Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭dmcdona

I think the reason Regev will not disclose the IDF's rules of engagement because it appears there are none. And Hamas know that - so why the cloak and dagger stuff? Couldn't be because he's lying could it?

"A mother and daughter were killed inside the Holy Family Church complex (Gaza City). Earlier in the week, two men were killed while they were coming and going from the building - a bin collector and a janitor."

The full scale of what the IDF has done and is doing is starting to trickle out. No surprise that journalists are banned from Gaza - wouldn't want the truth coming out. I fear that more harrowing details will likely come out over the weeks and months ahead and Israel will have a lot more to answer for to its own people and the world.

Full report:

Layla Moran's family among hundreds trapped in Gaza church - BBC News

I sincerely doubt it will this time - perhaps in 30 years' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There are many ignorant posters on here whom I suspect hate Palestinians because they think they are exclusively muslim. But there are Christians living in both Gaza and the West Bank. They are in danger, not from Hamas, but from Israelis.

How are Christians treated in Israel proper? There is a time honoured tradition of Jews spitting at them

And this video, admittedly from some US Christian channel, where the sent a reporter to investigate, and within about 5 minutes of dressing up and walking around with a priest, had been spat on multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The state of Israel, and the IDF, has done more to foster anti-Jewish sentiment in the last two months than Hamas has done in 50 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I suspect it won't take long for certain posters to present mental gymnastics to basically say they got what they deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭brickster69

Looks like they are after churches now. A global pariah without a doubt.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Sharone Lifschitz is the British-Israeli daughter of Yocheved, 85 - one of the first hostages released from Hamas captivity in Gaza in late October. Her father, Oded, 83 is still missing and believed to be held hostage in the Strip.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's PM programme: "Israel has a moral duty towards the citizens it abandoned on 7 October. As the time passes that moral duty is becoming more and more urgent."

The hostage families appear to have had enough. I see a ground swell of opinion building that could, hopefully, force a ceasefire.

It seems to me that the Israeli War Cabinet, whilst placating the hostage families and the general population to their faces, have always had a very different game plan. I don't see any attempts whatsoever to free the hostages. Looks to me like it a total free for all for the IDF.

Who was it who said "The most moral army in the world"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sorry, have Hamas stopped their aggression? No rockets into Israel?

Both sides have to agree to a ceasefire. Hamas did for awhile then started shooting again.

And that is an absolute disgrace. The Israeli War Cabinet have pushed this way too far to the detriment of everyone who lives in Israel and to Israelis and Jews further afield.

Its hard to know how this will pan out - I see Netanyahu already got his political campaign underway in the midst of the bombing. They should hang their heads in shame (but they won't of course). They couldn't have scored a worse own goal.

And ordinary people continue suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

"The genocide which is being committed is totally unprecedented in modern times"

This just isn't true at all. You might want to do some research about some actual genocides that have taken place in modern times

• Registered Users Posts: 25,552 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Remember kids, the IDF definitely doesn't kill civilians on purpose

Can't wait to see the usual lads try and defend this.

https://twitter.com/swilkinsonbc/status/1736091046671495339?t=o9EExoxXa3nU3JV8v2xm7w&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The regime defenders on social media are going through all sorts of mental gymnastics to explain the IDF killing their own people i.e. "Hamas is well known for pretending to surrender and waving white flags and then detonating suicide bombs" - meaning these armchair psychopaths are giving the IDF full permission to kill literally anybody it chooses in Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I saw it on twitter it must be true. From someone that cheered on a terrorist attack in Leicester? In a hospital that was captured 4 days ago after heavy fighting: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/12/israeli-forces-raid-gazas-kamal-adwan-hospital-after-days-of-strikes

(you know, one of those hospitals where Hamas isn't present)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

There were under 1000 christians left in Gaza before October 7th, and none in prominent positions, because if you aren't Muslim, you can't really take part in public life. It's got so bad that christians themselves complained that even the foreign christian charities operating there often preferred to employ local muslims rather than local christians because the christians were always at a disadvantage with regard to contact with the local (Hamas) administration.

In 2013 there were still 3000 Christians in Gaza, about 0.15% of the Arab population, and they were barely hanging on due to constant attacks from Muslim extremists.

By Oct 2023 there were under 1000. Christian women are harassed in the street if they don't wear the veil. None of that is Israel's doing. In fact in Israel about 7% of Arab Israelis are Christian, and they tend to be in positions like doctors, lawyers and even judges. It was an Arab Christian High Court judge who sentenced an ex president of Israel to prison for rape. he has since gone on to join the Supreme Court. There is no comparison with the lives of Christians in Gaza who are oppressed and harassed by the Muslim extremists running the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They have indeed undone a lot of hard work since WW2, just thrown it away. All so a belligerent government could try & avoid losing power. But the Israeli population have by & large supported this depravity and must take full responsibility. An exercise in how to make yourself hated.

We can keep at this all day.

Happy for you to share your evidence of all these atrocities against Christians in Gaza. Regardless, it does absolutely nothing to reduce the discrimination and hated shown to them in Israel. I've posted you two videos above. No doubt you will dismiss them. Even the clips of the Israeli President with the bishop and the President calling for an end to such attacks.

