Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So you believe the Palestinean population that have by & large supported this depravity must take full responsibility aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

"An exercise in how to make yourself hated" you say. So is your argument that after WW2, the Jews were universally loved and respected? And that it's only their own behaviour since then that has "undone" all that love and respect?

Which is kind of odd, because going by how the non Nazi governments behaved towards Jews who tried to flee the Nazis, it's not clear to me who exactly you think did all this "hard work" to create good feeling toward Jews, nor even really when it was expressed towards them, TBF.

More a sort of embarrassment at how little they had done to save Jews once the scale of Nazi killings became impossible to deny, is really all I can see.

I posted a link from a Christian site based in Jerusalem - you posted links from Al Jazeera, which is funded by Qatar, a country with strong links to Hamas.

But yeah, your links are totally reliable and even disprove mine, even though mine, unlike yours, also hold up in terms of real life numbers: the Christian population in Gaza is almost extinct, whereas the Christian population in Israel is stable and even thriving in economic terms.

Maybe you can find a link from Islamic Resistance to prove me even wronger? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

One already did the other night when he said that they voted for Hamas. That was a justification for being a target to him. That is also how the IDF is thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

While Israel being the world's only Jewish state is probably part of this, I think there's more to it.

I've seen many posters here make erroneous references to the demographics of Israeli Jews, and the sense that I get is that some of the Left - though not all - view Israel as having committed the cardinal sin in their religion of radical Leftism: that of supposedly being a white settler colony. It is for this reason above all else that some posters here want the State of Israel to be annihilated and others subject it to standards no other belligerent fighting for its existence have been held to.

And I say "supposedly" because the data directly contradict them. Firstly the white part. The demographics of Israeli Jews show that only 30% of them are of full blooded European or European-American ancestry. The vast majority have full or part Middle Eastern ancestry by blood. The reason for this is not difficult to understand. The Mizrahi Israeli Jews made Aliyah as refugees from other parts of the Middle East since 1947. Not that it should matter, as Israel is a religious state, not an ethnic state, but to some on the Left, skin colour is everything and some are born with original sin based on same.

As to Israel being a "settler" state, again no. The demographics are clear. Most of those who made their journey to Israel did so as refugees, from various conflicts all over the world. And 80% of Israeli Jews were born in Israel, so yes, by definition it is their country, especially if they do not have citizenship of any other.

As to being a "colonial" state/whatever, this is also false. A colony must, by definition, have a Metropolitan State. That is, an overseas territory of an Empire or other form of realm must have a clearly defined homeland for people of the realm, with which the colonial adventurers identify, the way European countries had overseas possessions prior to World War 2. Israel cannot thus be a colony because the Jews did not have a homeland. They did not expand an existing realm into Israel, their Metropolitan State IS Israel. Being generous, you could claim that the settlements in the Disputed Territories are colonies, but only if you accept that Israel within the '67 borders is the Metropolitan State - i.e. the homeland of the Israeli people.

Yet nobody who claims that Israel itself is a colony can tell us exactly where the Jewish metropolitan state is.

The last possible reason for Israel being hated so much could be envy and spite - that is, precisely because it's not a s***hole that it's getting dunked on so much.

• Advertisement

So you expect a terrorist organisation to have a higher moral standing than Israel has?? Brilliant. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They have had to work hard at building up their legacy since WW2, a slow process of overcoming doubts and winning people to their story. And now destroyed their hard work in the past couple of months. I knew local Jewish lads growing up, just like the rest of us, except for various traditions. We went to college and they were talking of their military service. A most belligerent state.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Man, you are really clutching at straws with the whataboutery. "Israeli can target and attack Christians cos sure here's an Israeli propaganda blog saying some Christians weren't treated well in Gaza in 2008"

I already posted a video from a US channel

At some stage you might look back and regret the obnoxious views you currently hold. Maybe, maybe not. There are lives being destroyed at the minute. Brown lives, but lives nonetheless. Some of us count them as equal.

Belligerent, or just a state that had been attacked several times by bigger countries like Egypt and Syria?

Ireland was unusual for a long time in not having military service. Were France, Germany and Spain all "belligerent" for having had military service until the 21st century?

Sweden, Austria and Switzerland still have national service had military service. Are they also "most belligerent" countries?

• Advertisement

You keep making reference to Irish history.....................but it seems from your understanding of them, that you aren't actually familiar with it at all.........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

As does Bibi. The only reason the Israeli war cabinet want another ceasefire is due to the killing of the three hostages by the IDF and the heat that has brought as we see in the protests. Also if your defense of what's going on in Gaza hinges on what other Arab countries might do in war it's a pretty low bar, especially since you deem Israel to be democratic and liberal compared to many of the countries surrounding them. Hey, look 18,500 civilian may have died in Gaza, but sure it would be a lot worse if it was the likes of Iraq prosecuting the war. The Palestinians civilians should really be grateful it's the IDF prosecuting the war not the Iraqis or Syrians!

There' a difference between whataboutery and pointing out hypocrisy and double standards.

