Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a way to get a UK parcel delivered to a NI address (pref. Newry) where it can be collected?

Options
  • 28-01-2023 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24 TotesRandomer

Something like a P.O box or Parcel Motel?

This is for an Amazon.co.uk purchase as I've been burnt by charges in having Amazon.co.uk stuff delivered to my Irish address.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

Check out oohPOD, based in Jonesborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭FreshCoffee

I'll second OOHPOD. Used it a few times and it works fine.

However unlike the old Parcel Motel system that had lockers all over Ireland you have to go up to Jonesborough, collect the package from their lockers and 'import' the package yourself by driving back down over the border.

So I find it's really only useful if you are near the border, make regular trips north for other purposes or are willing to make the trip up because it's a product you can't get otherwise shipped directly to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TotesRandomer

Thank you gipi and FreshCoffee! Exactly what I was looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

One other option is to use an Amazon hub address.

It's generally only for items sold directly by Amazon, not their 3rd party sellers.

The nearest one to Newry is Cloughoge Post Office. No charge for collecting (parcels are held for a week).

I have used it many times, most recently for a rather large coffee machine!

If you set up the hub address and select it as a delivery address, you'll be able to see what can be delivered there by Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

You Can have it delivered to a Post Office and collect it:

First Name... Surname

Post Restante

Post Office

Street Name

Town

Post Code

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/poste-restante#:~:text=Poste%20Restante%20is%20s%20service,Office%20Branch%20in%20the%20UK.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure but I don't think Poste Restante works unless the item arrives at the post office through the mail system? In other words if an Amazon or DHL van arrives at the post office and tries to deliver a package for you, the post office will not accept it? So perhaps you would need to be sure the sender is using the post system.

Thanks to gipi for the info on using an Amazon hub. The Cloughoge Post Office seems quite close to Jonesborough and holding an item for a week makes it more flexible from a collection point of view. OOHPOD items are only held for two days for the basic charge and the costs start increasing the longer you leave it with them. On the other hand I have been using them for eBay purchases which obviously won't go through an Amazon hub!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Hi sorry to hijack the thread.

Will Oopod work when say buying a sim free phone on Ebay from England using a Revolut card?

Will it cut out the €100+ customs charge that would be applied if it was posted to the Republic?

Basically yes. The seller on eBay is shipping whatever you buy to another location in the UK (eg OOHPOD in Jonesborough). (Note some sellers will not ship some products to Northern Ireland for various reasons). It is then your responsibility to travel to Northern Ireland, collect your package from the OOHPOD locker and import it yourself by travelling back home with it. There is no customs post when travelling between the North and the South so there is no customs charge applied in this instance. It's basically a grey area due to the Irish Government's insistence that Brexit should not result in a customs border between North and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Its not a grey area and nothing to do with any government insistence of no customs border. It is very much rooted in the all party joint jurisdiction Good Friday agreement. Northern Ireland doe not have any borders with EU countries (not just Ireland) and there is free movement of good and people between NI & the EU.

So a person can have something sent to NI and they can bring it down here 100% legal and above board and very black and white

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You said it yourself, free movement between NI and the EU, not the rest of the UK and the EU. Goods sent from the UK to Ireland must be cleared and have customs charges paid. Sending via NI for eventual destination in the Republic is smuggling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sainsbury's Newry for Argos and perhaps ebay click and collect.

Amazon page - https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=22579570031 no idea if third parties on Amazon can use this.

Returns would be tricky though.

• Smuggling it may be, but it's something that's virtually impossible to police since hardly anybody is voluntarily going to tell the RoI customs service they've imported a parcel originally sourced from GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rorys

Has anyone used Parcel Collection Depot in Jonesborough

www.parcelcollectiondepot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

Yes super service, highly recommend. Really sound guy to deal with. Just off the motorway so handy to find aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

For those of us way down south is there anything like parcel motel anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There never will be as it would be smuggling.

You can use AddressPal but you'll pay all the taxes and charges that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

That sounds like what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Amazon Prime. Video, books, delivery, etc. worth every penny IMV. Got rid of Netflix and this is less than half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Not sure if this is a silly question, but if I sign up for a an account with OOHPOD, I presume I have to give them my ROI address for billing. If I get an item sent from the UK to the Jonesborough depot, there's no way that would be seen as trying to get around the customs and duties rules and get you in trouble, would it? Because if I use AddressPal, I would be liable for those customs and duties, right? Is it not technically dodgy?

Do they ask you for ID when you go to collect the parcel?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

It's not quite what I'm asking. I'm asking if in practice there is any problem, you seem to be referring to theoretical.

Essentially, do the people in OOHPOD care or enforce anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

No they don’t. If it is small, it will be in a locker and you interact with no-one. If it is large, you go into the office, give your details and you get given your package. Thirty second transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not sure if they are still running but there is a service on Facebook called Border Parcel Motel who will receive your parcel, bring it over the border and re-post it with An Post. I used them about two years back and it worked but wasnt that cheap compared to the Parcel Motel days when we got an all in service for €4 per drop. iirc it was €5 processing fees and then another €12 to post it to me so as the item was only worth about £50 it wasnt really worth it. However it would be for items that are higher value. And I can confirm it worked the one time I did use it. It wasnt fast but the item got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Duffers11

Hi, would anybody know if there is any companies in Northern Ireland that take extra large deliveries. The goods I need to collect from an address in Northern Ireland is gates which are around 5m x 2m. They don’t deliver to the republic but said they can deliver to any NI address. Any help greatly appreciated.

Advertisement