As the radio presenter I posted a video of the other days says "Maybe your evidence 'goes to another school' "

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

I see the IDF killed some Jewish hostages in Gaza. That apparently has sparked protests in Israel. Yet the Israeli's were not sufficiently perturbed by the mass slaughter of Palestinians to protest. Very disheartening. Worryingly for Israel Hezbollah has upped the ante destroying a military installation in Northern Israel.

Netanyahu's policy of ethnic cleansing and genocide has brought forward the real possibility of Israel's statehood ceasing to exist in 20 years time if not sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I can't think of any other race/ethnicity where it's acceptable to blame them for being attacked but when it comes to Jews, it's all their own fault. It's a tale as old as time at this point, and just proves why Israel needs to exist in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So you believe the Palestinean population that have by & large supported this depravity must take full responsibility aswell?

• Advertisement

"An exercise in how to make yourself hated" you say. So is your argument that after WW2, the Jews were universally loved and respected? And that it's only their own behaviour since then that has "undone" all that love and respect?

Which is kind of odd, because going by how the non Nazi governments behaved towards Jews who tried to flee the Nazis, it's not clear to me who exactly you think did all this "hard work" to create good feeling toward Jews, nor even really when it was expressed towards them, TBF.

More a sort of embarrassment at how little they had done to save Jews once the scale of Nazi killings became impossible to deny, is really all I can see.

I posted a link from a Christian site based in Jerusalem - you posted links from Al Jazeera, which is funded by Qatar, a country with strong links to Hamas.

But yeah, your links are totally reliable and even disprove mine, even though mine, unlike yours, also hold up in terms of real life numbers: the Christian population in Gaza is almost extinct, whereas the Christian population in Israel is stable and even thriving in economic terms.

Maybe you can find a link from Islamic Resistance to prove me even wronger? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

One already did the other night when he said that they voted for Hamas. That was a justification for being a target to him. That is also how the IDF is thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

While Israel being the world's only Jewish state is probably part of this, I think there's more to it.

I've seen many posters here make erroneous references to the demographics of Israeli Jews, and the sense that I get is that some of the Left - though not all - view Israel as having committed the cardinal sin in their religion of radical Leftism: that of supposedly being a white settler colony. It is for this reason above all else that some posters here want the State of Israel to be annihilated and others subject it to standards no other belligerent fighting for its existence have been held to.

And I say "supposedly" because the data directly contradict them. Firstly the white part. The demographics of Israeli Jews show that only 30% of them are of full blooded European or European-American ancestry. The vast majority have full or part Middle Eastern ancestry by blood. The reason for this is not difficult to understand. The Mizrahi Israeli Jews made Aliyah as refugees from other parts of the Middle East since 1947. Not that it should matter, as Israel is a religious state, not an ethnic state, but to some on the Left, skin colour is everything and some are born with original sin based on same.

As to Israel being a "settler" state, again no. The demographics are clear. Most of those who made their journey to Israel did so as refugees, from various conflicts all over the world. And 80% of Israeli Jews were born in Israel, so yes, by definition it is their country, especially if they do not have citizenship of any other.

As to being a "colonial" state/whatever, this is also false. A colony must, by definition, have a Metropolitan State. That is, an overseas territory of an Empire or other form of realm must have a clearly defined homeland for people of the realm, with which the colonial adventurers identify, the way European countries had overseas possessions prior to World War 2. Israel cannot thus be a colony because the Jews did not have a homeland. They did not expand an existing realm into Israel, their Metropolitan State IS Israel. Being generous, you could claim that the settlements in the Disputed Territories are colonies, but only if you accept that Israel within the '67 borders is the Metropolitan State - i.e. the homeland of the Israeli people.

Yet nobody who claims that Israel itself is a colony can tell us exactly where the Jewish metropolitan state is.

The last possible reason for Israel being hated so much could be envy and spite - that is, precisely because it's not a s***hole that it's getting dunked on so much.

So you expect a terrorist organisation to have a higher moral standing than Israel has?? Brilliant. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They have had to work hard at building up their legacy since WW2, a slow process of overcoming doubts and winning people to their story. And now destroyed their hard work in the past couple of months. I knew local Jewish lads growing up, just like the rest of us, except for various traditions. We went to college and they were talking of their military service. A most belligerent state.

Man, you are really clutching at straws with the whataboutery. "Israeli can target and attack Christians cos sure here's an Israeli propaganda blog saying some Christians weren't treated well in Gaza in 2008"

I already posted a video from a US channel

At some stage you might look back and regret the obnoxious views you currently hold. Maybe, maybe not. There are lives being destroyed at the minute. Brown lives, but lives nonetheless. Some of us count them as equal.

Belligerent, or just a state that had been attacked several times by bigger countries like Egypt and Syria?

Ireland was unusual for a long time in not having military service. Were France, Germany and Spain all "belligerent" for having had military service until the 21st century?

Sweden, Austria and Switzerland still have national service had military service. Are they also "most belligerent" countries?

• Advertisement

You keep making reference to Irish history.....................but it seems from your understanding of them, that you aren't actually familiar with it at all.........

Advertisement