You're trying to claim that Israel is wrong in this war in Gaza because Christians are badly treated by a tiny minority of Jewish extremists, even though your own links mentioned the people responsible being arrested. It's not whataboutery to point out that if you're concerned about the wellbeing of Christians in that region, it's strange that you don't care that Hamas, the government of Gaza, treats its Christians FAR worse than Israel does.

Of course, if what you really want to do is grab straws to make out that "Israel Bad" then I can see why you don't like being confronted by facts.

If you have a point to make, why don't you make it? Do you think the Republic of Ireland did have national military service at some stage in its existence? Why don't you find us some links so we can all have a laugh?

Yadda yadda yadda.

If that's all you have then we're finished here. Christians routinely attacked in Israel. Jewish groups describe such attacks as legitimate traditions. Even their President had to make statements against such attacks because they were so frequent and were garnering so much Western media attention.

Is your response "no, the President was mistaken and such attacks do not occur". No, it's "but but but, quick, look over there, here is an Israeli funded blog that said some people weren't treated well in Gaza in 2008". It's a complete non-sequitur.

So you actually admit your post has nothing do with the war in Gaza, but is just an attempt to make out that Israelis are bad.

OK that's clear enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No, just explaining to the questioner that a ceasefire requires both sides to agree. Hth

OK. I doubt Hamas will agree. They will know that the Israelis are under pressure regarding the hostages. If they agree another ceasefire then Israel will try bargaining for another prisoner swap. If Hamas release their prisoners Hamas knows that Israel will flatten what's left of Gaza. The Israelis also know that the pressure is now on them to free the hostages and they will have to take risks on the ground. That is where Hamas is strongest and they will love taking the IDF on in an urban area or tunnel areas. Heavy losses predicted if they try that.

Please do try to keep up. A BBC report was given of a UK MP who has family members holed up in a Christian church/facility in Gaza. Two Palestinian Christian women - a mother and daughter - were murdered there by Israeli snipers. They were of no threat to the IDF and there were no belligerents in the area. They basically shot them for the fun of it.

I merely added context about the Israeli man-on-the-street attitude to Christians. you have to reach for the whataboutery, going on about an Israeli blog about stories from 2007. complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

So, a genocide is only a genocide if it compares favourably to previous genocides?

You keep denying this is genocide - your cohort is getting smaller by the day.

Posted previously here but to help you with your own research, try this:

Is What's Happening in Gaza a Genocide? Experts Weigh In  | TIME

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

“overcoming doubts”! After WW 2?

You appear to have issues with them/Israel regardless of the Palestinians issue. Interesting.

Currently, Israel is doing a good job of providing factual evidence for anyone observing that whatever happens from here on in, it's their own fault.

Can't recall who (American?) but it was said a good while back that whilst this may be a tactical victory, it is a strategic defeat for Israel.

And if you believe what you say is true, have you ever stopped to think "I wonder why that might be?".

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

“brown lives”. Sigh. How many times have you tried this in the thread? It’s pathetic.

Seems like you fed up hearing people going on about all those brown lives being ended? Perhaps you'd rather that the international media just didn't bother reporting on them so that the IDF could concentrate on ramping up numbers even more efficiently.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

"It is for this reason above all else that some posters here want the State of Israel to be annihilated and others subject it to standards no other belligerent fighting for its existence have been held to."

I genuinely haven't seen anyone in this thread call for the annihilation of Israel. Evidence please.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You might be on to something, if there weren't tens of thousands dead Palestinians who were killed by Israel in the last 2 months, hundreds of thousands injured, and millions displaced and suffering from loss of food, fuel and security.

This perpetual demand for Jews to be seen as the victim no longer is accepted without question.

We've heard too much from their leadership and ambassadors about how they truly view Palestine, your complete dismissal of their acts in and around Palestine say it all.

If you really cared about the Jewish people, you wouldn't be advocating for their leaders to make so much of the world look unfavorably on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

I stand corrected, the term used was "obliterate" not "annihilate." My bad.

Snooker Loopy called for Israel to be obliterated in post 24634:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121494784/#Comment_121494784

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think you're very much overstating it.

It wasn't the last bombing of German cities and fire bombing went on not least in the great fire raids in Japan with a greater loss of life than the atomic bombings.

If there was the outcry you're suggesting that wouldn't have happened. How could it be that shocking after all the bombing of cities that had been done by all sides for many years.

Partly the reason it's more prominent in people's consciousness (and no one mentions all the other bombing) is the Nazi used it as propaganda calling it terror bombing and overstating the death toll. (Ironic since they had bombed civilians in the Spanish civil war and firebombing in the blitz etc.) They also down played the military activities in and around Dresden.

Anyway that has become the narrative.

Not to dismiss the horror of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's been trigger happy soldiers in every war and friendly fire. Regardless of smart or high tech weapons. Bit naive to think otherwise.

Its not the first time there's been such incidents with Israel (or others in the region). Not entirely sure why people are shocked by it.

Advertisement