round in circles here. You stated that the T is the worse thing to happen to the lgbt movements in year. You provided no argument for this assertion.

The T have been part of the gay rights movement for years and I see no reason why they should separate. They each support each other and I see no reason why this shouldn't continue.

The reason you decouple it is that being trans has nothing to do with your sexuality, gender != sex is one of the basic ideas behind the trans movement right?

Yes. And?

If you could argue the point it would be both useful and surprising.

I dont know how many times I can explain it.

Trans has nothing to do with being gay. Why would it be beneficial to the Gay Rights movement? It dilutes the entire argument if you bundle in things that are nothing to do with homo or bi-sexuality.

If you dilute the message of a movement then of course its damaging. Note that I have explained several times that the problem is not trans people supporting gay rights, bundling Trans rights into conversations about Gay rights is the problem.

Btw, they dont all support each other as you purport.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1TV0V0/

• Advertisement

Do you want them scrubbed from the pride flag too? Of all the trans issues out there the T leaving the lgbtq umbrella seems pretty low. I would think the t people would like being part of the lgbtq movement even if they are perfectly aligned in gender and sexuality as you say. I'm still baffled Why you think the T being part of lgbtq is bad for either party.

Well considering Pride was setup by a group of hay rights activists, yeah, it also has nothing to do with trans.

Restoring LGB isnt a trans issue, thats the whole bloody point I'm making. Stop turning everything into a trans issue or looking at it from a trans lens. Gay rights are rights for gay people, nothing to do with people who have a problem with their gender.

I'm sure the T people absolutely love being part of the LGB movement, lots of fringe groups love to jump on the band wagon of a successful movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

They can never be eliminated thanks to humans giving birth, which begs the question Annasopra "What is a woman"?

According to wiki lgbt has been used since 1988, so not sure how you think they are jumping on the bandwagon. Lgbt as a term is a trans issue as they are included in the umbrella term. If you want to only use the term lgb that is fine, it's a free country, but lgbt is the more commonly used term.

This is great news, you've found a chemical cause for transgender. What chemicals are involved and where can I see the published papers of your findings please?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement